Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,194 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,678 reviews
on July 15, 2016
My husband and I watched this with my 2 year old nephew. I think we were more into than he was. He was rocking to the music. The menu for the video is a bit cumbersome. We did not try the 2nd DVD to see if it was better. Despite this, every home with children should have this DVD. After over 30 years my husband and I still remembered a lot of the songs. I remember being in Junior High (Middle school) and having to recite the preamble. Most of my class sang it. Thanks to school house rock, we all got an A. Most children can remember lyrics to a song. This is an excellent tool for all children.
on July 21, 2015
It was on my birthday in 2002, August 27th, that SchoolHouse Rock finally came to DVD, as a then-complete series 2-disc set! (An all-new category, Earth Rock, or SchoolHouse Rock Earth, wasn't released until 2009.) All the songs in America Rock, Science Rock, Grammar Rock, Multiplication Rock, and Money Rock, can really come in handy for the most stubborn kids you know, the most ignorant full-grown daredevils or peabrains making webvideos of themselves that go as far as national TV on TruTV, and even Congress today, since Democrats and Republicans don't get along very often anymore, as the national news tells us anymore. The Emmy-Award-winning short series on ABC that taught us all Knowledge is Power, is all here in this 2-disc set; 5 videos on 1 DVD and then some, plus a lot of bonuses on the 2nd disc, including a then-new song about the Electoral College, short commentaries by the creators, 2 fun-filled games with one of them having a then-hard-to-access song, Presidential Minute, as a reward, 3 of the 4 songs for Computer Rock, aka Scooter Computer and Mr. Chips (the first song got lost from ABC's archives somehow, but can now be seen on YouTube), the long-lost Science Rock song, The Weather Show (aka The Greatest Show on Earth, this original title got them in a lawsuit with the Ringling Bros./Barnum & Bailey Circus, causing this song to not be on home video in the 1990's), and a lot more! You can't go wrong with this all-in-one set, especially at home. All 6 separate categories, including Earth Rock, are also sold for classrooms at much higher prices! To quote SchoolHouse Rocky, "Knowledge is Power!", and it's a lot more so today, with the unofficial Confederate flag in boiling water all over our country, and YouTube & national TV being loaded with video clips of dummies doing all sorts of crazy things, including a married lady who can't do simple math about Miles Per Hour right, seen on TruTV at least once. No matter how old you are, you can always learn something from SchoolHouse Rock, or any other toons you grew up with!
on February 5, 2012
Criticisms of this program today reflect the many changes in our society but the project exemplifies a great creative work motivated by a sincere objective presented in a positive spirit. Only a few of these videos, such as The Checks in the Mail, may soon altogether lose their frame of reference, but the majority remain relevant and should remain relevant for many a decade more. Some of the images could be considered to portray negative stereotypes but the overwhelming spirit of this work is positive and encourages good discussions among children, parents and teachers. Some of the Christian and Islamic references (gospel music, Noah's ark, polygamy, etc.) may seem more sensitive topics by today's standards, but the overall impression is one of acceptance, family values and individual self-esteem.

I admit nostalgia in purchasing these videos as much as a desire to teach my children, still, these decades' old cartoon music videos remain effect tools in teaching simple but important concepts. There are elementary lessons in grammar, multiplication, American independence and expansion, health and hygiene, basic government and money management, civil rights, etc. put to many musical styles such as soul, gospel, jazz, blues, folk, etc. The lyrics are clever, original and memorable, the music catchy and the messages are on-point. This is superior craftsmanship that is much more than retuning nursery rhymes. Best of all is that the CHILDREN `get it'!

This collection contains two DVD's. The first contains reproductions of all the original music videos for all the original categories but with limited interaction and lesson. The second disk provides interactive activities. Some mouse functionality/interactivity failed after a short while requiring tab/enter to run programs. This is a failure of the disk programming functions but otherwise this is a solid product from Disney. And if not for the disk functionality issues and some consideration of content, this is a 5 star product and admittedly a rating of loving nostalgia as much as appreciation for the clever works of music and video.
on October 24, 2007
I learned the preamble to the Constitution by singing along with Schoolhouse Rock on Saturday morning television. I also learned things like conjunctions and how a bill becomes a law, and a lot of other things about grammar, science, math, American history, and politics. Now that means that either I watched too much TV as a kid, or the stuff we watched as kids was really informative and was made so well that it becomes a classic.

Schoolhouse Rock is just such a program. It was delivered to kids in bite-sized portions that held their attention spans just long enough to get the message across, and the cartoons were so engaging that they probably could have made the segments last twice as long and we still would have been glued to them. Many in my generation learned quite a bit from Schoolhouse Rock.

This DVD is produced in the same style as all the original segments, offering a "jukebox" feel along with some novel technology that allows you to create playlists of your favorite episodes, or put them on "shuffle" and let it pick them randomly. You can also choose "The Whole Enchilada," and let it play each and every segment in order.

All of the original segments are on this DVD, as well as a heretofore unreleased segment called "I'm Gonna Send Your Vote To College" which teaches about the electoral system and the punned Electoral College.

My kids absolutely love this DVD, although sometimes they have to pry the remote out of my hands. It's awesome to see them watch (and actually learn) with the same attention that I paid to it as a kid their age.

And on occasion, I hear one of them singing the preamble to the Constitution, and I just smile, because a timeless program like Schoolhouse Rock can, and will, continue to teach kids for generations to come.
on August 22, 2016
Excellent videos. Reminds me of old times when cartoons taught you something valuable. I used this to teach 6th and 7th grade history and the kids love the videos and songs...especially "Bill!"
on November 28, 2016
I loved Schoolhouse Rock as a kid. It helped me learn my multiplication tables and even the preamble to the constitution for a high school History class. I purchased this for my 9 year old twins and they think it is awesome. I wondered if it would be too old or dorky for them, but they love it! We play it in the car and it is a great way to learn on the way to our destination. I also have a 4 year old who digs it as well. Apparently Schoolhouse Rock is still fun for all ages!
The only trouble we have had is that the menu and playlists are a little bit confusing, particularly in our car DVD player. It doesn't take much away from the experience, it just took us a little while to figure out.
on April 2, 2016
I grew up on Schoolhouse Rock and was excited to purchase this set. I do have to admit it is slightly outdated but my younger children did seem to enjoy it. I was singing along with all the original songs. It is a great resource for teaching educational material. It has a nice booklet included and you are able to easily find material for the subject you are looking for.
on January 14, 2015
Many of us over 30 may remember most of the gems on this DVD, and it is wonderful being able to share these with my kids. I remember these being shown in between Saturday morning cartoons along with some of the other PSA's and sing-a-long commercials such as "The Chopper" and the "Hunk of Cheese" character. I would have given this ond 4 stars. However, I just couldnt because of the sound quality of the DVD. I thought perhaps they's been able to remaster the audio at least close to its original clarity. But most of the songs havd very low sound, and somewhat muffled. Its still cool to have in the collection though.
on January 25, 2017
Us generation X folks were raised on these. Who can forget Saturday mornings and the little School House Rock intros into politics, laws, etc. Considering that last year was an election year, and my 9 year old was expressing some serious interest, opinions, and questioning a lot of things, I thought now was the perfect time for him to be introduced. And boy did he love it :)

If you haven't watched these, or have young ones who are curious, this is a must have. Caught myself singing to every one and watched my son out of the corner of my eye looking at me like "huh?" and then smiling when he started singing along as well.
on May 11, 2017
I bought these for my grandchildren since I found them fun and educational as a child. It's amazing how quickly my 2 year old grandson is learning! This is a great supplement to formal education and an investment into young learners.