Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on June 2, 2010
This will be a very quick review as I've only had a couple of hours to go over this new study Bible. I have been a Protestant of the Southern Baptist persuasion my entire life, but I am open to a possible change to Catholicism.

I got the paperback version and I am very happy with the quality. It is a substantial book that almost has a textbook like feel to it.

They use the Revised Standard Version Second Catholic Edition (RSV-SCE) for the text. Interestingly, it reads very much like the Protestant English Standard Version (ESV). Both are updates of the Revised Standard Version (RSV). Both removed archaic pronoun references to God, e.g. thee, thy, thou, etc. Both have "corrected" several verses where the original RSV was perceived to have favored a more liberal translation philosophy. The RSV-SCE text is definitely better than the New American Bible so it was a good choice for this study Bible.

I was pleasantly surprised by the volume, range, and thoroughness of the notes and articles. There is a substantial amount of information here. I am most interested in the Index of Doctrines in the appendix. For any given doctrine, they provide Biblical references and commentary regarding that doctrine. That alone should make this a must read for Protestants. They generally don't know what they are "protesting" so here's a good way to find out. But, I warn them that they could discover they don't have anything to protest.

The text size is another bonus for this Bible. Most Bibles say they are printing readable text at 7 and 8 points--I don't think so. I am young, and I have good eyesight. Seven point text is small no matter your age. This Bible uses at least 10pt text, but it's probably more like 12pt. The text has the same appearance you would expect in any other book rather than the micro-type in most Bibles.

While not quite as extensive as the ESV Study Bible, it is very thorough. And for those interested in Catholic doctrine, it is a must-read.

Like I said, this is a quick review. So I'll just end by saying that I highly recommend the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament.
2424 comments| 795 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 6, 2017
This is an incredible resource for all Catholics, both those just beginning to dive more into the scriptures and for those more advanced. The verse-level commentary/notes are insightful, concise and seem to be continuity with the Magisterium. Also, it must be mentionned that the RSV 2nd Catholic Edition is the best translation for English scholarship - it is the most in line with the original texts (Greek for the NT). It is amazing that the price is so low for what you are getting. The "Index of Doctrines" at the back of the bible are extremely helpful when you want to study specific doctrines. The only disadvantage is that it is only half the bible, so it acts more as a supplemental study bible.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 18, 2017
I was taking a video series and wanted to have the material to advance my knowledge and experience, thank you for having this available.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 3, 2012
I'm aware that many people have already weighed in on this masterpiece, but I wanted to add my two cents to the discussion. And, let me just start by saying that this is not the Gideons' "Little Red Bible," not that I have anything against the Gideons. They do great work, and I applaud them for it.

This New Testament was ten years in the making and was first published as thirteen volumes. It is the Revised Standard Version (RSV), which is a more literal translation than the New American Bible (NAB), the one you hear in the readings at Mass. Don't get me wrong, I like the wording in the NAB, and it is great for liturgical use, but if you are going to study the Bible, you need a more literal translation, and that's where the RSV delivers.

The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible is chock full of information. Within these 700+ pages, you will find that the pages are divided in a way that one-half of the page is Scripture, and the other half is footnotes explaining the above Scripture. There are also study aids including maps, word studies (like expiation), doctrine explanation (like Faith and Works), important indices, and a concise concordance.

This truly is the perfect starter study Bible and one that you will grow with as well as one that you will use for years to come. The only complaint I have about this Bible is that they cut the study questions that you could find in the individual volumes originally published. Luckily for, Ignatius Press was kind enough to provide these on their website.

On a scale of one to five, this Bible is five stars all the way. I can't wait for them to finish this Old Testament. Unfortunately, I fear we might be waiting at least another ten years for that, as they have only completed Genesis and Exodus so far. When it is complete though, I have no doubt it will be worth the wait and worth every penny.
on July 14, 2014
This is the best way to read the Bible! The commentaries are well written and explain things in depth, but in a simple way you can understand. There are even explanations of things from the teachings of the early Church Fathers and the Catechism. It also contains "Word Study" to explain certain words or phrases and the root of their meaning and their origin. The Study Guide part of the Bible is below the verses you are reading. You do not have to always be looking things up; they are foot notes, but so much more teaching and explaining than a regular Bible's footnotes. A great Bible for anyone wanting to really grow spiritually through reading God's Word
on January 30, 2017
really helps decipher some of the New Testament jargon and is great for discussing bible verses among my Protestant friends. Only wish there was a comparable text for the Old Testament.
on December 11, 2015
I love this bible! Its clear, informative, practical, useful and a guide to prayer. The helpful notes and explanations make scripture more accessible for the novice as well as providing useful tools for exegesis and homilies.
on September 9, 2011
This book has been an eye-opener for me in interpreting the various Biblical verses meaningfully and spiritually. It has tried to merge both Old and New Testaments and readers can get to know which verses of Old Covenant corresponds to those in the new and especially with the Gospels.

I like the Introduction of each book of the Bible (NT) with dates, author, subjects and themes. This is really good & also contains some vital information which many people will come to know for the first time. This Book maybe slightly tough to understand for beginners or for people who have not gone through the full Bible fully at least once.

This book uses the Catholic RSV revised in 2002 in accordance with the Vatican.

One another important highlight is to attempt various verses and instances by giving notes from CCC (Catechism of Catholic Church) which I believe shows this book's unity with Holy Mother Church. The explanations from various Church fathers like Augustine, Aquinas, Jerome, Gregory and various saints whose books and commentaries I doubt are not easily available has been used to explain the verses. All in all it is a substantial food for any Catholic Soul.

But my only complain is with the relative small size of fonts for explaining the verses to the point where sometimes your eyes do get strained (atleast mine are!)

My only appeal to authors and publishers is to increase the font size of the Notes and Commentaries.

Regards,
Sabu Augustine
INDIA.
on July 18, 2017
Hahn brings the Bible to life. Gone are the archaic interpretations, here are the profoundly insightful meanings of the true Word. Take your time, read deeply, and you will be graced.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 2, 2014
I really enjoy this Study Bible. Lots of historical and sociological information in the commentaries as well as insight into the meaning. The pages are nice and "thick" which makes note marking well. The font size and paper color is so easy on the eyes. The layout which includes an occasional side bar is great. The footnotes for the verses are on the same pages as the verses so they are right there. And you can't beat the price for all of the above!