Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Complication: A Novel
Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$11.57+ Free shipping

on April 15, 2012
I've been a big fan of Adamson's BIlly Chaka books and my high hopes for this new novel were not disappointed.

It's a departure from the neon-flooded Tokyo of his earlier novels, to the deep, dark and twisted back-alleys of Prague. And our hero, Lee Holloway, is far less in control that Billy Chaka ever was. The novel follows his descent through a nightmarish sequence of mysterious events that are described with Adamson's typical flourish for fast, dark action. A rich and supple historical background adds to the atmosphere of the story, and there is a jarring twist that makes the reader question many of the previous conclusions about the main character. Like many good books, it leaves the reader wanting more.
11 people found this helpful
on May 1, 2012
Let me state right off the bat that you may consider this review biased. The author is a friend of mine, and in fact, we made a trailer for the book which you can see by clicking on Isaac's name up at the top and going to his "author's page," (low-res Flash video that won't work on your iPad or iPhone), or by going to Isaac's website (his first and last name dot com) where you'll find the trailer in high def.

But that doesn't change the fact that the book is still fantastic. It's got a great and strange sense of humor that doesn't detract from the thrills it offers. There were times when, after reading certain passages, I found my heart racing and my hands gripping the book ever so tighter, and then laughing out loud a few pages later.

And at the end of it, you'll want to go to Prague. With any luck, you'll have some adventures of your own while there. I wouldn't be surprised to find on my next visit there, people wandering the city with this book in their clutches, hunting down all the places in the story!
One person found this helpful
on April 16, 2012
As a former Tokyo ex-pat, I too was a huge fan of the Chaka novel series from the beginning. When Isaac mentioned he was working on a novel about Prague a few years ago, I knew it would be worth the wait, and indeed it was -- a different type of protagonist for a different type of city, but the new pairing synchs like clockwork (apologies). A great travelogue for the city of Prague by itself, the unique characters and mystery plot overlaid on this well-textured backdrop make COMPLICATION a must-read for any thriller aficionado.
5 people found this helpful
on June 11, 2013
Woah! I knew it would be different and it feels like Adamson has discovered an entirely new voice for his newest work. I suggested it to my book club (who are adventurous readers) and I'm glad we read it together- long after the meeting ended, we are still discussing it. The ins-outs-ups-downs-twists keep us talking about it. And while I've always loved Adamson's books, this is one I will be thinking about for a long time. It is the new standard- the one I will compare other books to. Well-done! Keep writing! Where's the next book?????
on November 8, 2012
Having devoured all of Isaac Adamson's Billy Chaka novels, all set in Japan, I was worried that Complication, set in Czeckoslovakia, would not measure up. I was pleasantly surprised. Complication is an exciting thriller, fast-paced for the most part,and full of surprises. It has a number of intertwining themes, and plenty to think about, with a surprise ending. Let me say that if you liked The Orchid Thief, you will like this book.
on May 27, 2015
very original read
on June 16, 2016
Great read. I love Isaac Adamson's books.
on January 10, 2014
You'll never see the ending coming. Wow!
Great story. It is so complicated. You have to at least appreciate the work and time that went into weaving such a story so perfectly.
|11 comment|Report abuse
on February 16, 2014
I bought this book based on all the rave reviews. It was so disjointed - back and forth in time and geography with different characters that it was almost impossible to follow. I suppose the intent was to be artistic, but it certainly wasn't entertaining. The rating has shaken my faith in ratings. Hard to put down? More like hard to pick up.
One person found this helpful
on July 1, 2014
Really enjoyed this offbeat story. Great setting. Just go with it.