Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on February 5, 2015
This is the BY FAR the best Blu-Ray audio DVD I have heard so far. Everyone reading this is most likely familiar with the musical content of this recording, so my comments are primarily about the BD release. When that synth in "Funeral for Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" starts with its initial "wah wah"...sheesh!!! The hairs on my arms just rise and begin swaying with the music. The vocals in "Jamaica JO" sound like Elton is sitting in the room with you. The separation (in 5.1) is wonderful throughout the disc. A friend has the DVD-Audio version of this album, but I propose that this sounds EVEN better. The strings are "stringy", the guitars are up front without being in your face, the harmonies are almost beautiful. If you have a Blu-Ray player and a half-decent home audio system, this will blow you away. Give your old CD to a deserving friend, because this is THE definitive version of GYBR...so far. Included with this DVD is a coupon for a free MP3 download of the entire DVD; a nice offering from the manufacturer, but wholly unnecessary compared to the Blu-Ray audio. If you love, or even like, GYBR, you owe it to yourself to buy this. Most highly recommended.
44 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 20, 2014
I can't add much here to the other reviews of the music here, so I'll talk about the sound. I also have the SACD and DVD-Audio versions of this album, and being the surround sound enthusiast that I am, I was glad to see the 5.1 mix included in this release. The textures of the surround mix are brought out even more here. It makes the music even more enjoyable. Now for the criticism, and it's not of this album; rather, it's for the Pure Audio series. C'mon, UMG! The fine albums you're offering in this series ALL deserve to include a 5.1 mix. BD-A offers so many possibilities, and having all albums in this series include a great surround mix will make this series more worth buying. It's especially wrong not including surround mixes of the albums when such mixes already exist. Not including these mixes in their respective Pure Audio releases is cheating us out of hearing the music with all it can deliver. How 'bout it?
22 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 5, 2014
The quality of the sound on these Blu-Ray High-Fidelity Audio albums is amazing. It is so much clearer and beautiful than the compressed sound of CD and MP3 downloads. Hell, it even gives vinyl a run for its money!

For the remastering of Elton John's classic album, I can certainly tell a difference in the quality of the Blu-Ray and the mp3 download (a code is included) really shows the difference. The Blu-Ray version of Candle in the Wind made me legitimately cry, and the quality of the sound on this version really brings out the power and character of this Marylin Monroe tribute (imagine the tears I'd shed if the 1997 version for Princess Diana made it to Blu-Ray Audio!). I won't lie, Bennie and the Jets used to bore me to death. However, on this Blu-Ray iteration, the song really came to life. I felt like I was actually a part of the audience heard cheering during the song!

All in all, the work as a whole really comes out in the Blu-Ray version. The library of available Blu-Ray Audio albums is still generally small, but hopefully more works become available to this new format. I pray that this becomes the dominant way in which people listen to music in their homes (certainly a daunting task, due to the immense popularity of digital downloads). I hope to compare and review many of the other BR albums currently available, such as John Lennon's "Imagine" and Lenny Kravitz's "Are You Gonna Go My Way."
on June 22, 2016
I have this on vinyl and standard CD. The album still sounds great but sometimes it's much easier to slide the CD in the player. Unfortunately, the CD lasts something that the album had. Well, the SACD sounds much better than the standard CD. If you don't have the album or just want to have the simplicity of putting on a CD, skip the standard version and buy this one if you have the audio equipment hat plays SACD, you won't be sorry.
on November 29, 2014
One of my all time favorite albums gets a remake for it's 40th year. It certainly didn't need it as the last special edition was already cleaned up rather nicely from its original state. Elton John's opus and masterpiece shines here, as it always has. All of the original tracks are remastered to perfection, even thgh I can't tell a difference from the last remastering.

The extra tracks are a nice touch, but even for this Elton John, fan, they can be a bit much if you listen to all in one sitting. I did enjoy the live versions of the songs and they brought out how well of a show man Elton is and always has been.

If you don't already have this album, this is a must purchase. If you already have the previous remastered version and don't want to hear extra songs like the live performances, then you can skip this version.
on June 29, 2014
This is one of those albums that helped define a decade! Definitely a masterpiece of 70's music! There are things about Elton John's persona I may not agree with, but nobody can dispute his talent. It is a perfect album! There isn't a flaw or throw-away song here. It is almost as if the Beatles had passed the torch of Anglo-American top 40 hitmaking on to Elton. During the early-mid 70's, Elton had a string of hugely successful albums, but this one stood out as his masterpiece. If there is only one Elton John album in your library, this should be it! You may want to add his greatest hits collections later, but there are songs on this album which aren't on either of those and you WILL want to hear them!
on August 15, 2015
I was in high school when this album came out. Still sounds amazing, even better now. The extra bonus includes new artists with their own renditions of Elton John's hits. Bernie and the jets by Miguel is outstanding. A good album to any collection. He is so talented and at the top of his game in this one. I have Elton John's hits but you need to listen to his other music to get a real feel of his talent.
on December 31, 2015
Elton's archetypical album gets the royal treatment it deserves. The remastered sounds tremendous, as does the live performance at the Hammersmith Odeon. Both are worth the price of the set alone, along with the DVD, which is a nice historical document of the era. The demos and B cuts also are nice if you don't already have them, although I suspect most Elton fans own them already. Finally, the "revisited" versions from current day artists are a nice tribute to Elton, although I'll admit I probably won't listen to them again. The hardcover booklet is a nice collectors piece as well. Overall, this is a worthy documentation for one of the great recordings of all time.
on August 11, 2016
We recently started buying CDs of our favorite albums from the 1970s and 1980s. We import them into iTunes, then export them as high quality audio onto a thumb drive we carry in the car for road trips. A real bonus when you buy certain CDs from Amazon is that you can them stream them from your Amazon music account. Elton John is still great after all these years, and it was great to bring this music back into our collection.
on February 12, 2015
Love the packaging of this box-set. The remastered album itself sounds great, perhaps slightly better than the remastered 1995 re-issue. But what I really enjoyed the most is the including of the 2-disc live concert from 1974 that was only found before via bootleg sites. Also love the small book it comes with, giving you some good stories on the making of GYBR. The 5th disc which is mainly old B-sides and a few covers from some lesser known artists is okay, but something I could of done without.