Industrial Deals Magazine Deals Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on September 29, 2013
Really good question, and the book actually answers it effectively as well as providing simple, non-drug remedies for a wide range of health issues that ultimately contribute to clinical depression.

You're depressed. Or maybe that word hasn't crossed your mind, but you feel kinda crappy all the time. And you're sick of being talked at about "thinking positive" every time you try to reach out for support, because what you're experiencing is not the same as having a bad day.... every day.....for over a year. It may not even occur to you that you have a very real medical condition.

The author made a clever and practical decision to make the first chapter of the book a brief list of 7 things you can do immediately to feel un-depressed enough to actually want to read the following 120 pages. It sounds silly, but it actually does work. As much instant gratification as can possibly be provided in 4 pages is more than enough motivation to want to make the effort to help yourself, no matter how bleak your situation looks.

I don't have a scientific background so I can't speak very far on the straight medical/chemistry content of this book, but it seems solid and well researched. The author combines orthodox medicine with naturopathic medicine and "home remedies" to generate a self-treatment plan that meshes the best of all worlds into a routine that can treat even severe clinical depression without the use of pharmaceutical drugs. The program revolves around dedicated self-care combined with an anti-inflammatory diet and the use of OTC supplements such as Vitamin D and 5-HTP to replace the chemicals that your body isn't making on its own. The author explains each of the potential causes of clinical depression in depth. Each possible cause has a full chapter dedicated to it and an extensive list of treatment options that can easily be managed at home without an expensive psychiatrist that your insurance probably doesn't cover. Additionally, he addresses overall mental and emotional health alongside physical health, to "attack" the problem from all sides. He also touches upon the importance of spiritual practice, but not in any way as to be dogmatic or un-scientific.

If you know you have Depression, or if you've ever seriously wondered "how come they're happy and I'm not," I strongly recommend purchasing this book. If there is one self help book you read in your life, make it this one.
on March 16, 2018
Really enjoying so far.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 1, 2013
I am a psychotherapist, and I have used this book with my clients. I learned some wonderful info from reading this book. I have begun referring to an ND in my area with wonderful results.
on August 27, 2015
In a world where doctors ignore evidence that life style (diet, exercise, etc...) has a huge effect on our health it is fantastic to hear the voice of reason from somebody who reviewed the existing proof.... It is becoming difficult to ignore all the date out there that much of what ails us can be managed holistically....
This book was fascinating and informative. Dr.Bongiorno makes it so easy to understand the content. I never knew that so many factors contribute to depression. For example, inflammation in the body is related to depression. I was so relieved to learn that there are many natural alternatives to help treat depression. Medication is not our only option! This book offers several different treatment plans. I could not put this book down. I felt like I had a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Bongiorno. As soon as I completed the book, I immediately began his regimen. It has been only one month... and I am feeling so much better already. I highly recommend Dr.Bongiorno's book to anyone suffering from depression/anxiety. I am looking forward to reading his next book:).
on November 30, 2014
real good book
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 27, 2015
This book enlightened me to the many "non cognitive" factors that lead to depression and the ways you can control them in order to make your brain chemistry happier and not depressed. Many schools of psychology cite such causes of depression as life experiences and habitual thought patterns but this book takes a different angle, nutrition and vitamin/nutrient supplementation.

Theres probably 50 recommendations in the book, most of which I can't remember. But I applied the big two which are emphasized as the most important and they've helped me a great deal. That is supplementing the right amount of vitamin d3 and exercising regularly. Most Americans are greatly deficient in these two areas and this leads to depression for many of them. D3 is a precursor to serotonin (the happy chemical) and so those people without enough D in their diet don't make enough serotonin.

I have to recommend this book as a 100% necessity to anyone looking to cure their own case of depression. Definitely get this book along with any other cognitive behavioral therapy book you've been looking at!
on June 6, 2016
This book has great suggestions to supplement things you may already be trying to combat depression. It is written in a non-judgmental way and is easy to understand. I recommended it to my primary care doctor so she could read it for her patients who struggle with depression.
on January 8, 2013
This is an extremely interesting read and a book that I would recommend keeping in the house. The book does a great job in taking on the role of a road-map and stays away from the lecture format which so many other books in this genre fall into. The other element that really strikes me is the authors stance on how conventional and natural can work together. Many times a book swings completely one way or the other. It nice to get a more objective perspective.

Overall, it was a great read and not necessarily one you have to read from front to back. It makes the book far less intimidating. There is a comprehensive table of contents in the front that allows you to choose your topic of the day.
on December 29, 2015
Dr. Bongiorno did a superb job at writing this comprehensive guide to addressing depression from a naturopathic standpoint. One great thing about the book is that it is written with consideration that the reader may be depressed. Part one of the book focuses on getting people to a point where they can feel good enough to read the rest of the book. Reading this book is like visiting a naturopath. It covers many modalities and treatments for depression outside of the usual medication route.