Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 61 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 85 reviews
on March 1, 2012
After five months, I can attest to the Franklin LM6000b's exceptional quality. I bought this device because I needed an electronic dictionary with text-to-speech (i.e., capable of reading words and definitions aloud). Compared to other products on the market with a similar feature, Franklin surpassed them all.

In many ways, the Franklin does "enhance people's self-confidence." Both native speakers and ESL learners can benefit from it. Many of my ESL students use it to familiarize themselves with spoken and written forms of the English language. It has a convenient Phonics button that enables them to hear each sound in a word, which I sometimes use to refine my own pronunciation. When one can't spell a specific word, it'll provide a list of possible matches. As an added bonus, people with weak eyesight can manually adjust the display to read definitions (i.e., adjust font size and screen contrast).

There is one downside to this product's efficacy, though. Some people disdain the "slowness" of its searches, but the one-to-two-second delays don't vex me.

Admittedly, the Franklin's database may not be as extensive or as glorified as the Sharp Electronics PW-E550 Electronic Dictionary, but both products are comparable. The Franklin LM6000b has an English dictionary with 130,000 words, 300,000 definitions, 500,000 thesaurus entries, and a grammar guide. The Sharp Electronics PW-E550 contains more than 250,000 definitions and more than 9,000 biographical and geographical entries from The New Oxford American Dictionary. Oxford American Thesaurus of Current English has 15,000 main entries keyed to more than 350,000 synonyms.

Never had any issues with the device, so I won't comment on customer service.

As for portability, I wouldn't recommend stuffing this device into your pocket--not unless you have very, very baggy pants. But don't let its size deter you. Competitively speaking, this product is by far the most well-rounded e-dictionary. It offers both a comprehensive database of definitions and a stellar phonic feature. I am satisfied.

** For those who would like to see a video demonstration of this product, you can search for it on You Tube.
on August 7, 2009
My wife and I purchased this unit to help our 9 year old son understand words that are difficult when he reads. We wanted something simple and handy (so we chose this over a computer program). We are pleased with it, and a few lines are below.

1. The device has enough words to correct spelling in a meaningful way (fewer words devices can't really do it). Also, it has enough vocabulary for a 9 year old.

2. It speaks relatively clearly (robot accent better than my Romanian accent).

3. It looks like a calculator with computer-like keyboard. Strangely, this is very appealing to our kid and makes him *want* to use the device. This came unexpected, as my wife and I thought the device to be ugly!

4. It has a thesaurus that I personally find useful while writing (although I have no excuse to use it as my editors have thesaurus incorporated ...)

5. The device "watches its language", i.e., it has some adult filters and it won;t be pushed to recite trivial bad words which usually make the kids laugh.

We recommend it wholeheartedly.
on May 15, 2017
Very pleased with our purchase.
on June 13, 2017
If you have trouble spelling, looking for the right word or just need to hear it, get this for yourself! Have owned three of them and would not live without one!!
on February 8, 2017
I LOVE THIS INSTRUMENT BECAUSE IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT AND USER FRIENDLY.
on August 8, 2012
Even though it is bulky, this electronic dictionary's pronunciation is almost 100% accurate regardless of its slightly British accent. It is faster than newer models and its repertoire is broader. I owned one for almost twenty years until got stolen. That's why I know that the newer model are not good as this one because I tried to substitute my old Franklin LM600b Speaking Language Master with newer models, but none of them convince me to be my precise tool when speaking and writing are the subject matters.
on January 18, 2017
It has came in good condition. I'm fully satisfied
on September 14, 2011
I initiated use of this product in the resource room program at the middle school I use to work in. My learning disabled students eagerly used the machine with their reading/writing assignments. When finished with an exam they loved to put on headphones and play with the language games. My 10 year old son is speech/language impaired and I just bought this new edition for him. Currently he is learning how to use it and I find he seeks it out. The "speaking function," is an incredible help. I know this will be a great HW tool for him during middle and high school.
on February 18, 2014
This is a great aid for my younger brother who has down syndrome.....he likes to look at the newspaper every day and would always ask about words......about 20 years ago my parents got him the model before this one.....so it was only good for ONE word at a time......this one, he can type in full sentences. This is a very useful item for people like this or younger children.....great invention !
on June 30, 2012
My handicapped son uses this and has gone through three of them for a total of probably $500.00. He is extremely hard on them and drops them all the time. An IPad might last him a week or two and these three have lasted decades. They are tough. He has a hard time speaking and will type in the sentence and then hit say. It can get a little irritating when he keeps hitting the say button, "Can I go dad. Can I go dad. Can I go dad. Can I go dad." It really helps those who don't understand sign language.