Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 925 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 958 reviews
on January 29, 2009
For years I've used an electric knife to slice turkey, roasts, ham, etc. No matter how well I sharpen a carving or chef's knife, I've been unable to avoid sawing back and forth to complete a cut, or worse, having the meat just tear apart as I cut. And thin, deli-style slices are just a dream, even with a sharp electric knife.

This slicer has cured all that. It's long enough to complete a breast cut on a 30-lb turkey in one stroke, and wide enough to make that stroke in a dead-straight line with little or no guidance from me. Thin ham slices for sandwiches are no problem at all. And it's sharp enough cut through the tenderest meat as if through warm butter. The small grooves on the blade seem to keep slices from sticking, making for an effortless cut.

I bought this knife on the basis of a review in Cook's Illustrated. You can spend more, or less, but I don't think you can buy a better slicer.
33 comments| 238 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2015
Great slicer. Saw this reviewed on America's Test Kitchen and am glad I went with the recommendation. I like to barbecue and one of the things I like to smoke the most is brisket. You must have a sharp knife when slicing brisket, otherwise you'll end up ripping off that nice bark. This does the job and then some. It is extremely sharp out of the box. It is not heavy and feels very comfortable in your hands. The handle is textured and won't slip. There's no doubt you can easily spend at least a hundred bucks with other well known brands. I would suggest you get this one instead - great value and great quality for a fraction of the price!
on July 8, 2016
I bought this about about 6 months ago to slice my briskets. It's razor sharp and when used properly can cut a brisket to look like you used a mechanical meat slicer. Love it. Be careful because the rounded front end is also razor sharp:)
review image
on January 11, 2016
Ok, so I have to say that I was skeptical about getting this knife. I watched a ton of videos on slicing a ribeye roast into steaks....as that was the plan for getting such a long knife. I researched and researched...going from shun to many other japanese knifes, however...I couldn't pull the trigger on the price of those knifes. Finally I found a few reviews of the victorinox and went with this one. Open recieving it, I was very very careful at opening it as I didn't want to loose a finger. The knife comes in a plastic box which has to be cut open. Finally having the knife in my hands (and all 10 fingers still attached), I get to look at this masterpiece. It's definitely not an artistic statement as some of the Shun's...but it is quite comfortable. The handle is made out of some sort of non slip material that feels real good in the hands. The blade is very shiny and thin...and VERY VERY sharp. The balance is good as well. We hurriedly went out and got a ribeye roast (15 lbs). I put it on the cutting board and made my first cut. The knife when all the way though the roast in one slice...like a warm knife thru butter. AWESOME knife....can't find any negatives other than it slices thru the cleaning pad we used to clean it with... :)
on March 31, 2016
This has to be the absolute best slicing knife I have ever used, and I have tried quite a few over the years. It isn't overly heavy, the handle is just the right size and has a slightly rough texture for an easy grip, and it seems to hold an edge quite well. While slicing into a lamb rack I ended up cutting into some bone; no problem in damaging the knife as a quick pass over the steel immediately returned the knife's edge.

This is a long knife, and it may not fit in a standard knife block. The blade length is 11 3/4" long and the overall length, including the handle, is 17 3/8". The blade width is 1 1/2".

I was a little hesitant about spending the money but am glad I did. If you do a lot of slicing and are looking for a good quality knife this should definitely be considered.
on July 27, 2015
I've only had a chance to use it once since I bought it, but it performed great and I was able to cut my roast thinner than I could using my chefs knife. I realize that a chefs knife isn't intended for slicing roasts, but I'm a new cook and hadn't gotten around to splurging for a slicing knife yet so that's why the comparison between the two. The results with this slicing knife were really striking to me. The meat cut easier and it stayed together instead of it pulling apart into lots of pieces. I'm sure the more I use it the more proficient I'll become and I'll perfect the art of slicing my roasts in the very thin pieces I prefer with a little more practice. I've already recommended it my daughter as something she should consider getting herself (if she doesn't then I guess she'll be getting one for her birthday from her dear old Dad).
on June 5, 2017
Wonderful knife that cuts beautifully! I rely on the reviews from Cook's Illustrated and this knife has lived up to their expectations. I bought a second one as a gift for a friend who always remarks on mine when I carve a roast. Sharp and easy to use. I am glad I bought it overtime I get to use it. It is a very long knife so just make sure you have a big enough drawer to store it is. It is longer than any of my utensil sorters but I tuck it in the drawer on its own outside the divider.
on March 1, 2016
I own a number of Wusthof knives. They can't hold a candle to the sharpness of Victorinox. Used these when I worked in restaurants. Even if it's damaged, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to replace.
on April 20, 2017
This is an excellent knife. We've always thought about getting one and then saw on a TV show Cooks Country that two years in a row this knife was chosen as the top choice by their testers. We went ahead and purchased it and are so pleased with it. I used it to slice prime rib to order and also to split a whole loaf of Italian bread lengthy wise. It's sharp and easy to handle. Gear knife and great addition to the kitchen equipment suite
on May 26, 2014
I bought this a few months ago, and haven't had the opportunity to put it to good use-- until now. During the summer we like to grill tri-tip (triangular shaped cut of beef). Today was the day, to test this baby out. Well, once again, Cook's Illustrated's recommendation was spot on. It was such a delight to have that sawing motion while the blade sliced right through the beef, as though it was soft butter! I got even, thin slices, and I felt so accomplished! The prices is so reasonable. I just had to order a guard for it, though, because it's too large to store in my knife block. I don't want to store it into a drawer, until I protect the sharp edge from anyone reaching in and carving open their fingers. Oy. I plan to hone the knife before each use, and I do have a really good knife sharpener. I love this as much as the Victorinox boning knife. Great buy!