BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Albums $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment TNF TNF TNF  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 29, 2012
I knew I would love these tortilla bowls the first time I saw them. I always skipped tostadas because of the shell being fried. These make the most tasty and delicious shells, and much better for your health because they are baked. Spray the pans with oil, then steam the tortilla in the microwave for a few seconds to make it soft. Lay in your pan and press it around the curves. Tear a couple really small holes in the bottom so it doesn't puff up like pie crust does (I don't use a fork because I don't want to scratch the non-stick coating). Then bake at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and fill with your favorite fillings. I am making the dessert one today! Before you bake the shell, brush with orange juice, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, bake, and fill with ice cream or yogurt, fruit, anything you like.
Highly recommended !!!
44 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 29, 2010
I've had a set of these for about 14 years now and they still look like new. They make crispy shells and are easy to clean. They can go in the dishwasher but they're so easy to clean by hand (tortilla shells don't make much of a mess) I usually just wash them that way.

Since I bought them my wife and I had kids so I had to buy more pans...they love when we have taco salads in baked shells. The pans are inexpensive and don't take up much space so I figured I'd add a couple of pans and increase my taco shell production capacity.

These pans are highly recommended if you want a lighter taco salad shell. Of course your salad won't be light if you fill the shell with sour cream, cheese, and greasy meat, but at least you've got a start with the shell.

One last note - the pans I have from 14 years ago were made in the USA. I know this because I saved the part of the box that had cooking instructions on it...also on that part of the box is "Made in the USA". The pans sold today are made in China. They're nearly identical to my older pans - hopefully they'll hold up as well as my other two.
on August 10, 2012
Alright--so it's a bit 'made for tv' but seriously... we bought these and I'm already on taco salad #3... does a great job of making a single-serve bowl (smaller than the restaurant size... which is good for portion size) and it's quick and easy too... 10 mins after I decided that I want a taco salad bowl... I have one.. technically two if I think ahead. If you want to make taco salad once in a while, have a meager amount of space in your cabinet and can wait 10 minutes from when you want a taco salad to when you have one (ok.. maybe 15 if your oven isn't preheated)... these are for you.

Serious details:
- smaller than a restaurant-style taco salad shell, but still big enough for a good dinner-sized taco salad at home
- 10 mins at 425... instructions might say different (I threw them out... i'm a guy.. what did you expect)
- cools off fairly quickly, but you'll want to get more if you are expecting to make them back-to-back. We had someone over and making 3 took about 25 mins (5 mins to cool in between so I could put the tortilla in and get it back in the oven)
on November 29, 2012
Chicago Metallic Non-Stick Large Tortilla Shell Pans are a Great alternative to frying Tortillas by Baking them in the Oven, I don't have to oil or spray them they are Non-Stick and the Tortilla Bowls look Terrific coming out of the Oven. I make all kinds of Tostadas and Taco Salads are some of my favorites things to Cook in these Bowls. I also like to sprinkle them with Herbs for an extra Taste or even brush them with Flavored Oils, Lemon Oil, Garlic Oil ...

I've got smaller Tortilla Bowl Makers that I use even for Desserts, However, Chicago Metallic Tortilla Bowls are very Big and Excellent for all kinds of Main Course Mexican Dishes or any dishes and even Salads, Measuring Exactly 4 Inches Base Diameter by 3 Inches High by 8 -1/2 Inches across They are very well Made in China. The Box of the Tortilla Shells has Two Recipes, Chicken Taco Salad and Beef Taco Salad in English French and Spanish besides the instructions how to make a Tortilla Shell. They arrived Fast and without any Problems

I've got many of these Tortilla Making Bowls all Sizes but I think Chicago Metallic Non-Stick are some of the Best. You have to use the Large Flour Tortillas to make a nice large Tortilla Shell, I use whole wheat Tortillas and they are very small, but OK for a small Dish, don't use Baking Trays just place them in the midle of your Oven on Top of the Oven Rack, cover them with Aluminum Foil while Baking if browning too Fast, so the edges won't burn.

This Note is on the Box: Do Not use Dishwater Detergent Tablets/Capsules. The concentrated cleaners will damage the Non-Stick Finish on Bakeware. ~I wash mine by hand I don't have a Dishwasher, my own choice. Chicago Metallic Tortilla Bowls have become my Favorite thing to Bake with and they are a Great way to Impress Family and Guests. I really like them! ...Thank You D.D.
on October 17, 2012
I can't believe I waited all this time to buy myself a set of these tortilla pans. I have been purchasing that overpriced refrigerated taco salad kit in the grocery store. These pans are heavy, high quality and will last a lifetime. I can't believe the excellent quality for this low price. We will make up the cost of these pans in less than a year now that we no longer buy that kit in the store. We had taco salad night for the first time using these pans and they far exceeded my expectations. I lightly sprayed my tortilla shell with olive oil and followed the instructions on the box. The shells turned out crisp, golden brown and ready to fill in mere minutes. We definitely will add taco salad to the menu more frequently. If you are thinking about purchasing a set just do it. You won't regret this purchase.
on May 2, 2013
Ordered these from Amazon & I was very pleased with the results!!
I used the large flour tortillas.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray pans with Pam or similar spray.
Place tortilla in pan & mold to fluting.
Place directly on oven rack. No need for baking pans, they were very stable on the rack.
Bake for 8 - 10 minutes.
Remove from oven & let cool for a few minutes & serve.
I made mine in advance & used about an hour later & they were excellent.
The tortillas come out light, flaky & crispy, like a pie shell!!
We loved them!!
Next time I am going to sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar & make refried ice cream in them!!
One of my best kitchen gadget purchases yet!!!
on May 4, 2015
I baked my first batch of "taco salad shells" and am sold on these pans! I read several reviews and used the suggestions made by others. My first she'll......not so good....but after rereading the reviews I adjusted my method and they turned out perfect! For myself I found steaming the tortillas in the microwave was important. While I think the pans are great and give the product 5 stars I'll also give the folks that wrote the reviews 5 stars as well! I always read reviews before I purchase any product and the ones I read (good and maybe not so good) really helped me with this product. "Chicago Metalic" should consider including some of the tips with their instructions.
Great product + helpful reviews = success! So thanks !
Enthusiast: Cookingon November 30, 2015
Love us some taco salads, and if you've ever contemplated the pre-made ones in the store, they ain't cheap, or fresh. With homemade, fresh flour tortillas, these presses are the cats meow. A light spray with oil helps release, but the non-stick does a great job. Nice, heavy, good quality construction absorbs and radiates heat evenly to your tortillas. Well worth your dough.
on March 26, 2014
I used these pans just a few days after receiving them, and they are great! I used a combination of butter/olive oil on the shells themselves instead of just adding cooking spray to the pans per the instructions. I wanted to give the shells a little bit more flavor. Because of this, the shells moved a little bit and also started to puff up when cooking. I had to watch this, and after five minutes, just tap the shells with a non-stick utensil, and let them bake for the recommended time. They're easy to clean and the warrant seems fair (25 year replacement) for them.
on February 28, 2017
I've only used these once since I got them but love them. I followed the directions and the shells slid right out after baking. They are the perfect size to use for a filling meal. Heavy duty construction will last a long time - highly recommend this product.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.