Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Josh Ritter PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 88 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 109 reviews
on June 8, 2011
The title is wrong. It is more a review guide for CCNA and less a command guide. The book has no index of commands so if you are looking for a command that you don't recognize, you must know what process is associated with the command first to have any hope of finding it quickly in this book. It is organized in a "how to" fashion as opposed to a command dictionary as the title would imply to me. It has been of little use and a waist of money unless you are just starting your first class of Cisco and need a study guide. Then it might be useful.
on June 14, 2017
If you are studying for the CCENT or CCNA you should purchase this book as a reference. It will save you hours of research.
on December 13, 2012
I bought this book the second semester into the CCNA program at my local community college at the recommendation of the instructor. I have used this book non-stop in my CCNA classes and even was allowed to use it for our skills based final exam in the final class of the CCNA series. Very well laid out, and even shows optional commands that you don't use in the Cisco Net Academy but you may run into in the 'Real World'. Keep in mind this is for the Cisco propitiatory IOS which runs on Cisco Routers and Switches. My only gripe about this book is the lack on an index. It does have a good Table of Contents, but you still need to hunt down what you are looking for (more time consuming when you are not really sure what category it is under). I suppose the eBook version would have an advantage here as a simple find would make things easier to well...find.
on March 4, 2013
I purchased this for a desk-top quick reference as a network administrator.

This is a great companion for anybody that has to work on Cisco equipment. It covers quite a bit of material.

The reason I gave only 3 stars were because there is no digital copy available with the purchase of the hard cover. I would love to have this thing on my IPAD. Considering the fact that everything is going digitial, I honestly thought ciscopress would have given a digital copy with the book. They offer a free 45 day online only version through Safari books but I've already paid for the book. I should be given a PDF copy automatically.
on October 23, 2015
It's just okay. It really needs an extensive, comprehensive alphabetical index in the back to be considered a very good reference handbook/guide.
on June 29, 2011
Overall, this book is very helpful for learning Cisco IOS commands. It is laid out in a very logical manner, using scenario-based instructions to help you learn (or remember) how to configure a myriad of things, from your first login to configuring ACLs and NAT. I'd definitely recommend this text for anyone looking to improve their networking skills, and especially for those looking to pass the CCNA exam.

The only negative point is the lack of a functional index. The index included in the text is short and, like the book itself, is laid out by scenarios: how to configure interfaces, how to set up RIP, etc. It would be nice to have an alphabetized index in order to look up something like "OSPF" or even specific commands like "show running-config," but alas, that's not the case with this book. However, for the price, it is definitely a handy guide to have around.
on July 6, 2009
I am a CCNA instructor and I own a previous edition of this book in soft cover; it is excellent and my students find that it helps them mentally organize the CLI. I downloaded the Kindle DX version of the newest edition and it nicely summarizes the new material in both the CCNA Exploration and Discovery curricula. The only reason I did not give it a five-star rating is that the images that contain tables and text in the Kindle version are not crisp. They appear in gray scale and look like a scanned version of a color page. The CCNA texts books use lots of green-gray in their images and many don't show well in the Kindle version. I even tried landscape and zoom but some of the image text is still not legible, otherwise, it beats lugging 30 pounds of text books to class every day! Both my students and I are waiting for the Kindle DX version of the CCNA textbooks.
on December 19, 2016
Outstanding. The condition of the book was like new and the inflammation contained within is just what every Cisco network technician should have on their desk. Well worth the money.
on April 18, 2017
I love the book
on April 14, 2016
I simply find this book amazing, short and concise summary of the official CCNA guide. You get to see all the commands at a quick glance and thus helps you revise much quickly. Truly a "Portable Command Guide"