Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 92 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 103 reviews
on February 9, 2014
I have a kid who's gifted & in gifted classes. Understands high level concepts, but can't figure out how to organize his locker or manage to turn in his homework - even though he's completed it. It's been bandied about maybe he has autism or ADD, but those didn't fit. This book describes him to a T. Not having the frontal lobe of his brain maturing at the same rate as his peers is a simple, logical explanation & the ensuing ways to deal are enlightening & helpful. This book was a god-send. It was suggested by his gifted teacher after she spent time with him.
11 comment| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2013
As a clinical psychologist I regard this as one of the best resources for parents of teens. This helps parents to look at the teen with ADHD as having some executive skills impairments that need remediation and understanding. Parents also rate their own executive skills and can try to be a better fit in parenting these adolescents. There are many constructive suggestions in this book and I highly recommend it.
on October 2, 2013
I have a high school freshman who needs help pulling it all together. This book is great...gives you some perspective on why they do the things they do (or maybe don't do the things they need to do). Sometimes when you ask them why, and they say I don't know why....they really don't know why!!!! Includes strategies they need to help work through and deal with the executive skills they are lacking.
on April 13, 2014
I've been working with my son with ADHD for ten years trying to find something that actually works. This books provides the tools to help parents work in a positive way to teach their teens skills that they lack or are weak with.
on October 26, 2015
Very behavior focused and not very engaging. This seems like it might be better for your average teen without a diagnosis or light ADHD as opposed to kids with heavy ADD and no behavior issues. I didn't find anything of use here other than one of the quizzes, which frankly just told me what I already know.
on December 23, 2014
An excellent reference. I read the entire book through, completed the quizzes. I have had a few talks about executive skills with my daughter, but after about 5 minutes, I can see her eyes glaze over, and know that all she's hearing is BLAH BLAH BLAH (if I could just get to my phone...) BLAH BLAH BLAH. Finally, I just gave her the book and told her what to read. Thankfully, she loves quizzes and checklists, so when she took the ones in the book, everything I had been saying suddenly became crystal clear. When she scored those quizzes, she could see exactly where her strengths and weaknesses are. For a teen, the ability to step back and take an objective look at your own behaviour is a huge step! We now have a broader, more objective picture of her abilities, and from there we can work out a plan. That is the next hurdle. I recommend using this book as a tool to empower your teen and open up a dialogue about working with your own strengths and weaknesses. It has been a great help for us.
on March 30, 2013
The best part was when the author brought up the point that we may see thier deficits and want to help our teens improve, but if they don't see it as a problem, or necessarily even want our help, it's never going to work. Excellent advice to keep in mind as we work WITH teens, not against.
on April 19, 2017
Nails it!! Daughter is recovering from aftereffects of chemo and the related impact on executive skills... Only about 1/2 way through but they at least IDENTIFY and EXPLAIN the problems exactly, regardless of the cause/source of the executive skills weaknesses... Hoping that they are as good at providing answers and strategies in the second half of the book as they are at the background in the first 1/2.
on June 20, 2014
Again another great one from these authors. Good questionnaires and assessments, great info on motivating your teen based on behavioral styles and some great tools. I highly recommend it as a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist!
on April 25, 2017
Very interesting book. Haven't read the entire book hoping it will have more detailed info on how to help
The beginning trys to identify which type of executive functioning they might fit into. I'll repost again. Which I ended up skipping some of the it. It's already what I know now help to work on it