Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM March Birthstone Shop Popular Services westworld westworld westworld  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Size: Single|Color: White|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,269 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,662 reviews
on August 11, 2016
 I've had a KitchenAid mixer for nearly 15 years and love it. I never bought any attachments for it, because I assumed they would be cheap gimmicky things that wouldn't really work. Not true with the grinder attachment. We like our hamburgers cooked outside over charcoal, and ground chuck is the best meat to use for that. I used to be able to buy ground chuck at the stores in my area, but lately all I find is 80% lean mystery meat. When I ask at the butcher's counter for ground chuck, they insist on pushing the mystery meat at me, because it's the same lean/fat ratio. NO - I want chuck - because of the flavor as well as the lean/fat ratio. I've been going to the expensive specialty market and paying top dollar for chuck, then getting the guys at the counter to grind it for me. Despite a store policy of providing custom butcher service, the young kids that work behind the counter resent having to do anything beyond slapping meat on a scale and wrapping it in a piece of paper. I got tired of the eye rolling and decided to start grinding my own.

I'd started doing some looking online and reading reviews of various products. I hesitated to buy the KitchenAid attachment because of reviews that complained of metal in the ground meat, repeated clogging, etc. I was about to spend a few hundred dollars on a big countertop professional device, when I decided to start with the inexpensive KitchenAid and then make the bigger investment if I was dissatisfied. I'm so glad I did that.

Right after this delivery arrived, the chain grocery store near my house had a good meat sale and I was able to get boneless chuck roast for a fraction of the usual price. I bought the three largest ones in the case (approximately 13 pounds total) and brought them home, anxious to start making hamburger patties.

Here are the steps I followed:

1) I followed the directions, and the advice of other reviewers and did not crank the blades down too tight. I never found any metal shavings or stains in my ground meat.

2) I decided to test my new grinder attachment using less than optimum conditions, just to see what it could do. I cut one roast into strips that were one inch wide and several inches long, and also cut some into cubes that were a little more than one inch x one inch. I felt that I should probably trim off the harder gristly bits of fat and the silver skin before I ground the meat, but decided to just throw everything in (as I'm sure they do at the store). I used meat that was refrigerated, but did not put it into the freezer for an extra chill.

3) I filled the tube and tray with meat, and started pushing things through as fast as they would feed. The attached video was taken within a minute or so of when I started grinding.

4) It seemed that the cubes fed through the tube better than the strips, so I did not cut more strips.

5) The refrigerated meat fed without any clogging at first. Because I kept it on the counter as I worked, it started warming up and didn't feed as well. At that point, I stopped and finished cutting the rest of that first roast into cubes - a little larger than 1" x 1", but not too big to feed through the tube. I tossed the cut cubes into a stainless restaurant bowl and put them in the kitchen freezer, which was directly behind where I was working. After a few minutes, I grabbed a handful of the meat that had started to chill, and started grinding again. The cooler meat begin feeding again very easily, and the rest of the grinding worked very well (except as noted in the next step).

6) About this time, I had my first clog. I couldn't figure out what was going on, so I UNPLUGGED THE MIXER, left the attachment on the mixer, unscrewed the cap, and removed the grinding plate and blade. Behind the blade, I found what appeared to be a ring of hard rubber. At first, I thought there might have been a gasket of some sort that had come loose. I eventually realized that it was silver skin that had fed through, then got trapped behind the blade and had been formed into a perfect ring by the rotating worm. I removed that, then started grinding again. When I got to the second and third roasts, I removed any large pieces of silver skin, but didn't spend a great deal of time getting every bit of it. I had one smaller clog, just as I was finishing the third roast. I also noticed along the way that a few bits would not entirely feed, if they had tougher bits of hard fat and gristle. I then started cutting off the obvious chunks of gristly hard fat as I cut cubes.

7) I ground the meat into the KitchenAid mixer bowl. Periodically, I emptied the ground meat into a stainless restaurant bowl in the refrigerator to keep the meat cold.

8) When the grinding was complete, I started making patties. When I make only a few hamburgers, I prefer to make patties by hand. When I make a large batch, I use a patty press. I made big (approx. 1/3 pound) patties with this batch. I pulled about two pounds of meat at a time out of the refrigerator, and started making patties. I use the waxed sheets sized for patties that restaurants use. I place a sheet in the bottom of the patty press, add the meat, add a top sheet, and press. I then turn the patties easily out of the press with no sticking, and stack them on a cutting board on the counter. I made stacks of three or four patties, then transferred the stacks to a cookie sheet in the freezer.

9) I let them freeze for a few hours, then used the FoodSaver to seal the individual stacks. This lets us pull out just enough for my husband and myself, or a larger batch for a a family cookout.

In summary ...
a) Don't screw the cap on too tight and you won't get bits of metal in your food.
b) Use cubes rather than strips, but don't worry too much about keeping them down to 1" x 1".
c) Keep the meet in the freezer (or at least the refrigerator) as you grind.
d) Remove chunks of hard fat/gristle, and bigger pieces of silver skin.

This has worked so well that I plan to buy the sausage maker and pasta maker next.
11 comment| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2010
After using it for over a year, I was compelled to write a review about the metal dust problem!

no matter how much I clean, it always produces black metal dust in the food! this should not allowed to be sold! having metal poison in my food mix is not safe and people should consider twice before purchasing this unit!

See the picture I've uploaded and see it for yourself.

Also, see the discussion titled "gray greas looking ooz" below this page to see more people having the same problem.
review image review image
55 comments| 159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 21, 2015
 We recently bought the 5 qt KitchenAid Stand Mixer KitchenAid KSM150PSCU Artisan Series 5-Qt. Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield - Contour Silver, and had used it a few times in baking. My husband wanted to start grinding his own meats - so we shot a video reivew of our first use ever with this attachment. It was so very easy to use, and made the BEST burgers!!!! I love that everything except the metal disks and the 'knife' (which looks like a little metal plus-sign), are dishwasher safe. We wanted to share the video to show how easy this is to use - we're not pro's by any means and this was our first attempt. Surely, we'll be using this much more! I hope this video is Helpful to anyone considering this attachment. I recommend it wholeheartedly!!!!!
on January 27, 2017
I was torn to give it a 1star or 2star.

Pro
It grinds softer meats such as pork loin and chicken.

Cons
has a hard time with stouter meats such beef... just takes a long time.

HORRIBLE PART
It BROKE my KitchenAid!!!! if I could post a picture of myself crying I would
yes, it ruined my KitchenAid.... in the last year I've used the grinder 3-4 times. I always noticed the motor of the mixer would get warm, and I've been cautious of that.
However, on this past weekend only the 3rd or 4th time I used it, again I noticed the motor warm after grinding about 15lb of pork loin. When I was done, cleaned up the mixer only to find it Won't TURN ON! In short, now one of the bushings is now cracked and possibly gears in the head. UGH - repair cost would be the cost of shipping to KitcheAid (those things are heavy, so apx $45) a minimum $100 repair and cost of shipping back.... so around $200 at least.
on March 21, 2016
Bought this kitchenaid meat grinder attachment from Amazon. Easy to set up. (1) But when I started grinding meat, the metal plate scrapes against screw piece, producing some kind of metal shavings that turns the meat into a metal grey ooze. Search google for "kitchenaid grey ooze" and many other buyers have complained about this. Don't know if metal metal shavings in food is approved by the FDA. Picture I attached shows the grey, almost black meat exiting from the center of the grinder. (2) Also the plastic is poorly polymerized and you can smell it due to monomer/plasticizer leaching. The plastic smell keeps coming back days apart despite numerous washings. (3) Finally, this machine jams when you stuff into it any meat larger than the diameter of the entrance hole, so you have to slice you meat into thin strips before feeding it into the machine. How did this product get such a high rating? Now, I wish the kitchenaid company can publicly address the 3 issues I've raised above right here for everyone to see.
review image
on December 23, 2015
I got this from the seller "Always quality". They were great with the return process but I had to pay return shipping so beware when you buy if its not sold by Amazon. Its not a big deal just a surprise. At any rate why did I return it??

I was so excited to get this. I have wanted one for years. Finally got it and while it was sturdier looking then I thought I found on the first small batch (2 lbs) of pork I was grinding little black bits of something showing up in my meat. Yuck! I took it apart and cleaned it and found some "something" when I wiped out where the attachment goes into the mixer. Start up again and a few minutes in more black bits. Grease, metal, whatever it was I certainly don't want it in my food.

I will also say it did not grind up the fat well at all. I am all for lean meat but sausage and hamburger need some level of fat. This just kept getting bogged down. It also is missing a piece at the tip where you screw on the blade and meat will extrude from the edges. I was very disappointed in Kitchen Aid after waiting to get one so long. I hope this helps.

I have since moved on to a designated meat grinder, fingers crossed for the next batch!
on February 28, 2016
I read the manual, and followed all the instructions and have processed 80lbs pork and 15lbs of chicken.
It squeaks horribly sometimes during operation (someone recommended lubing the parts with pork fat instead of silicone and that actually helped) , cutter head gets easily clogged (I heard the aftermarket blades and plates improve the performance), there is a black residue from the brass bushing that gets into the feeder and mead, it's very hard to clean the brass bushing, the cutter head gets scored by the blade (am I eating metal?!). Good idea in general, but needs to be re-engineered. Would not recommend it to anyone but my sister, because I don't like her.
Did the job quickly and efficiently. I wanted to make my own bologna sandwich spread and this was just what the doctor ordered. Used the course attachment on well chilled bulk tube of bologna. Used speed setting 1 for the actual grinding ( they recommend 1 or 2 as a maximum speed) and it worked like a charm. I inspected the ground bologna for any black specks or particles and didn't find any. When I disassembled the unit for a thorough cleaning, I didn't observe any black shavings, specks or grease inside. The instructions also say NOT to use the plastic wrench to tighten the outer ring--- Only hand tighten........and also to use only speeds 1 or 2 at most for grinding. Maybe that's the key. Looking forward to making chicken salad's, hamburger, meatloaf mixture and more bologna & ham salad spreads.
on March 2, 2017
It was very easy to set up. I just used the mixer bowl for the catch. Used the coarse disc because we are having tacos. The grinder did NOT like the 'marble' it hit at one point, but I think it was more user-error in that I didn't have it at a very high speed (first time test; note for future use: trim the meat more cleanly, and don't be scared to run it at higher speeds.) This is the result of half a chuck roast. I like how it came out, and the grinder could not be easier to use. I see a future in grinding chicken, etc.

The only downside was the ground meat came out a bit behind the white disc that holds the blades in place. This was a bit gross, but it didn't see to really harm anything. This may have happened because I followed the directions to not tighten the ring with the tool, as it stopped when the ring self-tightened further. Not worth knocking off a star, especially as it might have been user-error.
on November 23, 2014
It is impossible to make sausage with this grinder. The meat squirts up and around the pusher/ stomper. Ridiculously poor design, extremely frustrating. Rarely have I ever encountered such an ineffective piece of equipment. Makes me seriously doubt if the designers ever tested it out before putting it on the market and saying that it works for making sausage.

Then to charge $X extra for the sausage stuffer kit, which is just two cheap plastic tubes?? I didn't think much about that beforehand, but upon receiving the package and seeing what I paid for, it was pretty ridiculous. That should be a basic accessory included with any meat grinder. C'mon KitchenAid, you should be embarrassed.

I returned it and got the Weston 575 Watt Electric Heavy Duty Grinder, Silver instead, which has been an absolute joy to use. I stuffed around 30lbs of sausage this past weekend with no issues whatsoever. Good to know that it was indeed the grinder, and NOT a user malfunction.