Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on May 20, 2012
Great Book...but not for someone straight out of the school of, "I can't draw a straight line." FYI, neither can many people who draw, and often it isn't necessary.....you will learn this here, and it will help you grow greatly over time. It is a fun place to "refresh" rusty skills and remind ourselves why drawing is so very good for us and so much fun. Drawing becomes a meditation practice that you share with the world...even if you only draw in a personal journal. I want to make clear that this IS a book that you want on your shelf. There are so many drawing books out there, that selecting one is like trying to find a cookbook that isn't written in a foreign language, when you're overseas. Many "How to's," on the market can be confusing, often boring,or poor choices, not really written for beginners. This is NOT one of them. This is a "Keeper." You'll need a bit of guidance first for which I would suggest either of these two. "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain," by Betty Edwards or Claudia Nice's latest, "How to See, How to Draw." The great thing about this is that it's available on Kindle Fire and I love what it brings to the table. It eases you in.....then you are ready for this one. I started with the 1st edition of Edward's and learned quickly, but I also had a teacher using it. Claudia's is very beginner friendly. I would have given this book 5 stars except that it drops a rank beginner in too quickly and without a bit more prep you may not appreciate it as much. IF However, you have played a bit with a pencil on your own...Jump in right here. You may still want to get the other two, but this will be a good beginning. It will help you to refine a bit at stage one. There will be other pencil artists that have their own personal favorites for beginners. But I'm going to add this one to my list. Latter on, after you've tasted this book, take a peak at Phil Metzger's "Pencil Magic," or Ferdinad Petrie's, "Drawing Landscapes in Pencil." Enjoy it all with gusto. Marvel at the magic in you.
41 helpful votes
42 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on August 7, 2013
I bought this book, among many others, when I decided I wanted to learn to draw. This is by far my favorite. Fuller makes the examples on shading and perspective so simple. He presents the information very well, and increases the difficulty in each picture gradually. One of my biggest problems with most drawing or art books is how they break a picture down into steps and you are always left wondering how one led to the other. This one is very concise and you can clearly see how the picture evolved, building your confidence to practice. My favorite parts of the book include how he teaches you to see and encourages you to really look at simple objects around the home, such as electric cords. We have an idea of what they look like, but our mental image is just not good enough to draw from. He also includes great instructions on mixed media, including water color, colored pencil, and watercolor pencil. This is really a great book that will build your confidence.
16 helpful votes
17 helpful votes
on November 25, 2011
This is a fun book to draw from. I like to use this book when I want to do some practice with drawing objects and working with my inking or line weight. It has some very good ideas to get you to step outside and draw items you see outside your door. I mainly draw people, so this book helps me from getting bored and gives me different ideas to keep my skills up. If you don't use them you will lose them. This is diffidently a book to check out. William Sharp
14 helpful votes
15 helpful votes
on August 24, 2015
This is a good book to get started. There are several techniques with illustrations and instructions given. After practicing I feel ready to take a beginners class on drawing which I will start soon.
1 helpful vote
on July 8, 2014
I liked the casual conversational style of teaching. The illustrations are superb. There are many exercises,simple and difficult. Overall I think this is a good book for learning basics of sketching and drawing.
on December 11, 2014
So far this is the best book for beginners that I have seen. I hope it will help my grand daughter with her interest in drawing!
on November 2, 2011
This is a nice book for beginners like myself. The exercises are clear although the quality of the images on the Kindle edition is very bad.

I like the drawing and the teaching style; but as whit most art books this may not be for everyone.
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
on February 18, 2015
Great book for people who are just starting to sketch. Love it.
on January 22, 2017
I bought it just to relax. I don't want to learn to draw.
1 helpful vote
on August 23, 2013
I am a budding artist so I am always looking for art books that look easy to understand and easy to learn from. This book is both.