Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 77 reviews
on January 27, 2011
I can go on and on about the fact that Freddie Mercury has arguably the best vocals in rock music. His range is unsurpassable (he does Opera perfectly) I can go on and on about how Queen is the ultimate Rock/Glam Rock Band of all time, a must have group in any serious music collection, but I don't need to. Anyone looking at this item (due to its price and size) is obviously aware of all that I have said. These albums are great, and a must have, obviously, so I am gonna more or less review the package itself (what's in it and quality of design etc). I originally heard Queen on the radio when I was younger, and my most extensive foray into their work came in the form of their first greatest hits on 8-track tape. I later converted it to regular cassette, but now I am showing my age. I was ten when I heard their GHs. After some time (after cds came out) I wanted to get the complete catalog, but like many other Queen reviewers I was turned off by the extra tracks. At first, being someone who wants the most bang for their buck I thought it was a great idea. but after hearing the tracks (mixed by other people than Queen) I realised I would much rather have rare songs or b-songs to the lackluster remixes. So basically those tracks could be left off (and were when I copied my cds to cassette, so I could take them with me on my walkman...yes a walkman) So having them in their original state is great, and also the box is really nice. I tend to hate when they rerelease albums in the gatefold sleeves or cardboard sleeves, but since it's in the keepsake box I don't mind. I just hate cardboard sleeves cause they are harder to keep clean/and kept safe. but this works. each cd is in a sleeve or gatefold cover that mimics the original albums. Also they are placed in the box in chronological order. The booklet is very nice, though the intro/comments are a bit meandering, and unnecessary at times, I like that all the lyrics are included, though I'd rather have a mini booklet for each cd, but that's a minor qualm. Overall the box is nice and purple, very royal. These albums are a must have as well. I would hope they put the remaining cds, including made in heaven, in a second box set, but I'm not sure if that's in the works or not or even on the table. I really think Made in Heaven is very underappreciated. But, this is about the box set, so I'll leave that for another day. This set is great and a must have, Overall I'm very satisfied with the layout and quality of the release. Hey it even has a replica of the original fat bottomed girls poster, so what more do u want? For completists or for people just starting out this set is definitely worth getting. I needed to replace the crappy versions of the cds I did have and fill in the blanks for a few of them so this was a great way to do that.
on February 17, 2012
I have been a big Queen fan since I was a kid back in the late 70s & 80s. I even have their albums on records, and also saw them live in Melbourne back in '85. What a gig!.
But when I heard that they were remastering their catalogue again, I thought I would investigate as I only had the early stuff on vinyl.

I wasn't really interested so much in the bonus tracks being offered with the 2011 remasters as there is a lot of already available stuff.
I would actually prefer them to release a set of rarities, a bit like the The Boss did with Tracks.

Anyway, after reading a few reviews I thought I would see what else was available. That's when I stumbled upon this box set. It really does contain the best albums that queen ever made, and the way they developed and kept changing in a relatively short time was a lot like the Beatles did.

Now, there has been some negative comment on the use of noise reduction in the remastering of this set which I think is probably unwarranted. Maybe those comments are by Audiophiles with the absolute top class gear. I actually think they sound pretty good. Some albums better than others, and even some songs on the same album sound better than others. But if you have regular audio equipment, these albums will sound fine. The dynamic range is still there i.e. the quiet passages are still quiet and the loud still loud. I guess everyone has their own opinion, and hearing! As I said before, I think they sound fine.

I really love the concept of the packaging, but feel it could have been done just little bit better. The LP replicas look great except you need a magnifying glass to read the titles. This is just a small criticism though. Also the booklet doesn't have a whole lot of info, rather just the song lyrics and an essay. This companion piece is clearly to counter the small print of the LP replicas. Also the "rare photos" in the booklet are actually from the original LP insert sleeves. The other thing is that the felt covered display box could have been a little smaller. But this is only my opinion. Others would likely disagree.

All in all this is a great package which I would recommend to any Queen, or rock music fan. Get it now before it is gone. I got it for a bargain on Amazon.
on June 24, 2008
This box set captures Queen at their highest peak. Every album is essential Queen.

BUT, as a box set, I feel like Hollywood Records could have done a much better job. The blue velvet box is quite nice, but the racks inside the box are cheapy vacuum-formed plastic, and not even very well glued in. The booklet is long, but it's primarily just the lyrics and a single essay. No extra photos, no critical analysis. Bummer.

I love the mini-LP jacket reproductions, especially the gatefold covers! It's too bad the shortcomings really subtract from the nostalgic geeky joy of the packaging. The inner sleeves are all plain white, so we're missing out on a lot of the original packaging. The Game's chrome treatment is missing, and it has a different (inferior) cover photo (oddly, the correct photo is reproduced inside the lyrics booklet). Jazz's gatefold photo is poor quality. And what happened to the cover of News Of The World? There's a horrible green border around all the front and back covers.

Anyway, enough ranting. If you don't have this music already, buy this set! As for me, I'm going to listen to the great Crown Jewels CDs and drag out my old albums to enjoy the full experience of the sleeves, art and inserts.
on July 17, 2011
Service level @ ordering: stage 5 Stars

Service level @ post ordering stage: 5 Stars

Service Level @ receipt of goods...in perfect condition...exactly as ordered...timely delivery

Review of product:

Have all the queen albums upto the flash sound track on vinyle...nice to finally get most of them on CD with the original art work...the only album missing the original artwork was " Sheer Heart Attack...missing was the high gsm fold out lyric sheet. Lyrics in the excellent booklet though.

Sound is sensational...consistently brilliant really...following on from the original recording philosophy...very happy.

Star rating: 5 Stars

You have a very happy client.

Vassili KotzasThe Crown Jewels
on August 13, 2007
This is my opinion but this was the height of their career. Although the 80's and 90's Queen was good, it didn't come up to their epic grandeur embodied in their 70's recordings. This box set has all the good stuff from Queen to The Game. Queen did it all progressive, hard rock, heavy metal, speed metal, ballads, rockabilly, vaudeville, glam etc. like no other band. No other band could pull off this pastiche with such skill. All the band members strengths shine through. Freddie's Operatic vocals, Brian's texture laying guitar, John's throbbing bass lines and Roger's expert rippling on percussion. Though they had a awesome career after the 70's this still was their best and a good band at it's prime. Buying all these albums seperately used comes to the same price as this set, so if you are a fan of classic rock and a good band, by all means get this set you won't be disappointed.
on April 21, 2016
I have looked for this for years. Thought it was OOP and Amazon had 1. As a kid I grew up listening to Queen. I kept up with them over the years. I finally have these great albums on CD. If you are Queen fan this set is vital to seek out.
on October 6, 2014
wow, loved it
on January 16, 2011
I ordered this great Queen Collection at amazon.com because I only had the vinyl versions of the "older" but basic Queen albums. I am surprised about the very good sound quality of these recordings (I already had "A Day At The Races" and "The Game" as CD); that's what I call a First-Class-Remastering.

The books with all the lyrics and the liner notes is also pretty cool; the only thing I miss are the lyrics from "Mustapha".

I recommend this item to each "old" and "new" Queen fan !!!!!!!!!
on December 15, 2006
An absolutely brilliant collection. After "The Game", Queens music became more erratic and eccentric. This is the real meat and bones of the Queen cds. Hell, my childhood lies in this box set! The Album re-creations are brilliant, and the inner sleeves in each one protects the cds from dislodging. They sound incredible and at some of the prices i see this being sold by used/other sellers its an absolute bargain! Even the $95 that amazon sells it new as is a bargain considering this is 8 cds. work it out. Not to be missed on any level.

If you RIP your music onto computer as i do, you play the cds once and have an immaculate collection to be cherished forever. The 'Real' Queen music in its own storage unit, each individually captured in its original LP artwork (including gate-fold) the booklet gives info and lyrics to each cd! I cant speak enough of the value and quality of the set by one of the most under-appreciated bands in history!
VINE VOICEon February 20, 2006
I just purchased this set to boost my collection of Queen albums and have been a fan since they emerged in the early 70's. OK, so this is NOT a reflection of this multi talented band in entirety, and they certainly produced a lot of good albums after "The Game" (last album chronologically in this set)so a 25 year box set is missing quite a bit. That said, this set does contain some of their best work. From the deep rock seasoning of "the Prophets Song" and "Tie your Mother Down" to the choral flow of Brian May's "39", the rasping brood of Roger Taylors "In Love with my Car" and even the campy eloquence of "Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon" (plus many many more) one thing becomes quickly clear. Queen as a band never stood still, with a broadness of range and evolving style, this multi talented quartet were at the top of their game, and the forefront of Rock music for the last thirty years, and have doubtless inspired, and spawned many famous names since.

This rating has to be 5 stars from a collectors point of view all the way for the following reasons:

1) These are the original recordings remastered onto CD, and they sound just like the vinyl albums. Great!

2) They are the original length albums, not remixed, rehashed, or added to with special "bonus" tracks and weird "mixes"

3) Nice presentation velvet box, and I like the copy of the album sleeves for each CD, some bifold, some single sleeve with protective inner sleeves. Also complete lyric list booklet.

4) The first (and arguably the best) of their amazing range is here, in their first eight albums.

True musicians as they were, it was not until the release of "The Game" that they caved, and began to use synthesisers (each preceeding album boasts "no synths" in the album smallprint).

Having said all of this about this great set, they are one or two things you should remember however.

1) A lot of good stuff came after this set, so it doesn't actually represent 25 years.

2) It's a collectors set, so it's overpriced

I know a lot of people could care less about nice sleeves, and a fancy velvet box, and indeed most of these will end up in flip cases, or CD sun visors. Also some people may like the re releases with the bonus tracks and buying the individual albums may be cheaper. My advice - this is a MUST HAVE either way, I still used Amazon, but sorry guys I used your marketplace and saved over $65!! on retail, so shop wisely. Enjoy