Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 613 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 934 reviews
on May 31, 2015
Another example of pleasurable reading from Jon Ronson. This time we follow him as he tags along with people with a variety of extremist views. Ronson visits and follows around leaders of the KKK, Muslim fundamentalists, a Jewish Hollywood film producer making a movie about Aryan Nations followers, the Weaver family of Ruby Ridge fame, Ian Paisley and others and trying to discover the truth about secretive gatherings of the wealthy and influential in the Bilderberg and Bohemian Grove gatherings.

A quick and enjoyable read with humor and humanity to take a peak at people we often dismiss as 'them.' A good introduction to the concept of code words and radical groups trying to assimilate in broader cultural and civic debate. A good investigative reply the conspiracy claim that a secret group is meeting somewhere to run the world.The book lacks an epilogue or much sense of a wrapping up or summation. The reader is left for himself to see what is learned from Ronson's experiences.
on May 8, 2015
Sigh, I stumbled upon this book in one of those suggested books on my Amazon feed. Ironically, one of the extremist he talked with is in the news here in Texas, Alex Jones. Most of these guys are very much what used to be called "lunatic fringe" but because so many people take them seriously now, we have to at least know about them. The most amazing characteristic I discovered from the book is the incredible level of ineptitude they are seem to display. Also, the degree to which they seem to be sincere and believe the propaganda they are spouting. It is a quick read but I am still a bit skeptical about some of his conclusions and some of his findings. My general take on these conspiracy theorist is that no one is quite that organized and if they have that much power, why in the world take over the world? They rule it from the shadows in private or that is what the men Jon Ronson interviewed believe.
on June 4, 2011
I became a Jon Ronson fan with The Men Who Stare at Goats, more so when he wrote The Psychopath Test, and with THEM --a loyal fan dying for the next book he writes. THEM takes us on a journey through the outskirts of our society where the separatists, militias, and Ku Klux Klan members exist and thrive. He introduces us to sides of noteworthy people we only hear about, and sets out on a mission to find the secret Bilderberg Group who secretly controls everything in the world.

The book is jam packed with facts and stories that will inform you, make you wonder, and will make you laugh hard enough to choke. Ronson's delivery is remarkably the-guy-next-door and he speaks with you as to take you into his confidence where he reveals his real thoughts, hilarious as they are. This book is a good and very fast read, and one you will feel a bit of sadness for as it ends; readers want the entertainment to continue! This is the sort of man you could sit and speak with for hours and never find a boring moment if his books are any indication. Buy this book! (And read it!)

Jon Ronson's Amazon page is amazon.com/Jon-Ronson/e/B001H6KH4U/ref=sr_tc_img_2?qid=1307218796&sr=1-2-ent
on June 10, 2017
An enthralling journey to the edges of human sanity. Jon Ronson is very much a character in his own story, and the tale of how his conception of the book he's writing changes over time is just as fascinating as the stories of the men and women he studies. As a fiction writer, I found this book extremely helpful in understanding the different ways that characters can be (or seem) deranged. Ronson also raises a lot of interesting food for thought about how we draw the lines between madness and sanity, between "disordered" and "normal" -- and how blurry those lines can get.
on May 29, 2015
I have generally been a consummate fiction reader, so was a bit hesitant about this book purchase. However, after watching Mr. Ronson banter with Jon Stewart on The Daily Show, I was convinced to give one of his books a try. Working in the medical field, I had an interest in this particular book. This is no dull text, but a humorous, intriguing story with a mystery to solve, complicated by a quirky riddle. There were quite a number of moments in which I held my breath, waiting for Mr. Ronson to be skewered by an interviewee. Occasionally, the tale would wander into an unbelievable territory, and I had to remind myself that these were all true events! No great mystery was solved, unfortunately, as I believe the human mind is not a tangible thing able to be quantified, but I truly enjoyed the ride. I learned plenty, I questioned some of my own notions, as well as my sanity, and felt relaxed to let Mr. Ronson drive the story whichever way he liked. I may have to read it a few more times.
on August 6, 2015
I'm quickly becoming a fan of Jon Ronson. This book was informative and humorous and left me with a desire to know a bit more about some of the topics he touched on in the book, which sent me down the wikipedia rabbit hole for a few days after reading it. It gets 4 stars because of that--there were a couple things that I thought Ronson could have addressed a bit more thoroughly, especially since he kept coming back to them time and again throughout the book. But overall it's an informative and entertaining read.
on May 6, 2015
Jon Ronson is a talented writer and a gifted storyteller. He has done some worthwhile reporting, enough for a really interesting magazine article. Then he pads it with unused material from old notebooks, chirpy (not witty, just chirpy) observations about the subject, types until his manuscript is about 200 pages long, and calls it a book. It's not a book. It's a hotdog. A lot of filler, barely any meat.
on June 15, 2015
I just finished watching 'Nightcrawler', a film with the anti-hero psychopath as a rising star in the news industry. Ronson's book seemed to echo the real life symbiotic relationship between psychopaths and the rest of us. We need personalities who can do what it takes to get th he job done, whether it be provide gory news footage or lay-off entire towns so companies can see their stocks rise and still sleep at night.

I really liked Ronson's journey between viewing psychopaths, or any mental disorder, as being a black and white diagnosis to a conclusion that we are all on a spectrum. He explores the media's exploitation of dysfunctional personality traits for our benefit. Editing out what detracts from the black and white depiction of the story line.

It is a meandering story, but this lends to the humanity of the subject. I was able to finish the book in about 2 hours.
on May 21, 2017
Throughout the entirety of this book you get to see Jon go through different phases of belief. He was extremely honest in admitting his thoughts and also admitting when those thought might have changed. This was not just a book to persuade you of someone's opinion, but rather, it was an objective account of someone seeking their own answers to be persuaded one way or another. In the end we find that almost everyone admits that the madness industry is not as concrete as they would want to believe it is. We love to label, and classify. We see it every day. But none of us really think about the grey areas. I would recommend this book as a tool to anyone with an interest in understanding both arguments of the "sane" and "insane". This book alone would not be sufficient evidence to persuade you one way of another, (both sides are equally covered) but it's a fantastic supplement to generate thought.
on May 9, 2016
The reason why I picked this rating is for some of the transitions between the a memory and the presents event. However, the connections made between the events at the beginning, meddle and the ends are great. Also, the title could be a bit misleading. One of the main reasons why I picked this book is to find out more about psychopaths but came to find out that the book stray of that topic and presents short stories about different illnesses. I can't say I did not enjoy reading it because it had me flipping pages like a madman. It's a very informative book and touches bases on different illnesses.

I would recommend this book to fictional authors and whoever interested in psychological theme books.

The reason why I picked this book is to give me an idea of what is a psychopath to help me character building for my novel.