Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Size: Single|Color: White|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,378 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,771 reviews
on August 11, 2016
 I've had a KitchenAid mixer for nearly 15 years and love it. I never bought any attachments for it, because I assumed they would be cheap gimmicky things that wouldn't really work. Not true with the grinder attachment. We like our hamburgers cooked outside over charcoal, and ground chuck is the best meat to use for that. I used to be able to buy ground chuck at the stores in my area, but lately all I find is 80% lean mystery meat. When I ask at the butcher's counter for ground chuck, they insist on pushing the mystery meat at me, because it's the same lean/fat ratio. NO - I want chuck - because of the flavor as well as the lean/fat ratio. I've been going to the expensive specialty market and paying top dollar for chuck, then getting the guys at the counter to grind it for me. Despite a store policy of providing custom butcher service, the young kids that work behind the counter resent having to do anything beyond slapping meat on a scale and wrapping it in a piece of paper. I got tired of the eye rolling and decided to start grinding my own.

I'd started doing some looking online and reading reviews of various products. I hesitated to buy the KitchenAid attachment because of reviews that complained of metal in the ground meat, repeated clogging, etc. I was about to spend a few hundred dollars on a big countertop professional device, when I decided to start with the inexpensive KitchenAid and then make the bigger investment if I was dissatisfied. I'm so glad I did that.

Right after this delivery arrived, the chain grocery store near my house had a good meat sale and I was able to get boneless chuck roast for a fraction of the usual price. I bought the three largest ones in the case (approximately 13 pounds total) and brought them home, anxious to start making hamburger patties.

Here are the steps I followed:

1) I followed the directions, and the advice of other reviewers and did not crank the blades down too tight. I never found any metal shavings or stains in my ground meat.

2) I decided to test my new grinder attachment using less than optimum conditions, just to see what it could do. I cut one roast into strips that were one inch wide and several inches long, and also cut some into cubes that were a little more than one inch x one inch. I felt that I should probably trim off the harder gristly bits of fat and the silver skin before I ground the meat, but decided to just throw everything in (as I'm sure they do at the store). I used meat that was refrigerated, but did not put it into the freezer for an extra chill.

3) I filled the tube and tray with meat, and started pushing things through as fast as they would feed. The attached video was taken within a minute or so of when I started grinding.

4) It seemed that the cubes fed through the tube better than the strips, so I did not cut more strips.

5) The refrigerated meat fed without any clogging at first. Because I kept it on the counter as I worked, it started warming up and didn't feed as well. At that point, I stopped and finished cutting the rest of that first roast into cubes - a little larger than 1" x 1", but not too big to feed through the tube. I tossed the cut cubes into a stainless restaurant bowl and put them in the kitchen freezer, which was directly behind where I was working. After a few minutes, I grabbed a handful of the meat that had started to chill, and started grinding again. The cooler meat begin feeding again very easily, and the rest of the grinding worked very well (except as noted in the next step).

6) About this time, I had my first clog. I couldn't figure out what was going on, so I UNPLUGGED THE MIXER, left the attachment on the mixer, unscrewed the cap, and removed the grinding plate and blade. Behind the blade, I found what appeared to be a ring of hard rubber. At first, I thought there might have been a gasket of some sort that had come loose. I eventually realized that it was silver skin that had fed through, then got trapped behind the blade and had been formed into a perfect ring by the rotating worm. I removed that, then started grinding again. When I got to the second and third roasts, I removed any large pieces of silver skin, but didn't spend a great deal of time getting every bit of it. I had one smaller clog, just as I was finishing the third roast. I also noticed along the way that a few bits would not entirely feed, if they had tougher bits of hard fat and gristle. I then started cutting off the obvious chunks of gristly hard fat as I cut cubes.

7) I ground the meat into the KitchenAid mixer bowl. Periodically, I emptied the ground meat into a stainless restaurant bowl in the refrigerator to keep the meat cold.

8) When the grinding was complete, I started making patties. When I make only a few hamburgers, I prefer to make patties by hand. When I make a large batch, I use a patty press. I made big (approx. 1/3 pound) patties with this batch. I pulled about two pounds of meat at a time out of the refrigerator, and started making patties. I use the waxed sheets sized for patties that restaurants use. I place a sheet in the bottom of the patty press, add the meat, add a top sheet, and press. I then turn the patties easily out of the press with no sticking, and stack them on a cutting board on the counter. I made stacks of three or four patties, then transferred the stacks to a cookie sheet in the freezer.

9) I let them freeze for a few hours, then used the FoodSaver to seal the individual stacks. This lets us pull out just enough for my husband and myself, or a larger batch for a a family cookout.

In summary ...
a) Don't screw the cap on too tight and you won't get bits of metal in your food.
b) Use cubes rather than strips, but don't worry too much about keeping them down to 1" x 1".
c) Keep the meet in the freezer (or at least the refrigerator) as you grind.
d) Remove chunks of hard fat/gristle, and bigger pieces of silver skin.

This has worked so well that I plan to buy the sausage maker and pasta maker next.
11 comment| 178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 21, 2015
 We recently bought the 5 qt KitchenAid Stand Mixer KitchenAid KSM150PSCU Artisan Series 5-Qt. Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield - Contour Silver, and had used it a few times in baking. My husband wanted to start grinding his own meats - so we shot a video reivew of our first use ever with this attachment. It was so very easy to use, and made the BEST burgers!!!! I love that everything except the metal disks and the 'knife' (which looks like a little metal plus-sign), are dishwasher safe. We wanted to share the video to show how easy this is to use - we're not pro's by any means and this was our first attempt. Surely, we'll be using this much more! I hope this video is Helpful to anyone considering this attachment. I recommend it wholeheartedly!!!!!
review image review image
on January 27, 2017
I was torn to give it a 1star or 2star.

Pro
It grinds softer meats such as pork loin and chicken.

Cons
has a hard time with stouter meats such beef... just takes a long time.

HORRIBLE PART
It BROKE my KitchenAid!!!! if I could post a picture of myself crying I would
yes, it ruined my KitchenAid.... in the last year I've used the grinder 3-4 times. I always noticed the motor of the mixer would get warm, and I've been cautious of that.
However, on this past weekend only the 3rd or 4th time I used it, again I noticed the motor warm after grinding about 15lb of pork loin. When I was done, cleaned up the mixer only to find it Won't TURN ON! In short, now one of the bushings is now cracked and possibly gears in the head. UGH - repair cost would be the cost of shipping to KitcheAid (those things are heavy, so apx $45) a minimum $100 repair and cost of shipping back.... so around $200 at least.
on January 12, 2017
I have been using the Kitchen Aid stand mixer more than 1 year and always happy with it. I buy this attachment for grinding meat or make fresh noodles by myself.
I test it with up to 5 lbs pork loin. I use the fine plates and grind twice at the speed 4 for very fine texture.
The blade doesn’t as sharp as I expected, as many reviews mentioned. But it’s fine. It didn’t overheat after 50 minutes, let it rest 3 or 4 minutes after 10 minutes of grinding.
Cleans up easily with some soap and warm water, or by putting it into the dishwasher. It’s good for home use but I won't recommend it for heavy use.
on May 21, 2017
Grease/Metal ooze issue. Used this grinder for the first time with 2lbs of meat. The first round I had the meat cut up into strips and was using the coarse grinder attachment. It worked perfectly. As the directions suggested, I re-cooled the meat and about an hour or so later, I set up the fine grinder attachment to re-grind the meat so it is was mixed better/finer. This is where the grease/metal ooze issue comes into play. If you look at the attached picture, the view is from the top of the hole feeder, and you will see where the auger metal plate meets with the interior metal plate that is apart of the grinder itself. When you're pushing the meat through the meat hole, meat becomes lodged between the two metal plates and this is where the grease/metal issue arises. With the meat strips I did not have this problem since the auger was able to grab the strip and pull it in, without needing to 'push' it down, hence no contact with the two metal plates. This issue could easily be solved if the meat hole/feeder was moved forward even just a 1/4" so there is no chance of the meat coming into contact with the metal plates. Alternatively, I suppose you could not use the 'pusher' that comes with the grinder to push meat down the hole and very carefully/slowly push meat down with care to not completely fill the feed tube and get meat on the metal plates. However, having to do that is simply unacceptable, would take a very, very long time, and there is no guarantee you would avoid the metal plates to begin with. Needless to say I am going to be returning this attachment since it is flawed by design.
VINE VOICEon August 30, 2016
It's basically a complete waste of money. Works terribly, is difficult to properly attach to the blender, and essentially pulverizes the meat into a gross paste. The stuffer that comes with it is also undersized, so forcing meat into the grinder is an exercise in futility.

I was moving and wasn't able to return it in time and so have just eaten the cost. I did try to contact KitchenAid for a better stuffer as someone here suggested, that was also a waste of time. I got no answer to several e-mails - terrible customer service.
on February 29, 2016
I want to make some sausage so I bought a KitchenAid mixer, then i saw this attachment and bought it too, after reading a bunch of reviews on it. Majority of the people really like it and it works well for them. When I used the grinder to grind some chicken breast to make chicken sausage for the first time, in the beginning it was going good, but toward the end i started to notice that the chicken meat was coming out a little dark, so i stop and check it out, i took the grinder apart and saw that the metal part of the grind worm was dark, like some kind of oil or grease, couldn't figure out how that happened, then I clean it really good and continue grinding but this time i saw some pieces was in with the meat, look like silver or metal pieces wasn't sure what it is, so i stop and take it apart, again the bottom where the metal part of the grind worm was dark and look very dirty, the was a black ring around the metal and wasn't sure what produce it, so i clean it again, and then went online and look up reviews and saw that others had have this happened to them, i was very disappointed, bc i like how simple it is and work with the KitchenAid mixer. I'm not sure if the one I bought is defected but so I went on here and ask others that have bought it, but didn't get a clear answer, so I'm going to return it and maybe buy another one that would not be defected and work better.
on November 23, 2014
It is impossible to make sausage with this grinder. The meat squirts up and around the pusher/ stomper. Ridiculously poor design, extremely frustrating. Rarely have I ever encountered such an ineffective piece of equipment. Makes me seriously doubt if the designers ever tested it out before putting it on the market and saying that it works for making sausage.

Then to charge $X extra for the sausage stuffer kit, which is just two cheap plastic tubes?? I didn't think much about that beforehand, but upon receiving the package and seeing what I paid for, it was pretty ridiculous. That should be a basic accessory included with any meat grinder. C'mon KitchenAid, you should be embarrassed.

I returned it and got the Weston 575 Watt Electric Heavy Duty Grinder, Silver instead, which has been an absolute joy to use. I stuffed around 30lbs of sausage this past weekend with no issues whatsoever. Good to know that it was indeed the grinder, and NOT a user malfunction.
on January 13, 2016
I bought this because I wanted to try my hand at grinding rabbit meat and making usage but did not want to invest a ton of money. Since I already have a kitchen aid mixer I thought it was worth a try. I am not disappointed. For small batches of meat/fruits and other stuff this grinder hits the mark. I just finished making 3 lbs of rabbit sausage and I could not be happier with my purchase. It took longer to debone the rabbits then it did to grind and stuff casings.
on March 21, 2016
Bought this kitchenaid meat grinder attachment from Amazon. Easy to set up. (1) But when I started grinding meat, the metal plate scrapes against screw piece, producing some kind of metal shavings that turns the meat into a metal grey ooze. Search google for "kitchenaid grey ooze" and many other buyers have complained about this. Don't know if metal metal shavings in food is approved by the FDA. Picture I attached shows the grey, almost black meat exiting from the center of the grinder. (2) Also the plastic is poorly polymerized and you can smell it due to monomer/plasticizer leaching. The plastic smell keeps coming back days apart despite numerous washings. (3) Finally, this machine jams when you stuff into it any meat larger than the diameter of the entrance hole, so you have to slice you meat into thin strips before feeding it into the machine. How did this product get such a high rating? Now, I wish the kitchenaid company can publicly address the 3 issues I've raised above right here for everyone to see.