Customer Reviews: Stanley 10-499 Quick-Change Utility Knife with Retractable Blade and Twine Cutter, Silver
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon bajillions bajillions bajillions  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Frank Sinatra Shop Cycling on Amazon

on March 4, 2002
Great design by Stanley so you don't have to take it apart to change blades. The little storage area for blades is neat too.
The blade change isn't totally intuitive so it would help if they put something like this on their packaging: "Push down black retractable blade button and push all the way forward past the detent so the button stays pushed down. Then push in the silver side button and pull blade out."
Only reason I gave it 4 stars is that I used it to cut some ceiling tile and rubbed off a big section of paint on the handle near the blade; they should have nickel or chrome plated that section instead of painting it.
on July 29, 2012
For such a simple procedure this was one of the most frustrating things I have EVER had to learn in my life. If manufacturers would devote just 1/10 the effort providing instructions as they do in developing packaging that requires an athlete to open, it would never have been frustrating at all. I consider myself a pretty intelligent individual; but it took me HOURS to learn how to properly install a blade in this sucker. (I had not watched the video at that time; and to be honest, I'm not sure why the guy who produced the video had so much trouble getting it in once he understood the process.) Once I understood what to do, I have taken the blade in and out repeatedly in a few seconds each time; but getting there the first time can be mind boggling. I did somehow get the blade in the first time; but all I had was a little nub of a blade to cut with. Once I understood the process and got the blade out and back in, I had a fully functioning utility knife.

Three steps:
1) Push the slider all the way to the third click and then hold down and push once more until it locks into the down position.
2) THEN ... and only then ... push the yellow rounded button until you see the tiny guide come out a little bit.
3) Carefully insert the blade until you feel it pop into the first position and let go of the little yellow rounded button. That's it. You get three blade positions ... very short, medium and fully extended.

It's a snap once you get the hang of it; and the extra blade storage unit on the bottom is easy to work.
77 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2010
I am so glad to see other reviewers had problems figuring out how to change the blades. It has literally taken me 30 minutes to get the blade in, and I really thought I had just somehow gotten a broken one. Now that the blade is in, I don't have any idea how I got it there. Very frustrating as "using a knife" didn't bring to mind ideas of spending half an hour getting it ready before I could even start. Come on Stanley, put some directions on this thing. If you've got some time to figure out this Indiana Jones-esque device, go ahead and save a couple dollars. Otherwise, spend a few bucks more and get something easier to use.

edit as of 4/4/2011 - I put a video on here because I finally had time to make putting the blade in a project on its own. The quality isn't that great, but it's solid information and gives you a realistic idea of what changing blades is like. Once that blade is in, I have no complaints.
2121 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2003
This is a very nice knife.
As was mentioned it is sometimes difficult to change the blade, you need to make sure push the blade ALL the way out and then press the blade release button. The spare blade holder is nice and big, I have about 5-6 blades there. The string cutter doesn't seem to work all that well, so I ususaly just use ther enitre blade to cut string.
on May 10, 2014
I had a plastic utility knife that the paper boy ripped off. I wanted something good this time- not some cheap HD product. After looking at reviews I bought this. 2 DAYS later I was woken up by a knock on my door. It was hand delivered! The body is solid. It is hard to see how they can sell this so cheap. It is well made. It feels like a real tool. not the cheap plastic i once had. I had read reviews on how they could not figure out how to install a new blade. It took me about 2 minutes to figure it out- remove the blade from the storage side and install it.
If you can't figure this out in a minute or two then maybe you should not be using this product.
I am glad I spent the extra dollar or two and bought something that is quality.
on December 27, 2014
Oddly there are no instructions on how to effect a quick change, but I figured it out. The yellow button at the front allows you to take out the razor and reinsert it backwards to use the full blade.After that you can put in a new blade by simply removing the old one and loading a new one from the set stored in the handle accessible with the lower back end yellow lever.
on November 25, 2002
This is an excellent knife, I have owned more than 20 in my career. (there must be many homeowners who own them now because of my absent mindedness) I would only say there is one knife better than this. It would be the Craftsmen knife of the same design because the Craftsmen is made of aluminum and weighs less and has a sleeker feel. If you can't get to Sears this knife is the next of kin.
on August 14, 2016
My favorite feature of the knife is you need superhuman hand strength to press down the loading button so you can forcibly insert a sharp greased up blade.

If you don't do hand steroids, buy the one you have to unscrew to load. You can only quick change this knife if Hercules himself loaned you his hands.
on February 21, 2015
This Stanley knife has been around a long time. I have had several over the years. They are very economical. Provides the user with quick change blade capability. It is built well and holds up under abuse. It is neither heavy nor bulky for most projects. One tip users may find helpful is as you use the knife (especially on drywall) put a couple drops of oil, squirt of WD-40 or comparable lubricant in the blade slit at the front and in the blade thumb adjuster on top. It will help the knife operate smoothly.
on May 14, 2015
Let me preface by saying I build things. I worked two years of residential construction, I am now working towards a degree in mechanical engineering, and even as a 5 year old kid, I would design things out of wood and metal. I have found that I am a bit more intuitive than most; the way things work just makes sense to me. I also have a man's size large hand, if you wonder how yours compares.
That being said, it boggles my mind that it takes some of these reviewers so long to figure out how to change the blade. If you are having that much trouble, perhaps you should not be using it, as you'll probably hurt yourself.
I have tried a dozen or so and commonly used a few different models of utility knives. This one is clean and simple. It does not have that extra grippy rubber exterior which just makes pulling it out of your pocket a hassle, nor does it have a convoluted grip; it is easy to hold and use. The one button you need, the retracting mechanism, is right where you want it, while the other buttons, for quick changing blades and for storing extras, are not in the way, but still very easy to use.
It is so nice being able to flip a blade over in 3 seconds when one end gets dull, or to be able to switch between a sharp and dull blade on the fly depending on what you need. So nice to be able to carry a variety of blade types so you are prepared no matter what you run into. The mechanism accepts all standard razor blades, though I have only used three types myself (straight and two types of hooked blades). I have never had a utility knife wear out, just the blade. When I left construction and started my own tool collection, this was the first thing I bought.
Having worked on projects ranging from intricate plastic scale models to three story mansions, I have come to regard the utility knife as the second most useful tool there is, only being bested by a hammer, and this is the best utility knife you can get. Especially if you prefer the old straight feel to the new convoluted and grippy models.

See 1 answered question