Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 6, 2016
This book is a parenting game-changer. Certainly not every parenting method will work with every child or temperament. I can say, though, that I was a very strong willed child myself, and if my parents had used these methods, our house would have been much more peaceful, relationships improved, and I probably wouldn't have made some of the poor choices as an older teen that I did. I have personally seen these principles used with great success in children of friends and family members. I personally haven't had a chance to use this with my son, as he is still a baby, but I'm trying to be prepared!

I feel like many of the negative reviews didn't thoroughly read the parts they are concerned with, or misconstrued the examples. The authors lay out general parenting principles, and then offer examples of how to implement these principles. These are EXAMPLES, people! You can certainly implement them in different manners than the authors suggest, based on your own child and what you feel is right as a parent. The authors state that the parent should only offer two choices that the parent is comfortable with. If you aren't comfortable with a certain choice (such as giving away a pet), then don't make that one of the choices you are offering, duh! The pet example seems to have many people up-in-arms, yet in this example, the parent did NOT permanently give away the pet as people state, they temporarily gave the dog to a family friend, telling the child they had 3 days to decide if the pet could come back home. Also, they did not starve the pet as everyone seems to think, they did let the child know they were abusing the pet by not feeding it. It certainly doesn't say the parent didn't or shouldn't feed the pet (without telling the child). No one is that heartless, and it doesn't serve a purpose. Also, the authors frequently list out precautions with their advice, since some individuals may misuse these techniques (as can happen with any parenting technique). They also have a section where they discuss how certain principles have been misconstructed, misprepresented and taken out of context. I feel like those who were concerned simply didn't read those additional words of wisdom. An example is that the authors discuss how the "uh oh" song is for when a child is misbehaving for the sake of misbehaving -- NOT because of a NEED. They emphasize that a need (vs a want) must be met, and I think some parents were too quick to use the "uh oh" song rather than meeting a need of the child. Also, I saw not even the slightest hint of any "attachment theory" in this book -- I hadn't even heard of this until I read some of the reviews. Now that I know what they were referring to, I can tell you there is none of this in the book.

Another amazing book that I highly recommend is "Loving Our Kids on Purpose" by Danny Silk. It is quite compatible with the Love and Logic principles, but emphasizes the importance of building a relationship with our children.
74 helpful votes
75 helpful votes
on September 9, 2016
Great Book for you and your children. Implementing the principles of this book has made me feel like I have more self control over my immediate emotions when my children act out. Read it with your spouse so you are on the same page.
4 helpful votes
on October 26, 2017
This was recommended by our daughters endocrinologist. She’s diabetic and going through the rebellion phase of her healthcare. It affects so many aspects of her life, this book is very helpful for navigating trying times.
on March 23, 2013
I love the advice in this book. I checked it out from the library on two different occasions and read it, but since the parenting methods suggested here don't come naturally to me, I felt like I needed my own copy so that I could read through it whenever I needed a refresher. The basic premise is: gain the control you need by giving up the rest. The first half of the book explains how to do this in general and the second half gives examples of how to deal with several different common parenting situations. It works great for both of my little boys- almost five and almost three. When I go about parenting the way this book suggests, they are much better behaved, and even when they don't behave well, I feel like I know what to do.
on March 12, 2017
This book was recommended by my child s pediatrician at infancy. I've found it extremely helpful and will soon be reading the 'teen' book.
11 comment|Report abuse
on December 6, 2016
This author came to a friends church and gave a conference there. They have been using the advice in raising their 3 year old son, and I am very impressed.
on August 2, 2017
Very good book on parenting and how to do it in a way that is helpful to bringing up healthy children!
on October 12, 2017
Definitely some bits in here I didn't like and that weren't for me but overall good book with good advice.
on May 5, 2017
Very good book.
on August 7, 2017
Excellent way to discipline a child in a loving respectful way so they learn to process actions and outcomes, positive and negative. They learn make wiser choices based on the desired outcome.