Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 18 reviews
on April 4, 2016
Not only do I love Lynda Barry's ability to perfectly express what it felt like to be a child, this book was personally very moving for me. The narrator's feelings about music, singing, and her observations of the world around her spoke directly to me.
I believe this book should be a part of English curriculum in junior high schools.
on April 10, 2016
I love Lynda Barry and this book was as awesome as everything else I've ever read of hers. Loved it.
on May 23, 2008
It won't take you long to finish this book of vignettes that weave together into a complete story. Yet, it is a book of incredible wisdom and courage, seen through the eyes of a young girl who lives in a neighborhood that is settling in after "white flight." Through the narrator's perspective, Lynda Barry palpably demonstrates the impact of racial integration and tension via the friendship between a young white girl and young black girl. Is such a friendship possible, when you have a "no Negroes allowed inside" rule at your house? Or when you visit the projects with your friend, and a boy calls her "Unca Tom" merely for being with a white girl? And what happens when girls grow up and graduate out of grade school?

Lynda Barry has the voice of the young girl down perfectly, expressing the things that young girls think and worry about, including the angst and dreams of fitting in and belonging. Bittersweet and compelling, I highly recommend this simple coming-of-age tale.
on October 13, 2009
When I finished this book, I had to stop and think for a long time. It was a simple story from a kid's point of view, encompassing very difficult subjects: Poverty, abuse, and the biggie... race. When I was a kid in the sixties, it seemed like all the rules changed. The trouble was, no one had made up new rules yet, so everyone fought and posed and tried hard to survive adolescence, which is typical, only there was a feel of craziness in the air. This book caught it all, with honesty, humor, and unimaginable sorrow. It was a story that only Edna could tell, and Barry got it just right.
on April 18, 2016
I love Lynda Barry. She has such a delightful way of telling what seems to be kind of a simple story, but with universal appeal.
on March 21, 2006
I teach a course on teaching music for children (at the college level). I use this book to get students thinking about the deep ways that music impacts our lives. Situations from family to school music, private to public, and informal to formal are all present, and Barry's wonderful attention to detail brings each to life in a way that make my students talkative.

Of course, I wouldn't use it if it weren't a wonderful novel as well. It is. The story that is told is gripping, and my students love reading it.
on January 23, 2016
Favorite Lynda Barry book. Coming of age story captures race issues from pre teen late 60's/70's perspective.
on May 13, 2015
As with the other Lynda Barry GN's I wish she would let her filipino side bleed into her books more. Either way, nice book...good moral.
on August 20, 2015
Lynda Barry never disappoints
on September 4, 2011
I GOT THIS BOOK FOR MY DAUGHTER WHO WAS TO TRY OUT FOR THE LOCAL PLAY. SHE DID NOT TRY OUT BUT HAS BEEN UNABLE TO PUT THIS BOOK DOWN SINCE I GOT IT. IT REALLY IS AN EYE OPENER TO HOW RACIAL INEQUALITY AND PREJUDICE WAS SO ALIVE IN THE 1960'S GREAT BOOK