Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 365 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 392 reviews
on January 3, 2015
I was expecting something completely different, and I have to say, I was a little mislead by the reviews here. For that reason, I am going to leave you a brutally honest review of this book. Please keep in mind a lot of my review has to do with my expectations..but here it goes!
Cons:
>Book is very thin
>Not set up in a way that would inform your child on a certain rock/gem that they have - I was expecting this book to be sort of a guide. Pictures of certain rocks or minerals, their origins, how they are mined, chemical composition, etc. It is more of a collage of information, bursting with images and text boxes scattered through out the pages.
>Feels unorganized - Again, with the scrapbook-like pages of texts and images it feels more like a "fun facts" rather than "educational."
>Kind of a read, but then probably never read again book. I was expecting something more reference like so that you would constantly be using it to identify a new stone.

Pros:
>Book is full of colorful images, and does give kids some information about the "how and where" minerals are made and come from.
>Easy read.
>A safe choice if you are considering it as a gift for another child! Can't go wrong with anything science based, and this book is pretty neat, despite my misunderstanding of it.

To sum up - the book is okay. Not what I expected, but maybe it's what YOU are looking for. If you're looking for a reference guide, this is NOT it. If you're looking for broad and general information on this topic, this may be a good choice.
22 comments| 171 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2012
Good photos and easy for kids to understand. A good way for kids and adults to start learning about rocks and minerals.
on April 11, 2017
It was as expected based on reviews. Not so much a reference or in depth book, but my 4 year old enjoyed looking through it and asking me for information on certain rocks. We purchased a gemstone collection along with this and were able to find a few in the book. He enjoyed placing his rocks on the pages that had matching photos. Over all I'm happy with this purchase.
on December 18, 2015
This was probably my fault but I was hoping this was a kid-friendly guide to different minerals with pictures to help identify types and accompanying info. It's not that at all...more a very broad and brief geology book with essentially nothing about any specific mineral.
on March 7, 2017
My nephew took one look at my rock, mineral and gem collection and got hooked. This book is the perfect start up literature for the young, beginning collector of the earth's most generous resources. Well written and easy for anyone to understand and learn from.
on July 1, 2017
Very disappointed in this book. Only has one page identifying gems from rocks. The way it was described I was expecting a book that helped identify rocks and gems for a young collector. Not that at all!
on April 24, 2017
Great illustrations capture child's interest in rocks and minerals
on April 26, 2017
Great reference for little rock fanatics! My daughter is very interested in rocks and minerals and she loves this book.
on February 26, 2013
This is such a good resource for those studying or just interested in rocks and minerals. Gorgeous pictures, easy to understand information, really good information. I enjoy having this as part of our rocks and minerals collection.
on April 7, 2017
Such a fun book for your budding rock and gen enthusiast! My kids love the bright pictures and learning about the different rocks/minerals we collect on our nature walks.