Lyft Vehicles Review HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc August Greene All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

The Best Of 3 Dog Night
Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon June 1, 2006
Three Dog Night was the most successful singles band of the seventies. This collection is a valuable and obvious choice for fans and the uninitiated. The group may not have endured as well as Fleetwood Mac or the Eagles, but their following is not a fleeting one. Their biggest hits still have an instant appeal. Many of them were consciousness raising, including "Family of Man," "Black and White," and "Out in the Country". Each song could be parodied, but they were also eloquent and engaging enough to matter. They could also be considered maudlin with their love songs, especially "Old Fashioned Love Song," "Easy to Be Hard," and "One," making their suitability a matter of taste. While I recommend all of them, many understandably may not. However, some of the other songs provide greater substance and variety. "Celebrate" is a forgotten gem, and "Eli's Coming" showcases them the masters of the keyboard with an (oddly) entertaining and eerie song. Soul is done reasonably well with "Sure as I'm Sitting Here," "Try a Little Tenderness," and "Mama Told Me Not to Come". The latter is a tongue-in-cheek anti-drug song, written by songwriting humorist, Randy Newman. (A memoir reveals the lead singer as a drug semi-casualty.) Besides the perennial "Joy to the World," they lighten up considerably on "Shambala" and "The Show Must Go On". There are a few weak moments in the collection, but it is a better bet than any of their original albums (unless you are a rabid fan). Song for song, the variety, energy, and spirit make 'The Best of Three Dog Night' a fine collectible for seventies' afficionados.
33 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 18, 2001
Acting like a modern day Goldilocks, I have dogged out other collections for having too much filler, or not having enough of their work. This is the one, though!
This single disc collection is what we would come up with if we took every T.D.N. collection, and burned a single disc of their best stuff. They were all over pop radio back in the late sixties into seventies, with good reason.
Just put it on, and remember thirty years ago. All their hits are here, from "Easy" to "One", "Let me Serenade You", "Never Been to Spain" and "Celebrate".
This is the only collection you will ever need from this band. Lots of memories of an easy happy time (speaking solely of the music, of course!)
on December 26, 2013
This was the first band that I purchased as a young teen when it was on cosset at the local Pharmacy. That had to be around 1977. I never replaced it and added it to my music collection until I watched the composer Nillson singing one of the songs from the cosset on Netflix . This prompted me into purchasing it for my collection again. This was the first time I just bought the download of the MP3 and I have now purchased more MP3's saving the environment buy not buying all of the packaging and just getting what I wanted was the MP3 for my smart phone. I look at all of the CD's I own and never play because I ripped them and put them on my computer and transferred them to a MP3 player. There are many classic songs on this recording and it brings back memories from the past. I would recommend this composition to anyone of any age.
on December 4, 2017
If you buy the CD, you are buying a CD-R made by Amazon. Printing Quality on the labels is noticeably shoddy, and who knows if this was made from high quality audio files or crappy MP3s.

Returning this to Amazon so I can get a REAL CD.
on August 21, 2017
It's Great!
on November 23, 2017
OK, but not great.
on January 27, 2017
One of my favorite bands!
on December 13, 2017
none
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
One of the many mysteries of pop and rock is how Three dog night, hugely successful in their native America, had only a couple of minor chart entries in Britain. I was unaware of them until many years later, when I discovered that I actually recognized several of their hits via other versions.
Two of their best songs, Joy to the world and Never been to Spain, were written by the late, great Hoyt Axton - a brilliant singer-songwriter who is vastly under-rated. Two of the other songs here, The show must go on and One man band, were hits in Britain for Leo Sayer, who wrote one of them and may or may not have been the original singer of the other. Another song that I recognized is Black and white, though I'm not sure where I heard it first. All of those songs, as performed by Three dog night, are brilliant, but another familiar song, Otis Redding's Try a little tenderness, is ordinary by comparison.
There are many other great songs here, most of which will be familiar to Americans old enough to remember them at their prime. Brits may not recognize all the songs, but they were an excellent rock band and are worth investigating. The only flaw is the absence of liner notes, but it's the music that counts so they still get five stars from me.
on July 1, 2017
Great music. Brings back fond memories of the days when you could understand what singers were singing.