Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 42 reviews
on January 20, 2016
I am a Chinese, a Chinese vegi knife is all I need for all cutting tasks (except a heavy cleaver for chopping bones). I was looking for a replacement for the knife I bought 20 yrs ago in China. Shun is a great find.

- Shape: Shun is very similar to a typical knife used in China. It is a little larger, much thinner and lighter than my old one.
- Sharpness: It is EXTREMELY sharp. It is effortless to cut/slice vegis such as carrots and tomatoes. The edge is sharp from tip to the end. The entire length of the knife is useful.
- thinness: Shun does not recommend it for tough veggies like butternut squash. I don't use it to smash garlic like how I typically do. Instead, I press the knife with my palm to crush the garlic. It has worked out well.
- Cleaning: I follow the instruction: clean it with hot warm right away after use and dry it immediately. It is very easy.

Before I made the purchase, I debated between Shun and Wusthof vegi cleaver. I own several Wusthof knives, and like them. Which one is better depends on how you cut veggies:

- Japanese steel: harder, lighter and thinner, blade is 16 degree angle. Pros of Japanese steel: sharper, more precise cut; I have never given too much thought about precision before. However, once I have Shun, I find that I I am able to slice onions, cucumbers, etc in much thinner stripes. iI think that 16 degree angle definitely gives an edge to Shun over German knives if you care about precision. Con's: more brittle.
- Germany steel: softer, thicker and heavier, blade is 20-25 degree angle. Pro's of Germany knifes: take more abuse, less prone to chipping; has more steel to handle sharpening

I decide to give Shun a try because of its reputation. I am very happy with the knife, and enjoy using it everyday.
on January 22, 2014
Very happy with this knife. Use it many times (6-8 times) per week. Though I did take a moon shaped chip out of the cutting blade unexpectedly on a brussel sprout stalk. Luckily, the free sharpening component of their guarantee ground it out for me (via Kai), ... and let me know they would not replace the knife, which was snooty and not what I asked for when I sent it in. It's a good knife. I'll keep the one I have.

Bottom line is that this knife is, like the rest of the product line, definitely well above average and reliable. Keeps a sharp edge and will power through most cooking endeavors with ease.
on November 11, 2016
Very easy to cut thin slice as it is well balanced. The handle is rather small compared to other cleavers, thou. However, it's is very well made and perfect for preparation of vegetables and fruits
on January 19, 2017
I have used an inexpensive chinese cleaver for years. It was only $10.00 at Pier 1 when I bought it. I spent a lot of time on this decision because of the price. I have absolutely no regrets!!! I use this Shun cleaver nearly every day.If I could only have one kitchen knife this would be the one hands down. Dicing tomatoes without resharpening the blade; Thins slicing beef or chicken; onions to herbs this knife is wonderful. My trust Pier 1 cleaver now sits in the drawer after decades of faithful service.
on December 19, 2007
I have a Shun KenOnion style knife, but then I'm chinese and always wanted a asian style knife. The quality of Shun is good, but the price tag is really really out of reach.

At first site, the knife looks intimidating, it looks very big and heavy compared to the normal chef knives. Once you pick it up, you'll be amazed. The weight is perfectly balanced, and the wide edge makes picking up chopped veggies or meat a cinch. In fact, this one feels more ergonomic than the ergonomically designed Ken Onion Chef knife, hardly even use that one anymore since I got this.

You can slice, chop, dice with ease on this blade. Now I need to find a holder for this thing, it's too cool looking to go into a drawer. Wish for $180 it would come with a holder.
on April 6, 2013
Very nice knife. Before buying keep in mind this is not your typical cleaver even though it has the same silhouette. It's not for hacking through bones, even though you maybe able to get away with it.

At the risk of sounding like a late night promo, this thing slices & dices through vegetables like a machine. And the added ability to lay the blade flat and take the stuff you've cut up into your pans is nice.

It has become my favorite all purpose knife. As with most quality knives, don't put this one in the dishwasher.
on December 30, 2011
I purchased this knife earlier this year to add to my knives that i use for work. After using this knife daily for the past 4 months, i must say it is one of my go to knives. This along with my shun paring knife is pretty much all i use now. The blade is extremely sharp and it holds its edge very well, i do not cut bone with it for 2 reasons 1. its not intended for that use. (which i knew before buying) 2. i have a very old columbia cutlery meat cleaver that i use to break down chickens and or thick bones. i haven't had and problems with the blade edge chipping or with it getting dull, i do steel this knife along with all knifes before using. The price is fairly high but the quality is well worth it. i also own the shun paring knife, santoku, and the honing steel. and would recommend to anyone looking to purchase them.
on December 10, 2016
Great kitchen utensil and a "must have" for any serious chef!
on February 27, 2017
this knife is really amazing!!
on February 27, 2017