Workplace Solutions Editors' Holiday Gift Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Stocking Stuffers Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 1,390 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on September 9, 2001
NOTE: This review is for the now discontinued 26500Y model and is being used to promote the new model 26070 which is a completely different waffle maker. This unethical practice by Amazon makes a mockery of the review system. Shame on Amazon. Caveat emptor.

Well, we wanted waffles and that's what we got with this waffle maker. It works as advertised. Nothing fancy here. Plug it in, make the batter and by the time you're done mixing the batter, the ready light is off and you pour your first waffle. Takes about 4 minutes per waffle and they come out moist on the inside and crispy on the outside. And they don't stick. I don't use any spray or butter on the non-stick surfaces. So, we are happy with our waffles.

UPDATE 11/8/09: It's been eight years and this waffle maker is still going strong. We use it about once a week and it has never failed to delight us with great waffles. And it's easy to clean too.

UPDATE 8/12/12: Still working great although my doctor says I should cut back on the waffles. I don't think so.
review image
2626 comments| 1,606 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2000
This is a great basic waffle iron. It does have an indicator light to tell you when it's ready for the batter. I've seen other irons with timers or lights to indicate when the waffles are done, but I've used this one dozens of times and never burned a waffle yet. The non stick surface is easy to clean and the waffles turn out perfect, crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. I actually use this much more than I thought I would...the kids love them!
0Comment| 289 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 1, 2006
Added, 4/9/2009- Still working great. Even browned crispy exterior, with a perfectly cooked interior. My only question is the price. I paid [...] in 12/06, and its [...] dollars now! Seems like too big of an increase in price.

Original review- This is a great waffle maker. I also have the previous model, the 26400 (red one). This is different in only 2 ways. The cord is a 3 prong on the 26500 (Blue one), and the griddle area is much deeper now, thus it is now a BELGIAN waffle maker.

As far as durability, I think it is best to say that my older one has hundreds of hours on it and is still as good as the first day I used it. This newer one is exactly the same in design and craftsmanship. I am glad that they did not change a good thing! Sometimes I wish the old one would die because now I have two different thickness' of waffles on the table and most people prefer this newer, deep BELGIAN style waffle.

One other difference is that this newer one is just a bit harder to clean. It is because the channels in the griddle are deeper. I use a cooking spray (butter flavored Crisco works best for me) and have never ever had a waffle stick. I did try to rely on the non-stick coating once, and that is NOT a smart thing to do. That is true of any waffle iron I have used. Use a cooking spray!

This device is 650 watts (about 5.5 amps on a 120V U.S. electric outlet). This is good, because most (check your own first) kitchen circuits can handle 15 or 20 amps. I use both the older on and this one at the same time. If you have the 20-amp circuit, you could use three!

I stated that I use two, because using two of these inexpensive waffle makers is much faster than using a large griddle multi-waffle iron. My friend has one of those, four at a time, waffle makers, but each of the four waffles is a bit small. Some of those big waffle-makers cost 60-100 dollars. Get your self two of these models instead. Trust me. It is faster and cheaper. The other bonus is that the chance of both irons being broke the same day is slim, and even if one breaks (unlikely though) it will mean that you lose only [...] bucks, and that you can still make the kids or yourself waffles with the remaining one! I don't like putting my eggs all in basket so to speak.

I have a fully stainless kitchen, but a waffle maker is usually something I put back in the cabinet, so the white and blue finish doesn't phase me.

Well good luck with yours, and I hope that you save some money and get these instead of the big fancy ones that make good waffles too, but cost more and have stainless steel exteriors.

[HINT: Be careful and you can flip this entire device upside down if you desire that feature in a waffle iron. I do it in a glass pie pan so it can't slip off the counter. It is not designed for that, but nevertheless, some people insist on flipping the iron, and it can do it with no batter leakage or threat to the durability of the unit, just be careful.]
11 comment| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 20, 2014
We purchased a Proctor-Silex 26500Y Durable Belgian Waffle Baker and were happy with the product at first. After only two months and less than a dozen uses, we found that the item is not as "durable" as the name suggests. While wiping down the cooking surface as directed in the user manual, a large chunk of the outer plastic broke off. The Waffle Baker was never dropped, mishandled, or roughly used and we are very disappointed that we will need to purchase a replacement so quickly.

Before reviewing this product publicly, we wanted to contact Customer Service to see if perhaps there was a manufacturing error. The break occurred near the screws on the front and the surrounding plastic in the area feels more brittle than the rest of the machine. Since this area becomes EXTREMELY hot during cooking (another flaw in the design, the steam escapes near the handle and can cause burns) we suspected the material was weakened since it is not heat resistant.

Customer Service offered to charge us $12.99 for a replacement, since ours was still under warranty. Since we paid $24.99 for the first one that broke, we decided to invest in a different brand made with higher quality heat resistant materials.
on August 10, 2010
My wife and I are waffle lovers. For years we would go to the neighborhood IHOP and order their Belgian waffles, which are like seven dollars for one. Yikes! But they were just so good that we splurged. We did this for years until the management changed and the service and quality of food shot through the floor, while at the same time the economy tanked and we started watching our nickels and dimes.

So it was back to using a Sweet Heart waffle maker that I had bought her decades ago that made small waffles in the shape of hearts. Yes, it was sweet but you had to eat a bunch of them to match the one large waffle at IHOP.

Recently, as that old waffle maker was starting to wear out, and unknown to my wife, I plotted to buy her a gift since our 35th wedding anniversary was coming up. So I came to my favorite online store, Amazon.com, and perused the various models and read all the reviews. The Proctor-Silex 26500 Morning Baker Belgian Waffle Baker blew all the others out of the water as far as the reviews were concerned. I almost didn't believe that they were completely unbiased, thinking that maybe PS had some of their employees game the unit's reviews (just joking, but it does happen in some places).

Alas, that is NOT the case. I ordered the waffle maker from Amazon and within a couple of days it arrived while I was out of town on work. My wife took delivery of it, loving the surprise (husbands, take a hint and do this kind of thing more often and you'll score major points with your mate), and she started making waffles for herself without me there! She said it was so simple to use that even I would be able to operate it (thanks honey) and that not only were the waffles just as good as IHOP makes, but they are so cheap to make. And the cleanup is a quick wipe and the non-stick surface is ready to go again.

Storage, as you've read, is quite ingenious with the Proctor-Silex 26500. When you are done, you close the lid down and then it sits on it's end, taking up very little counter or shelf space. Thank you PS! It comes with a recipe book of different types of waffles you can make. And did I mention they are as good as the kind you pay lots of money for in a restaurant?

The one thing we did find out, since there is no "waffle done" light or sound, is that you have to use an external timer to time the waffles to get them just right. That was no big deal for us. We kept making waffles until we found the perfect time and they have been perfect ever since. We just use the timer on the microwave oven which sits just over the counter. The reason there is not a timer on the waffle maker is that you can make so many different kinds of waffles from different ingredients, and each kind cooks for a different length of time. So we experimented on our plain waffles and found that 3.5 minutes was the perfect time for perfect waffles, even though the book said 4 to 6 minutes. So you will have to experiment with timing your waffles too. And that's part of the fun of it, isn't it? You get to eat all of those experiments!

You can get all the technical information from the many other reviews here. What I can add is yes, I read the reviews, took the chance that everyone was telling of their truthful experiences and bought the Proctor-Silex 26500, found out that the reviews were indeed true and have enjoyed yummy waffles ever since, with the easiest of cleanup and storage, all for under $30.00.

So go on, be daring and get yours from Amazon.com today. With their return policy, you have nothing to lose!
on February 20, 2005
This waffle maker was purchased to replace a bigger, more expensive model & brand. It costs much less than the "other" model and is by far the better appliance to own & use. It is soooo much easier to clean with no nooks & crannies for batter to get into; the owners manual contains more detailed information for the novice waffle maker and it makes PERFECT waffles each and every time. There's even a well surrounding the waffle iron griddle to catch any over-spillage so the unit remains clean even when over-filled. The only advantage to the more expensive model was that it pre-heated to cooking temperature a little bit faster, but truth be told, there is still dried batter in areas of the expensive model that simply cannot be reached for removal. We used the expensive model twice before buying this replacement and have used it almost daily since it arrived and it's still CLEAN! There are tons of waffle recipes online so breakfast is never boring. Just goes to show that more expensive isn't ALWAYS better!
on August 30, 2014
I just received my waffle iron today and used it as soon as it arrived. I've never owned a waffle iron so I can't compare it to another one. However this waffle iron made the most delicious waffles ever. I used 3/4 cup and it was the perfect amount. The first one I let cook for 5 minutes and 30 seconds and it was overcooked not soft at all almost like a toast. The second one I let cook for exactly 3 minutes and 40 seconds and it was chewy on the inside and crispy on the outside but not too crunchy. It takes a few times to find out the exact time to get the waffles to your liking. I didn't spray the waffle iron and they came out with ease. I would definitely buy this again and recommend it to anyone. Tip: let batter rest for 30 minutes prior to making waffles to get a fluffy airy waffle.
review image
on September 27, 2011
The Good:

- This waffle iron DOES live up to it's reputation in the good reviews about making good waffles.
- It cooks waffles fast, quick, & effectively! It does it in 5 minutes and the orange light goes off & it makes a little click sound to let you know that your waffle is done.
- Water doesn't damage it easily when you clean it.

The Bad:

- The part about the iron plates being nonstick is total BS!
- Cleaning this waffle iron is a REAL pain! I agree with absolutely every word in ganka's 3-star review about cleaning this waffle iron, and it would be MUCH better if the iron plates were removable!
- The paint is really cheap & can get scratched easily.

Overall this waffle iron actually is a pretty good waffle iron. It's just not THE best waffle iron like you'd be led to believe due to it's ratings & reviews on here. It WOULD be the absolute perfect waffle iron if it weren't for all of the things listed in the bad section that hold it back from being that. One final thing that I have to add is that in the "How to Use" instructions section part of the manual that step #1 really should be step #3. Step #1 says that you should spray vegetable oil on the irons first BEFORE you plug it in to preheat, and then wait a few minutes for the preheat light to go out & put the batter in. I followed the instructions precisely & did it that way, but while the iron was heating itself up during preheat mode the vegetable oil in the iron was burning just a bit & turning black. After putting the batter in afterwards it made my waffles turn out a bit brown/darkish (darker than the average waffle would normally turn out after cooking) due to the vegetable oil sitting in the iron for a few minutes. Step #2 which is to simply just plug it in & wait for the orange preheat light to come on should really be Step #1. Step #3 which is to simply preheat with the cover closed until the orange light goes out should really be Step #2. And Step #1 which is to spray the iron plates with vegetable oil should really be Step #3. You should always spray the iron plates with vegetable oil AFTER the waffle iron has preheated itself and RIGHT BEFORE you're about to put the batter in.
on August 19, 2013
I was in the market to become a proud first time owner of a waffle iron. However I was not going to settle for any "low-cost" or "gimmic" waffle iron. I could say I was on a sabbatical to find an iron that would make perfect waffles with a crisp outside and steamy-fluffy inside
After many waffle iron inspired excursions to thrift shops, pawn shops, Walmart, and Target, I knew I had to turn to Amazon to see what the buzz was. I soon realized after my excursions and through the amazon reviews that although those waffle irons that flip upside down are cool, all the ones I could afford (less than $60) are "flimsy" and feel like a toy. I take my waffle making seriously and do not want to feel like I am playing make-believe-kitchen with my 6 year old niece. Also my engineering instinct tells me to stick to what is simple, which led me to this cute little snapper. THIS WAFFLE IRON IS AMAZING. I have only made three waffles on it so far, but IT MADE PERFECT GOLDEN CRISPY WAFFLES WITH HOT STEAMY-FLUFF ON THE INSIDE. And it required no cleaning! And it stores upright nicely! And... And... And... I have decided, unless you run a professional kitchen or feed a family of 13 waffles every day, you do not need to pay any more money for a professional waffle iron that "flips" or "shoots flames out its behind". This waffle iron is inexpensive, but I have no regrets. This iron does exactly what I want it to do. And that is to make perfect waffles.
on January 23, 2013
Bought this at the recommendations of others. At first the waffles turned out awesome but now they are awful most of the time. The waffles get burned in the middle and sometimes do not cook all the way around the edges. Here it is not even three months and am replacing it. What a waste of money. I would not recommend it to others.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.