Your Garage Best kids' books of February Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Beauty & Grooming Shop Popular Services ManchesterByTheSea ManchesterByTheSea ManchesterByTheSea  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis LaLa GNO Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Style Name: Ballpoint Pen and Pencil Set|Color: 10KT Gold Filled|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,233 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,388 reviews
on March 22, 2007
Just received my pen today. Feels cheap compared to one I got 12 years ago. Feels a little gritty when you twist it. Not smooth and well machined like my old one.
I won't be buying one again. Crossing "CROSS" off my list.

Update. The Pen got much smoother after about a month and I have been using it for a couple of years now.
I gave it two more stars that did at first.
Guess the finishing is not as good as it once was but did get smoother over time.
11 comment| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2011
I tried to like it, I really did. I thought other reviews were exaggerated because the pens aren't manufactured in the US anymore. But as soon as I held the pens in my hand they felt like plastic! The quality is not there anymore (I guess it's been this way from the time they started manufacturing the pens in china!
The pens don't have the same sturdiness and feel like they used to. The weight they used to have is also not there anymore. Cross should be ashamed. This isn't an American product anymore but a low quality cheap Chinese one. Congratulations Cross.
on November 10, 2010
The manufacturer is distributing a different pen/pencil set than the one illustrated and described. Cosmetically the pens are a flat black -- could be mistaken for grey; but more importantly the "pencil" is not the typical cross .05mm pencil. It is a pen/pencil combo -- you can put either an ink cartridge in it (for 2 pens, who knows why) or a special .07mm lead cartridge -- not individual leads, but a self contained cartridge physically similar to an ink cartrdige -- to use it as a pencil. Of course, you can't tell them apart when you pull one out of your pocket. One has to twist it and see what comes out - the pen or the pencil (or other pen if you go that way).

This happened to me at another large retailer (large web, lots of physical stores) so it looks like Cross is doing a number on people. Major, major disappointment.

Good luck!
on January 9, 2007
I'm not sure if I just received a defective pen or what happened. My general experience with Cross pens has been very positive. This one, however, is awful. It doesn't write smootly and leaves ink everywhere.
33 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2012
The Classic Centry set in this advertisement is not as represented. Specifically, the pencil is not the 5mm mechanical pencil as shown, but some odd sort of 7mm thing called "SwitchpIt", which allows a pen to be coverted to a pencil. When I received it I assumed that the set was mis-packaged.

Gross misrepresentation. Do not buy this unless you really want a pencil that looks like a pen with a previously unknown sort of inserts. Oh, and try buying erasers......
on April 21, 2008
I had a Cross Classic Century 14K set for years. Due to my total carelessness, I lost them recently. I thought at least I can replace them by ordering a new set. I was wrong. The item I received today was a big disappointment. First, the color wasn't rose gold. It was rather plain yellow gold. Second, it felt so much lighter than the same pen/pencil I used to have. There was no nice heavy feel to it. Then I realize the 'USA' engraving was missing on top. I flipped the box to find 'Made in China'. I was so disgusted I didn't want the set any more. I called Cross to ask if they have anything made in USA. The lady said no... Now all Cross pens are made in China. I'm so saddened that I can never get replace my pens. You can clearly see and feel the quality is not there.
66 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2009
I have owned an A.T. Cross set since 1966 and it has served wonderfully. I had a small problem with the old style pencil works a couple decades ago, but Cross honored their lifetime warranty and replaced the thick-lead innards with the new style 0.5 mm works. BTW, Amazon incorrectly says the pencil uses .05 mm leads; it actually uses 0.5 mm.

I would have awarded a perfect 5 stars except that A.T. Cross has sent their manufacturing (at least part of it) to China. This icon of American quality should stay here. I for one would have paid more for the set. When I buy Cross, it is for special gifts and the "Made in China" label diminishes the image of the gift regardless of whether or not the quality and guarantee are as good as ever.
on February 3, 2016
I ordered this as a Christmas gift for my father. It seemed nice enough when it came in, packaging, etc.. Just yesterday 2/2 my father called me to let me know that the pen had fallen apart. I looked at it to see if I could fix it and it appears as though the inside of the pen had actually fallen out. I went to the Cross website to send it back for repair (they offer a lifetime warranty) and they wanted a $10 processing fee just to send it back. What a joke! The pen lasted 2 months.
on May 10, 2008
Some of the other reviewers said it best: This is not the Pen it was. Cross, in financial turmoil, moved manufacturing to China, and this Chinese made version is lighter, and feels significantly cheaper, than the American one.

I returned mine and bought a vintage Cross on eBay.
on October 25, 2016
I had one of these for a long time and it was of better quality. I have two main issues with this pen. One being that it is not as heavy as the previous Cross pen I had. If you are expecting to feel that nice solid weight in your writing hand this is not the pen for you. My second complaint is that I feel that this pen is not of the same craftsmanship as my previous Cross Classic Century pen. The twist mechanism is not not tight enough. What I mean by that is the bottom half of the pen wiggles when you turn it. In my experience Cross Pens are usually solid. Paying 20$ for a pen I expected a more sturdy product. I wish I would have read some of the recent reviews because they all pretty much state the same thing. Not the quality you expect for Cross. Two stars because I don't hate it but I definitely don't like it.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.