Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 1, 2015
This really challenges the Christian that believes he is alright with God by just going along and doing his own thing. What does God expect of us?
on July 7, 2014
I agree wholeheartly about the idea about being radical
on October 18, 2012
"The Radical Question & A Radical Idea" by David Platt is a two-in-one book combination. The first book, "The Radical Question" appears to be a summary of some key concepts from his original book "Radical". The second book, "A Radical Idea", appears to follow the same vein and sum up key points from the book "Radical Together".

"The Radical Question" asks readers to consider what Jesus is worth to us. He challenges us to live differently, to pursue a true Christianity instead of simply a Christian spin on the American dream. As he talks about how underground house churches often risk everything, including their very lives, for the chance to gather together and worship Christ, he ponders "I could not help but think that somewhere along the way we in America have lost touch with what is essential, radical--even dangerous--about our faith and replaced it with what is comfortable" (p. 8). Having read the original book, "Radical" about a year and a half ago, I found this section to be a great reminder and summary of the challenges and questions from the original.

"A Radical Idea" addresses the question of "How can we in the church best unleash the people of God in the Spirit of God with the Word of God for the Glory of God in the world?" (p. 63). Platt looks at how the church can stand together, united to live for a radical purpose of living out a more biblical gospel. He questions our American desire to build big buildings and have top-notch programs instead of prioritizing getting the gospel to people who desperately need it and channeling greater amounts of funding toward things with a more far-reaching, eternal impact. He discusses the need to invest more in the people of the church, thereby creating disciples, instead of investing more in programs.

Overall, the message of both books is a great one. He has a great message that the American church desperately needs to hear and ultimately begin to live out on a much greater scale. This little book would be a great one for someone who hasn't yet read either "Radical" or "Radical Together". But it does seem a bit overkill to put out two short little summaries instead of encouraging people to read the longer volumes that are packed with far more substance. Content-wise, the book is fantastic. But for me personally, I'm going to stick with the original books and skip these little summaries.

(I've received this complimentary book from Waterbrook-Multnomah through the Blogging for Books program in exchange for a review. A positive review was not required and the views expressed in my review are strictly my own.)
on November 4, 2012
David Platt has become known as someone proclaiming a radical pursuit of Jesus and his calling. In the new combined edition of the two booklets THE RADICAL QUESTION and THE RADICAL IDEA, Platt outlines two things that he believes are vitally important to Christians and the church.

In THE RADICAL QUESTION, Platt explores the disconnect between American Christianity and the calling to follow Jesus outlined in the pages of the New Testament. This booklet, a condensed version of his book RADICAL, is a call to evaluate the things that are most important to us. For most Christians in America the call seems to be to the American Dream while people around the world are starving and many dying without Christ. Platt asks the question, "Is Jesus worth it to you to sacrifice everything for what he wants?"

In THE RADICAL IDEA, Platt looks at the role of the church in Christian belief. We were never meant to follow Jesus in isolation, and Platt suggests that it isn't solely the role of church leadership to lead people to faith in Christ. Instead, church leaders are called to equip believers to do the work of ministry, spreading the gospel wherever they go.

Platt's teaching is challenging, And certainly radical. It gives you much to wrestle with, and ultimately it is a call to follow Jesus more wholeheartedly.

Review copy provided by Waterbrook Multnomah
VINE VOICEon October 16, 2012
I've had the opportunity to read a review David Platt's previous books: Radical and Radical Together. When I read his thoughts about following Jesus authentically and took a look at our churches in America today compared to what the early church was, I was convicted and inspired.

David Platt has a way of bringing priorities into focus. His easy to read style of writing draws readers along. His personal stories are inspiring and convicting. I think Radical and Radical Together are life changing books.

This mini book- The Radical Question and A Radical Idea, is a pocket sized book that summarizes the main points of Platt's previous books. It would make a perfect gift or a perfect book for churches to hand out to volunteers.

There isn't an overabundance of content here. It is a summary. I think it would be great to inspire church members and to encourage them to seek out and read Platt's books in the whole.

I give this a 5 star rating and a G for content.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher for review purposes. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.
on January 28, 2013
I've just finished reading "The Radical Question and A Radical Idea" by David Platt. It's a great, short read and seems to contain much of the "meat" of the full books he's previously written, "Radical" and "Radical Together". It seems to be a good gift idea (list price $9.99, & kind of a `Cliff Notes' version of both books at 110 small pages total) for someone who would otherwise not read an entire "book", but could really benefit from some of the thoughts/questions Platt raises. I've read "Radical", and found much of it to be a reminder of good points and challenging questions. But I'd not yet gotten to reading "Radical Together", so it was good to hear some of the thoughts presented there.

In "The Radical Question", he asks "What if Jesus is worthy of more in our lives than a Christian spin on the American Dream?" He gives examples of several people who seemed to have "achieved" what the world would look at as "success", or "retirement", or some stage of life where America says it's okay to focus on ourselves. In short story format, he reveals each of them sacrificing what they've achieved to pour their lives out for the sake of others.

I enjoyed his turning Bonhoeffer's statement about the high cost of discipleship into a powerful question - "What does nondiscipleship cost us?" The millions that are dying, and the hopelessness pervading our world, many people not ever hearing about the good news of Jesus Christ. It's a far greater cost than anything material we could give up. I still struggle with his reminder that Jesus calls us to "hate" even our family/spouse/children. Would I really risk their safety in the midst of persuing what I believe to be the will of God in our life? I suppose we're in the midst of that, with this adoption. Taking on the financial costs, risking our lives in traveling to Africa, forever connecting our home with those suffering in the DRC...it's a bit risky.

The second "book" presents the "Radical Idea" that our Kingdom-work should be more people-focused than places, professionals, or places. He gives examples of what can happen when we worry less about creating ministries and then finding the people to fill the roles involved - and instead find the places God has uniquely gifted the people we already have for ministry in their lives. This connects with me both as a pastor AND a parent. That we would be equipping God's people to be actively involved in Spirit-sourced ministry wherever they are. That I would be equipping my daughters for a life sourced in the Spirit of Jesus, and not in fitting into any pre-conceived notion of a "pastors daughter".

Throughout both "books", I did find myself wanting more. He continues to talk about disciples making disciples, which I like. But it seems if you asked him "Why make more disciples?", his answer might be "So THEY can make more disciples too!". The closest he seems to get here is something ambiguous about "making His glory known". In the first half he says, "..lets stop living as if this world is even our home." I think I'd focus more on how this world is being made INTO a redeemed and renewed home for us....and the "why" of making disciples being wrapped up on revealing Jesus as Lord already, etc...

But for that, we'd need a longer book. :)

So if you need a good graduation gift, or "short read" for someone who needs to hear these "radical thoughts" but wouldn't make it through a longer book.....this is definitely a great book to offer.

Disclaimer: I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.
on January 16, 2013
The Radical Question/Idea by David Platt is a great resource for those who want to be challenged in their faith. Although this is "two books in one," most readers will be able to finish both books in under two hours. If you haven't read any of Platt's books, this is a great starting point to introduce yourself to the author.

A Radical Recap

These two short books appear to be highlights from Platt's two larger books, Radical and Radical Together. If you have already read those books, I would not recommend purchasing this book as it is the same information.

However, if you have not read Platt's two books, I could not recommend this book enough. These books will get you thinking, challenge your faith, and influence your perspective on what it means to be a Christian in the 21st century.

Some Radical Quotes

For those who are still unsure about Platt, here are a few of the most challenging quotes in these books.

Instead of a radical devotion to Christ, we so easily settle for nominal devotion to him while we indulge ourselves in other pursuits.

What if we were created not to advance ourselves, but to deny ourselves?

You were created for more than a Christian spin on the American dream.

As long as Christians choose to play games in their churches while they spend their lives fulfilling an American dream, billions in need of the gospel will remain hopelessly in the dark. The cost will be high for the lost if we do not follow Christ radically.

Let's start living as though this world has nothing for us because Christ is truly everything to us.

Where the church is fundamentally a gathering of committed people, the place where the church gathers hardly matters.

Be careful to not let programs in the church keep you from engaging people in the world with the gospel.

Who can fathom the potential of the church when we stop programming ministry for people and start propelling people into ministry?

Do with others what I have done with you, Jesus had said. Don't sit in a classroom; share your lives. Don't build extravagant places; build extraordinary people. Make disciples who make disciples who will make disciples, and together multiply this gospel to all peoples.

You have the Word of God before you, the Spirit of God in you, and the command of God to you: make disciples of all nations.

As you can see, Platt spares no words in challenging Christians to obey the Word of God and not merely know it. If you're faith is in need of a jump start, there are no better resources to begin with than Platt's books.

"I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review."
on December 30, 2012
Much has been said of David Platt over the last few years. Pastors have preached his message from *Radical*, and his follow up book *Radical Together* has generated a bit of a stir in the professional pastor world. As if that wasn't enough for a mild-mannered expositor from Alabama, he recently launched the Multiply Movement which combines the efforts of Francis Chan's *Crazy Love* with Platt's message.

Since both Platt and Chan have received quite a bit of attention I don't care to linger too long on the story of how Platt came to discover the radical idea, and how it has affected his church community (my favorite is when Christian bloggers accuse them of promoting a "works based" faith despite James admonition "Without actions, faith is useless. By itself, it's as good as dead."). Instead, I just want to say a few words about Multnomah's *The Radical Question and A Radical Idea*.

Not a new book of any sense, this "two-books-in-one" item is roughly 100 pages of simple yet challenging stuff. The main themes of both of Platt's larger works have been boiled down into a concise message. "Is Jesus worth your radical devotion?" Platt's question lingers throughout the first 50 pages as he recounts stories that both embarrass and glorify the Christian Church, all the while consulting the Word of God in his analysis of the average American Christian. The second section of the book ponders that mystical concept of "a priesthood of believers." He stakes his claim that all Christians should make disciples, and challenges the professionals (like pastors and church administrators) to equip the average person sitting in the stadium seating (or the pew, you get the idea) to be a part of God's purposes in the places where they work and live and play.

Let me tell you a little about the word radical. It comes from the late 14th century and typically meant "of or having roots," which was derived from the Latin word radix or "root." By the 1650's the meaning had shifted to incorporate the idea of "going to the origin, or essentials." It was not until the 1920s that the meaning of "unconventional" arose, and this eventually transformed into the 1970s surfer slang meaning "at the limits of control." In particular, I like how Noah Webster defined the word: "Pertaining to the root or origin; original; fundamental; as a radical truth or error; a radical evil; a radical difference of opinions or systems."

I think it is in this Websterian sense (and that of the oldest uses of the word) that Platt is using the word. If his ideas are "unconventional" to Christians, it is only because they have bought into the wrong conventions (which is of course the occasion of the work).

Platt's works are a necessary thing right now for American Christianity. While I would typically advocate for reading his longer, more comprehensive works, this little gem is a wonderful introduction. Maybe you're not sure you buy into all this "leaving everything for Jesus" thing? This is a good place to start. Perhaps you think Christianity is archaic and too stuck in the culture? Platt has an answer for that in his tiny tome. In truth, this is an ideal primer for anyone who thinks their faith is lacking, or knows someone who may need that extra push to get off the bench of God's purposes and into the game.

Give it a look, or give it to a friend. It will be money well spent.

=============================================
Multnomah gave me a copy for free, but I promise it didn't taint my viewpoint.
on January 18, 2013
I read David Platt's book, Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream. After that, I read Radical Together: Unleashing the People of God for the Purpose of God. Both books are challenging and inspiring for anyone who is wrestling with the idea of what it really means to be a disciple of Christ.
This latest book, The Radical Question and A Radical Idea is short enough that you can read it practically in one sitting. However, these concepts may take a bit longer to digest. At just 109 pages, this little hardback book packs an intense punch. Platt asks the hard question that most of us struggle to answer-is Jesus enough? The truth is, that for most of us, we have to answer this question again, every day. Some days Jesus is enough, but others, we're deceived to think that He isn't, and so we wrestle our humanity and faith in hopes that for once, we can just get it right. Platt says,
When we see a biblical picture of Jesus, we realize that the greatness of who he is demands the surrender of all we are and have.
And that surrender is where most of us struggle. David Platt proposes a plan. He's talking about uniting together as believers to help spread the message of God, for the glory of God. He reminds us that we are called by Christ to encourage each other on in the mission of spreading the gospel.
This small, but meaty book is somewhat of a recap of the main ideas from the first two books previously mentioned above. If you have read Radical, and Radical Together, then I would not encourage you to buy this book for yourself. However, if you know someone who has not read the other two books, and who is genuinely willing to hear this difficult message of what true discipleship looks like, then I would buy them this book. It is a great (and small) resource for those wanting to hear the message of Radical, boiled down to its main points. You can read chapter one of this book HERE.
I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review. This post contains affiliate links.
on December 19, 2012
Earlier this fall, I got the opportunity to review a David Platt book called The Radical Question, A Radical Idea. Two books in one! Can't get better than that! David Platt is the best-selling author of the book Radical.

What is Jesus worth to you?

Do you believe that Jesus is worth abandoning everything for?"

In Radical, David Platt invites you to encounter what Jesus actually said about being his disciple, and then obey what you have heard. He challenges you to consider with an open heart how we have manipulated a God-centered gospel to fit our human-centered preferences. With passionate storytelling and convicting biblical analysis, Platt calls into question a host of comfortable notions that are common among Christ's followers today. Then he proposes a radical response: live the gospel in ways that are true, filled with promise, and ultimately world changing.
My Take:
This was a very fast reading book, but there is a lot of meat in between those pages!! It is a very convicting book! One I needed to read, and one I think we all need to read. This book shows us that the church isn't built on locations, elaborate shows, professionals, etc...but on its people. Platt relays to us that those people in the seats at the church are the ones that are meant to be active in spreading Gods Word, because when normal, every day people get involved in normal, every day ministry, those communities and the church families will change dramatically and positively. David Platt says, "The goal of the church is never for one person to be equipped and empowered to lead as many people as possible to Christ. The goal is always for all of God's people to be equipped and empowered to lead as many people as possible to Christ."

I really found this book to be convicting. Since going on missions trips the last few years, I had already been convicted....but this was the icing on the cake. Why DO we make multi-million dollar churches in the states when that much money could make hundreds if not thousands of churches in other countries who are in need of Christ. I am a bit torn though...because in our culture fancy is what attracts others. So, if we have a shabby church, how many unbelievers will step foot in it. However, how can we spend so much money on a simple building? It is really tough for me to take in. Platt just really makes us take ownership of our money and how we are spending it. This book also helps us to look at more than just the financial realm of things. How about us? Are we just going to church....because we want to learn...that is GREAT....but is that it? Or are we not only going to church to learn, but also to help teach others...to lead others to church and to God??? That is THE MOST important thing for us to do as followers of Christ. We are commissioned to lead others to Him and spread the Gospel.

I would HIGHLY suggest this book to anyone who is ready to make a change in how they do things within and outside of the church. This is a great book especially for leaders of the church. Check it out at [...]

About the Author:
David Platt is pastor of the Church at Brook Hills in Birmingham, Alabama, and author of the New York Times bestsellers Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream and Radical Together: Unleashing the People of God for the Purpose of God. A well-known Bible expositor, David holds three advanced degrees, including a doctorate from New Orleans Baptist Theology Seminary. He and his wife, Heather, live in Birmingham with their children.