Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services girlss6 tgirlss6 girlss6  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 59 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 83 reviews
on October 18, 2012
I don't expect such a useless product in this century.Because:- 1.It is just careless collection of a jungle of English words. If any one see "The Oxford Advanced Learner's paper dictionary," can imagine how clearly and systematicaly define each words with supporting examples. 2.The screen is not clear so that it is too difficult reading on this product. 3. The speaking part is totally terrible and useless. Thus, purchasing this product is as equal as throwing money in water and useing it means killing time.
on December 30, 2002
The pronunciation of the words is very clear. Lots of definitions - I have only found one or two words so far that the dictionary does not have. The definitions can be a little short though. Contains lots of extra features like a phonics key that says each part of the word. Also, includes games, which are fun and a stored customized word list. Overall, very happy. I have wanted to improve my vocabulary and spelling which is why I made this purchase.
on June 26, 2006
This was the second time we purchased this product. We now have one for the office and one for the home office. The pronunciation function makes it an invaluable tool.
on August 7, 2009
My wife and I purchased this unit to help our 9 year old son understand words that are difficult when he reads. We wanted something simple and handy (so we chose this over a computer program). We are pleased with it, and a few lines are below.

1. The device has enough words to correct spelling in a meaningful way (fewer words devices can't really do it). Also, it has enough vocabulary for a 9 year old.

2. It speaks relatively clearly (robot accent better than my Romanian accent).

3. It looks like a calculator with computer-like keyboard. Strangely, this is very appealing to our kid and makes him *want* to use the device. This came unexpected, as my wife and I thought the device to be ugly!

4. It has a thesaurus that I personally find useful while writing (although I have no excuse to use it as my editors have thesaurus incorporated ...)

5. The device "watches its language", i.e., it has some adult filters and it won;t be pushed to recite trivial bad words which usually make the kids laugh.

We recommend it wholeheartedly.
on July 3, 2007
More than happy with this product and the speed with which it arrived. It has the best, by far, pronunciation software I have ever heard and is at least as good as the best in the definition department.

Highly recommended.
on March 1, 2012
After five months, I can attest to the Franklin LM6000b's exceptional quality. I bought this device because I needed an electronic dictionary with text-to-speech (i.e., capable of reading words and definitions aloud). Compared to other products on the market with a similar feature, Franklin surpassed them all.

In many ways, the Franklin does "enhance people's self-confidence." Both native speakers and ESL learners can benefit from it. Many of my ESL students use it to familiarize themselves with spoken and written forms of the English language. It has a convenient Phonics button that enables them to hear each sound in a word, which I sometimes use to refine my own pronunciation. When one can't spell a specific word, it'll provide a list of possible matches. As an added bonus, people with weak eyesight can manually adjust the display to read definitions (i.e., adjust font size and screen contrast).

There is one downside to this product's efficacy, though. Some people disdain the "slowness" of its searches, but the one-to-two-second delays don't vex me.

Admittedly, the Franklin's database may not be as extensive or as glorified as the Sharp Electronics PW-E550 Electronic Dictionary, but both products are comparable. The Franklin LM6000b has an English dictionary with 130,000 words, 300,000 definitions, 500,000 thesaurus entries, and a grammar guide. The Sharp Electronics PW-E550 contains more than 250,000 definitions and more than 9,000 biographical and geographical entries from The New Oxford American Dictionary. Oxford American Thesaurus of Current English has 15,000 main entries keyed to more than 350,000 synonyms.

Never had any issues with the device, so I won't comment on customer service.

As for portability, I wouldn't recommend stuffing this device into your pocket--not unless you have very, very baggy pants. But don't let its size deter you. Competitively speaking, this product is by far the most well-rounded e-dictionary. It offers both a comprehensive database of definitions and a stellar phonic feature. I am satisfied.

** For those who would like to see a video demonstration of this product, you can search for it on You Tube.
on March 8, 2007
the Franklin lmb6000b speaking language master, is a great tool for students, its easy to navigate,and responses are clear, the thesaurus is

terrfic easy to read and understand. I am a tutor for an adult learner program, my students benefit greatly from this tool.

It's compact and it weighs less than a dictionary, fits nicely into small spaces and the price is right, at amazon.
on February 18, 2010
It is a quite good machine. However it does not speak English clearly or nicely to your ears. Anyway, I still like it.
on March 7, 2014
I chose this device because I used to own one but it did not speak. Also the price compaired to radio shack was a big factor, It was about one third of the cost. I would recommend this item to everyone and amazon as well. Thanks for a job well done!
on August 8, 2012
Even though it is bulky, this electronic dictionary's pronunciation is almost 100% accurate regardless of its slightly British accent. It is faster than newer models and its repertoire is broader. I owned one for almost twenty years until got stolen. That's why I know that the newer model are not good as this one because I tried to substitute my old Franklin LM600b Speaking Language Master with newer models, but none of them convince me to be my precise tool when speaking and writing are the subject matters.