Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 120 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 165 reviews
on June 6, 2017
Incredible book. I live in the Sierra Nevada and hike in the back country often. This book is a wealth of information on trees, wildflowers, ferns, fungi, lichens, fish, reptiles, amphibians, birds, mammals, and insects illustrated beautifully. I can't recommend this book enough for avid hikers or those just wanting to learn about the plants, insects and animals living in the Sierras.
on August 25, 2010
This is a great field guide for the Sierra Nevada.
It's quite comprehensive, including wildflowers, trees, mushrooms, insect, butterflies, birds, fish, amphibians, mammals, and even charts of the evening sky. As a general guide, it doesn't go in depth in some areas, but that's the price you pay for having everything in a single book. The wildflower section is particularly good (taking more than 1/3 of the book) and so it's the insect section (I never paid attention to bugs before buying this guide). The guide is based on gorgeous color drawings (rather than photographs), which allows the author to emphasize the characteristics of the subject.
The guide is nicely printed on water resistant paper, but as a result is quite heavy. If you are a minimalist backpacker or hiker, I don't think you want to bring it to the field.
All and all, this is the best general field guide I've found for the Sierra Nevada.
on July 12, 2016
This is a simply amazing field guide, by the aptly named John Muir Laws. The illustrations are gorgeous and clear, the organization makes it easy to find the right sections (pink wildflowers, yellow birds, etc), and the short notes in the text are just enough to get one thinking and inspire further research. I *love* that the author included all sorts of plant and animal categories. Like many, I wanted to identify trees, flowers, and birds. But while using the book, I couldn't help noticing the enormous variety of insects, shrubs, spiders, fungi, fish, and more. I'd never thought to identify an insect. And then I wondered why I hadn't. The book encourages appreciation of nature's vast array of life, not just the "cute" ones.
on December 26, 2007
A ton of useful information on a range of subjects (plants, animals, mushrooms, insects, weather, tracks, scat, star charts, etc.). Beautifully illustrated and easy to navigate. The text snippets have a very personal, conversational, at times even humorous tone, which make it a pleasure to consult. At 17.5oz (496g), it's a little too heavy in my opinion for backpacking, but a good companion for all other occasions. The knowledge, thought and passion that went into this publication really burst off the pages.
on April 26, 2017
This book goes wherever we go. My family loves it. My two boys and I enjoy the fact that we can look up anything we want when we are out adventuring. One summer we were able to identify every wildflower we encountered on a trip to Shaver Lake CA. That was a lot of fun. It's very easy to use and not intimidating at all.
on October 1, 2015
Having a blast identifying every creature, plant, shrub, flower, etc. that I see. Probably also annoying the heck out of my husband. Just kidding, I think it's pretty cool to be able to look up and read about anything you come across:)
on March 6, 2017
My order looked like it had been tossed around a bit before packaging. Not that it's a huge deal or anything, I just like to wear the book in myself, especially if it's new. The edges were bent/creased on the cover a bit, just looked used more or less. But besides that, I love this book! It has almost everything I've been trying to identify! Definitely a worthy purchase!
on January 3, 2015
I had been given this book as a gift from a friend. I was so happy with it and I especially enjoy taking it with me to the Sierra mountain area. It does help answer many questions and to identify what I am seeing.
Last year my adult daughter and I were staying in the Wright's Lake area and she mentioned how much she would like the Laws Field Guide to the Sierra Nevada and she was going to buy one. I told her to wait and maybe I would buy it for her. It was the perfect stocking stuffer for her this Christmas> She is very happy to have her own book now.
on August 16, 2013
This book is great because it actually has the species that I see in this particular area. Before I got this book, I would always get frustrated trying to look up insects or plants in field guides that are too general and try to cover too much area. I have been able to identify numerous species using this book that I never found in any other book. There is no information about the species except for the picture and maybe one key identification or behavioral fact, which enables this compact book to have so many creatures and plants in it. This pictures in this book are nice enough to just look at for the beauty, even when you aren't trying to identify anything specific.
on November 29, 2016
Truly a work of art when form and function unites beautifully. By far the most essential book you need to any trip to the Sierra Nevada, no matter how long the stay. It helps you engage more with the Sierras and therefore increases the quality of your visit. Thank you Mr. Laws for making this.