Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services branding branding branding  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 8,095 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 11,774 reviews
on October 17, 2003
Firefly was a show that came on the heels of Fox's usual brilliant decision-making--right after it cancelled my beloved Dark Angel. I first thought this show would be awful, but I sat down and watched it--and it was love. Truly. It's rare to find a show that can be taken seriously that also made me laugh out loud in every episode. The writing was extraordinary, and the actors/actresses were absolute gold. It was really like watching a movie each time around. Yet again, Fox shot itself in the foot and iced another good show. Nonetheless, at least the DVD is soon to come. At least they had the decency to do that. Come on, sing it with me: "Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand. But I don't care--I'm still free. You can't take the skies from me..."
1212 comments| 1,602 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2016
Joss Whedon who created this series planned for it to run for seven seasons and instead it only produced 14 and aired 11 before it was canceled (purportedly after the first episode was shown). When Fox ran “Firefly” in 2002/2003 I never heard of it, of course I was busy deploying to Iraq and elsewhere due to this little thing called the Global War on Terrorism (Mal and Zoe would understand). I did see the sequel movie “Serenity” on DVD years later but not having seen the series and lacking that context it didn’t do much for me at the time. Discovering “Firefly” now for the first time all I can say is count me among the “Browncoat” faithful. How did this show not get picked up and run for Whedon’s seven seasons as planned? Given the crud on television today it’s incredible; shows like “NCIS Los Angeles” just keep serving up the same stuff every week and get renewed season after tedious season. Full disclosure; I am not a hard-core Sci-Fi geek. Star Trek TOS, yes, but all the other incarnations of Trek (except JJ Abrams latest films) not so much; original three Star Wars films, yes, the others by Lucas, no way. Nor am I a Whedon disciple, never watched “Buffy” or “Angel” or any of his other TV outings but must say that “Firefly” is brilliant. Maybe if it was called “Young Han Solo” (which is what it’s like in some respects) it may have done better.

The series works on many levels; as a character study it excels. Our nine space travelers all have interesting stories and the charismatic cast gets the viewers buy-in almost from the first episode. Thirteen years later you’ve seen many of these actors in different shows. Nathan Fillion (“Castle”) as Capt Malcolm Reynolds is great as the former rebellion fighter who buys a decrepit cargo ship and travels space moving legal and illegal goods to the outer colonies. As he says “I may have fought on the losing side, but I’m not sure it was the wrong side.” Now there’s an Alliance governing the planets that’s not quite as malevolent as The Empire in Star Wars but you get the idea. Rounding out the crew: Gina Torres (too many shows to mention) is his number one, Zoe, a former corporal he’s fought with she’s his trusted right arm. Alan Tudyk (“Dodgeball”) is “Wash” the ship’s pilot and husband of Zoe and a frequent source of comic relief. Adam Baldwin (“Chuck”, “The Last Ship”) is amusing as mercenary Jayne Cobb. He’s the muscle for the crew but motivated primarily by money and frequently one step away from mutiny. Morena Baccarin (“Homeland”, “V”, “Deadpool”) plays Inara, a beautiful so-called companion (prostitute) where in the future the world’s oldest profession is held in high esteem. She rents one of the ship’s shuttles and plys her trade from the Serenity. Jewel Taite (Stargate, Atlantis) is the ship’s mechanic Kaylee Frye. She’s a girly-girl next door type who spreads her sunny optimism throughout the ship. If she sounds annoying, she’s not and you’ll want to give her a hug. Ron Glass (Barney Miller) is Shepherd Book a preacher with a mysterious past who signs on for transport and decides to stay with the crew. Sean Maher is Dr. Simon Tam who books passage on his ship with “cargo”. That cargo turns out to be his sister he’s rescued from the evil Alliance and their sinister experiments. River Tam is played by Sci-Fi star Summer Glau, she’s suffering the effects of the treatment she’s received by the Alliance and at first she’s withdrawn and barely communicative. As the season progresses she begins to stabilize and more is revealed about her and certain “abilities” she’s developed as a result of what’s happened to her. She and her brother have a bounty on their heads and are being pursued by the Alliance who desperately want her back. Well drawn, likeable characters that the audience can identify with well portrayed by superb actors make this world a place you’ll want to visit.

Kudos to the set designer in regards to the spaceship Firefly’s interior spaces. Having traveled on a number of military transports the Serenity’s insides look pretty legit to me. Like the rest of the show there’s nothing fancy, just a utilitarian vessel to haul goods and crew making it easy to believe in.

The space-western concept apparently was too much for the network execs to grasp but I thought it was fun. The clothing and speech of these space travelers is right off the set of “Bonanza” for the most part. Less engaging is the constant insertion of Mandarin Chinese colloquialisms, profanity, and slang in the dialog (without subtitles). In Whedon’s future world America and China are the only surviving superpowers so there’s a strong Asian influence throughout the show. Happily, Wikipedia has a page of “Firefly” script excerpts and translations of a number of the Chinese phrases that’s a helpful resource for the more interested viewer.

The stories are well done and the show has a great sense of humor with many one liners that had me chuckling. Of the 14 episodes there isn’t a bad one in the bunch. My two favorites are “Our Mrs. Reynolds” and “Jaynestown”. In the former Mal winds up allegedly married after a drunken party to none other than Christina Hendricks before “Mad Men” fame. Her character of Saffron is terrific and Mal’s discomfiture as well as the amusement of the crew was a laugh. Saffron also appears in a later episode too and is no less a delight. In “Jaynestown” the crew revisit a planet where Cobb got himself into a bit of trouble but on returning discovers he’s a hero to the locals. When the guy in the bar sings the ballad about Cobb it’s a laugh out loud moment.

When you reach the conclusion of the final episode, “Objects in Space” you’ll be left with an empty feeling knowing that there isn’t any more to watch (other than the 2005 movie “Serenity”). That this fine series never got a fighting chance is a real tragedy.
on July 23, 2003
Fox has had its share of failed shows in the past years. This is to say nothing of their chronic ability to underadvertise and pre-empt their best programming in lieu of sporting events and mindless programming.
How Joss Whedon's Firefly managed to get a prime-time Friday night slot on Fox is beyond me. It was smartly written, well directed, extremely well cast and for its short-run had enough sub plots to keep you watching week after week. Firefly is, hands down, one of the best shows that Fox has ever aired. Why they relentlessly under-promoted this well-viewed show may never be known.
It is my sincere hope that now that Buffy is gone, Whedon manages to find another network that will pick up Firefly. It is too good to die.
0Comment| 181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 14, 2004
...1 - This may well be the best sci-fi show ever. My wife and I tried to watch it during its initial broadcast airing. It seems like Fox set this up to fail with it irregular airings, episodes out of order and the now infamous, let's not show the pilot that sets up the series until the very last episode. This show deserved so much better than the treatment it received.

2 - Could this have been Joss Whedon's best show? The characters were well written, the plots were well thought out, the actors could not have clicked together any better. The CGI effects were awesome (I still get goosebumps watching the "Serenity" flying through the atmosphere.)

3 - Joss Whedon's commentaries are among the best on DVD. Along with Mr. Whedon, four of the nine actors throw their two cents in and make for entertaining listening.

4 - Watching the episodes in order, the way they were meant to be in widescreen and with the bonus of unaired episodes at a very fair price makes for an excellent addition for your collection.

5 - The only downer was watching the final disc and getting down to the final two episodes. We knew this was going to be it. No new episodes (for now, one can hope, can't they?), some unanswered questions about the crew and passengers (hopefully they will be answered in "Serenity" the big screen film in 2005).

Finally, there is a hidden easter egg in this release. Insert the fourth disc of the set, at the Main Menu go to "Special Features". On the second screen, highlight "Joss Whedon sings the "Firefly" theme", then press the left arrow key on your remote control. This will highlight an ornament in the background, press "Enter" and you will get to see Adam Baldwin singing "The Hero of Canton."

TOP 50 REVIEWERon October 12, 2014
Just started watching this beloved series on my new Blu-Ray player, and man... bang-on! I had originally watched this series (multiple times) on Netflix, and when I saw this available, having just upgraded to a new HDTV and Blu-Ray player, I had to have!

Now if you happen to be reading this, and you are still dithering about purchasing... stop dithering, and purchase!

Those who like the COWBOY BEEPOP anime series (my mother did, and she loved FIREFLY too)...

Those who want to watch some of the VERY BEST commercial television produced to date...

Those who appreciate strong artistic elements, from settings to performances, that add layers upon layers of depth...

Those who have only watched it via Media Streaming (the added documentaries and commentaries are alone worth it)...

General Sci Fi lovers... Dr. Who lovers (old and new)... yes and yes.

Just to add my minor bit about a particular production value that continues to capture me every single time I watch this series: the constant background visual eye-candy and artistic flairs. If you just ignore the main characters and examine all the little setting touches and cast extras going about their lives, you will find entertainment in itself. That alone makes this serial a wonderful watch.

And the Blu-Ray features adds to the extra-extra goodness.
on November 13, 2008
Only caught the series AFTER it was canceled, and have become a browncoat, to the point that, yes, I actually do wear a brown coat I bought when Serenity came out. It's a series worth checking out. The chances you'll become that much of a nerd are very low, so don't be afraid. :)

Picture quality is high compared to the original DVDs, detailed and clearer, though since the series is fairly dark at points, there's some definite noise (looks like film grain, actually) in the black backgrounds (at least on my set, a Mitsubishi). Despite initial rumors, special effects sequences remain at 480i (upconverted) instead of being re-rendered to 1080p. That's occasionally annoying if you're looking for it, but otherwise not. Sound is greatly improved.

As others have pointed out, the set is shy on new extras, which is too bad. Enjoyed the extra commentary and the partial reunion, would have appreciated more.

Packaging seems decent for a blu-ray multipack. One review complains about the packaging, but I found it efficient and not problematic (case opens with one middle piece. Middle piece has a disc on each side, third disc is on the back of the open case. I've seen worse: some mass-DVD multipacks with two dvds overlapping each other so you have to remove one to get at the other...)

Worth the money if you have a good HD set. If you're not sure, rent the first episodes from Netflix or Blockbuster.
44 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
"Firefly" is exactly the kind of science-fiction series that you'd expect Joss Whedon to make -- a sort of reverse "Star Trek" with a wild, untidy cast of characters.

And it's not hard to see why it developed such a fanatical fanbase, even though it lasted a measly fourteen episodes -- magnificent writing ("... if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."), well-developed characters, and a somewhat more realistic approach to a sci-fi western. It's a shame that the series never got to unfold to its full potential.

It takes place about five centuries from now, far from "Earth that was." Many planets are ruled by the Alliance, an authoritative military/corporate government that forces various planets into a unified force, which some planets are not terribly crazy about. And in "the black" of interstellar space, there are cannibalistic savage Reavers.

The story takes place on the spaceship Firefly, whose crew mostly make a living out of smuggling and/or carrying cargo. They're a motley bunch -- including the captain "Mal" and first mate Zoe, who are war veterans (Nathan Fillion and Gina Torres), courtesan-like "Companion" Inara (Morena Baccarin), goofy pilot Wash (Alan Tudyk), a menacing mercenary Jayne (Adam Baldwin), mysterious priest Book (Ron Glass), fugitive doctor Simon Tam (Sean Maher) and his possibly-insane sister River (Summer Glau).

This odd band of people roams through various worlds, which have a sort of Wild-West-by-way-of-space-opera atmosphere. They must deal with crimelords, the Reavers, duels, kidnappings, a devious woman who claims to be married to Mal, Jayne's folk legend status, and the Alliance itself -- who have a mysterious and sinister interest in the Tam siblings.

As much as I love some Star Trek series (specifically the original and "Deep Space Nine"), they rarely show people who fall outside the Federation and its rather smug authoritarian approach. "Firefly" is the exact opposite -- their enemies are the domineering alliance of planets who think everyone should be like them, and the Firefly crew glory in living a life of freedom and unpredictable semi-criminality.

In the "Firefly" universe, technology hasn't changed who and what people are; people still grapple with the same ethical, moral, religious and political issues that we have now, and always have had. Cruelty and kindness exist in the same measure, and people still ultimately look out for themselves -- and nobody is perfect. Even their enemies have a shade of moral greyness.

And of course, Joss Whedon brings his usual flair to the story -- butt-kicking action scenes, grotesque horror, a hint of conspiracy, and bucketloads of quotable dialogue ("Yeah, we should start dealing in those black-market beagles") that ranges from the rough'n'ready Wild West lingo to the hilarious ("Baby geese. Goslings. They were juggled").

The characters are a motley family of sorts -- they don't always agree or even necessarily like each other, but they are (mostly) unified. Their colorful different jobs (ritualized sex worker, ex-soldiers, merc, doctor, priest) allow them to have even more varied backstories. All the actors do excellent jobs -- Nathan Fillion, Morena Baccarin, Alan Tudyk and Sean Maher all give particularly good performances. The most exceptional is Glau's River, a damaged young woman who says mad things about cows and wears pretty floaty dresses.

"Firefly: The Complete Series" is a slice of rich, witty sci-fi that sadly had only a brief moment in the sun. In a fairer world, this would have gone on for years while tedious reality shows crashed and burned.
on September 7, 2016
I am so disappointed that this was only a few episodes and 1 season b/c it was executed very well. I actually didn't start watching this series or even knew about before I watched the movie, which was very good by the way and actually, you should watch the movie first and what.....the Knight's Tale guy is in there too, another one of my favorites by the way.

I didn't think I'll like it since Buffy and Angel didn't really do it for me after maybe the first few seasons; I watched them, but I wasn't hooked. I would have to say that the style of humor in Firefly, same as what you'll get with Joss's stuff, is my favorite kind; the humor is actually what lured me in, but everything else which is mainly the storyline made me hooked, also, it doesn't hurt to have really pretty girls in it too.
on September 2, 2009
A few years ago I was bored and browsing Amazon's top 25 DVD list for something new to watch and Firefly caught my eye. At that time it already had thousands of 5 star reviews to its name and I'd never even heard of the series! Being a Science Fiction and Fantasy fan, I promptly ordered it because if I hated it I could obviously get rid of it pretty easily. Since then, I've re-sold or traded the vast majority of the DVDs that I've purchased over the years but Firefly (and its full length companion film "Serenity") still occupies a permanent place in my private collection. What's more, I've actually watched the entire series (as well as the film) at least 3 times in its entirety. That's a first!

Seems that I wasn't the only person who missed this fabulous series when it was part of the Fox lineup. Created by Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) it enjoys an original premise, extremely smart writing and a cast of talented regulars with great chemistry. Given the boot after only 14 episodes (some of which were never aired as part of the original series) by some brainiac executive at Fox, it lives on in perpetuity as a cult classic. SciFi channel (now SyFy or some such nonsense)often airs the series as a special weekend marathon.

Give it a whirl. You may find yourself wearing a Brown Coat like the rest of us!
on August 11, 2005
Hearing how fans were fairly rabid about this series, I decided to pick it up based on all the raves. I finished watching all the episodes and Special Features from the DVDs last night. All i have to say is wow...I mean seriously, wow. I thought after watching Battlestar Galactica that nobody could ever make a compelling lifelike show with a space theme in it.

Firefly definately lives up to the hype. Once i started with the first episode Serenity, also the name of the upcoming movie in September of this year, I was hooked. To sum it up the series background is a twist of western and space. Sounds corny? It's not. To make a better analogy in my mind is that the Human race is heavily colonizing planets and thusly has a "Go West young man" feel.

As Joss Whedon summarized in the Special Features "It's about throwing nine people into space on their own and getting nine different perspectives of what that would be like". The background of the world is never overwhelming in the sense this series is first and foremost about the characters. It gets to the point where you don't care about the cool space stuff or planets, but what is going to happen to each person next. What can I say about the cast...amazing casting. Each person is just perfect for the role. I won't really say too much about the characters other than they are all very well-tailored and unique and throughout the 14 episodes you get on this DVD collection you will see each one fleshed out well and clammering for more. If you aren't convinced about the reviews here you can catch it on Sci-Fi channel at 7pm EST. Sci-Fi is rebroadcasting the series mostly in part due to the upcoming Serenity release.

It is truly a shame this series ended so soon. It had all the qualities of a great TV series. Possibly with the introduction to Serenity in theatres it will be reborn back into our living rooms.