Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 26, 2012
I'm a point and shoot kind of guy, not a photography geek. My picture taking is mostly limited to family events and photos of pets. You should take that into consideration when evaluating this review.

The Coolpix 3200 I received was in like new condition and functioned flawlessly in my initial 8 hours of testing the unit. The camera came with no USB cable, manual, software or other accessories. I downloaded a manual for the camera from the Nikon website, but really didn't need much help from the documentation as the camera is very easy to use.

I purchased a SanDisk 2 GB SD Flash Memory Card SDSDB-002G-B35 along with the camera with no apparent compatibility issues. My kubuntu 12.04 Linux box w/internal memory card reader moved the pictures from the SD card to the hard drive and deleted them from the SD card. I'm confident that the Sandisk SDSDB-002G-A11 2gb card will also work with the 3200 as the card I purchased is the newer version this SD card. Note: the Coolpix display tells me it has room for 999 pictures.

The seller of the camera was SourceMedia (NorAm International Partners, Inc) fulfilled by Amazon. At this point I would certainly do business with these guys again. The SD card was purchased from Amazon.

I'll be using it a lot over the next month and will let you know if things go south. But at this point I'm pleased and confident in my purchase.
on June 29, 2004
I believe I know what happened on the other review where they said the batteries ran out fast. The batteries that come with the camera are the cheap ones, they lasted all of 4 hours while I got to know the menu system of my new Nikon. This actually made me quite concerned. However, I'd purchased the Nikon NiMH Rechargeable Batteries for CoolPix 3200 with my camera so I charged those up and loaded them. Then went to FL for a vacation. They lasted 3 days shooting 130+ pics (Normal setting), then 2 days taking pics driving home, then a few more days once home. I about fell over. Seems like standard AA's in the top 2 brands of batteries last about as long as well. I don't fully know however since these things (the Nikon NiMH Rechargeable) take forever to run out of juice, and once drained only take 2 to 3 hours to recharge and are ready to go for another 5+ days of shooting, for me anyway. As for the camera the micro pics are just unreal. Everyone I show these incredibly close up images to has the same look, the open mouth dumbfounded look. Normal images took a while to get right in various situations since you really need to choose the correct mode for the pic your taking. This camera is not for long range shots, obviously. If you wanted that you'd be looking at something with a larger lens. All around excellent camera !
The negatives I have are; On really small image subjects, such as something 1/2 an inch or less, the focal plane isn't very deep, so the front of the object may be blurry and the back is clear. Also on small objects like this the camera wants to focus on the background and has trouble seeing the subject of your picture at times (15% of the time). And usually its only on the super small objects that have similar color to the background (4 - 6 millimeters). However, when you get the 3200 to focus on these things the results are extraordinary. Many people are probably mocking me for having such small subjects and passing this off as irrelevant, however, try it. Take a 3200 and take a pic of a fly, or a flower that is 5 millimeters across. When you look at your image and see every hair on the fly, and pollen grains on the flower, and hairs on the stems, you'll be totally blown away. This camera is extraordinary, I'm thrilled I bought it.
Side notes:
I put a Panasonic 128 MB Secure Digital Memory Card in my 3200. For the Normal size pics, I can take 156 of them.
The camera comes with DVD that walks you through everything for setup.
The video you can shoot with the 3200 looks like the mildly jumpy 8mm old movies, but it's in color and I think it's fantastic, I mean, a movie with something that fits in the palm of your hand ?!?!? It's a blast !
When they say the screen is hard to see in direct sun they're right, then if you have polarized sunglasses as I do... yer really in trouble :)
The "weird background noise" in the movies is the Auto Focus clicking as it maintains the focus on the subject. I agree they need to fix this.
Great all around camera.
20 helpful votes
21 helpful votes
on June 5, 2004
After researching digital cameras for a month I finally decided on the Nikon CoolPix 3200. I'm astounded by its great picture quality and battery life. When I received my camera I was using it for two hours (taking pictures, fiddling with the settings, etc.) and the batteries held up. Two weeks later after some use, the batteries are still great! The picture quality is amazing for a digital camera! The image is sharp and the color is balanced.
Another great aspect of the camera is the ability to zoom in and out after the picture has taken. It's not grainy at all, in fact it was so good I was able to see the tiny writing on a poster almost 30 feet away after zooming up close!
The recycle time is good, under a second and the features are easy to use even if you don't read the manual.
If you're a novice at digital photography or even a professional this camera is for you!
28 helpful votes
29 helpful votes
on March 18, 2017
Looked good but would NOT function at all. Sad!
on April 30, 2014
I purchased this camera through 1969 easy money and paid a fraction for it. The seller gave me the correct memory card to use and everything is working fine. I defiinetly will look at this sight again. I like it because they follow up with you and left a telephone number to call if something was wrong with the product
on March 1, 2011
As an occasional and novice photographer, I've held off on getting a digital camera simply because I couldn't justify the cost. When circumstances arose that required me to have a digital camera, I set a low budget and checked the Amazon Marketplace. This camera (Nikon Coolpix 3200) is exactly what I need: low price, easy to use, and basic features. I'll have to look into rechargeable batteries, a memory card, and a camera bag, but the basic camera has been just fine thus far.
on March 9, 2005
This is my first digital camera after using an Olympus SLR and Olympus pocket size cameras, and I couldn't be happier with it! The functions were so easy to understand that I only watched the introductory DVD for a few minutes before realizing, "All the functions on this camera are easy to figure out!" I love the small size of this camera; it fits in my purse or pocket. The close up and movie features are fun and easy to use, and the zoom has the perfect range. I got rechargeable batteries for this camera after reading that the batteries that come with this camera aren't the best... and I've been very pleased with how many pictures I can take between charges, even while using the flash most of the time.

The only things I'd suggest improving on this camera: the delay between clicking the button and when the picture is snapped could be shorter, and sometimes there's a humming noise when using the movie functionality.

I recommend getting the carrying case to provide some extra protection against the elements -- as well as additional memory card(s). The memory card that comes with the camera is only good for the equivalent of about one roll of film, and the carrying case is strong and attractive.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on December 14, 2004
If I only knew that using a digital camera and uploading the photos onto the computer was so painless, I would've bought my first digital camera years ago. I'm also very glad that I made the Nikon 3200 my first digital camera because I own a Nikon F50 and thus am familiar with the kinds of symbols and technology Nikon uses in its products. And the Amazon price is simply unbeatable! Thank you, Nikon, and thank you, Amazon!!!
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on September 13, 2013
This is an older camera just like mine which died. I love it because it still has a viewfinder and a hard drive besides the memory card, so picked this over much newer models.
on July 29, 2011
The camera takes very good pictures, and it uses AA rechargeable batteries. I've used the camera for many years, it has been very reliable. Get it for a good price!