Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,454 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,028 reviews
on March 29, 2015
Tim Burton should have won an award for this! Ewan McGregor and Albert Finney too. Heck every actor and actress as a matter of fact did great. Cannot mention them all but a lot of cameos of famous supporting actors. Some people are critical of this because they feel that Tim Burton used every opportunity to show off his skills at bringing us visual fantasies and special effects and there may be some truth to that claim. However I disagree that that doesn't take away from this film because we know it's a Tim Burton film and it helps us to enjoy this rather dark and gloomy storyline. I mean basically it's about a father dying slowly while his son tries to reconnect and figure out who his dad really is. This is not really a very fun and exciting plot line and I think to Burton's credit he made us enjoy the adventure of the father outrageous stories and gave us an ending that didn't make us want to blow our brains out at the end like some movies can do with this sort of dark unnerving plot line. This movie can be shared with you younger family members as well. I think probably the cut off in my opinion would maybe be around 10 or 12 years old because of the seriousness of the imminent death of the ailing father. My 14 year old and 10 year old daughters loved this movie and I was concerned because my father passed away about 5 years ago and it was tough on them as well as the adults. Ironically my father died with family and friends around while his health deteriorated till his imminent death. We watched him take his last breaths. Obviously I am totally biased on this one. Either way watch and enjoy this film.
on April 26, 2017
Years ago when I first watched this movie, I felt really entertained, felt the movie odd at times or hard to grasp in certain scenes. I watched it again, then later again, and again and again. This movie was like a eating a Blow-pop (lollipop). You keep coming back for more and then WOW, you sense the center of it all.
I'm a guy and still cry at certain points as it reminds me of my Dad that passed on and the relationship we had in ways that seem to parallel the movies's life story. Top ten best movie's I have ever seen. Funny, my wife has watched it, appreciates the content and acting but does NOT get the thrill I get every time I watch it.
I my opinion, you don't have to be a son or father to understand and truly feel the deep humanistic aspects of this movie. Like a Blow-pop, it's the ending that blows you away!
on April 16, 2017
This film is a work of art--not only in terms of the perpetuity and power of stories to inform life and one's identity but because the characters are so endearing. There are so many wonderful stories embedded in this film that I have watched it over and over and continue to marvel at the direction the stories take us--the poignancy of life and stories that carry into generations. It is one of the most powerful narrations I have ever seen. I teach folklore and my students were so engaged that they continued to talk about the film long after it ended. There are many metaphors for the reality of this existence and the illusions that frame life for us all.
on April 8, 2017
I could go on about this fine film with scads and scads of details, like so many folks' reviews here, about Big Fish. I won't. Regardless of now Happy-Sad this film is, it touches the heart. thoroughly and gently. It makes me want to write my family's stories down. Stories do live on when their characters swim away, in Big Fish., as in real life. this film is a wonderful elegy. Well done.
on November 17, 2016
I'm one of the one's who names this as my favorite movie of all time. From start to finish Tim Burton swirls his wildly colourful cinematographic paint onto the big-screen canvas with precise brush strokes, both broad and narrow, creating layer of meaning upon layer of feeling. It is a dense work that has the appearance of being extraordinarily light, a sensory masterpiece that thrusts magic into realism and realism into magic with intent and purpose. But at the core of this simple tug-of-war between father (Albert Finney - present/Ewen McGregor -past) and son (Billy Crudup) lies a most excellent, shiny, irresistible nugget of truth. Burton is brilliant at sussing this up to an exhilarating finale of reconciliation and transformation, with an array of only-in-the-movies tools: image juxtaposition, pace, tones, textures and the careful management of the delivery of the beautiful, playful, securely-written lines, all of which, in themselves are essential to the very argument being presented. Never has a story of story telling been told so well.
on June 5, 2017
This story has the classic Tim Burton feel to it. It is a sweet story about fathers and Sons and their often-strained relationships. My father was also a big storyteller. There was a lot about his life that I didn't know until he passed away. This film was healing for me and some of my family. It helped us to come to grips with the man we never really fully knew and understood.
on March 10, 2015
Funny. Well written. Excellent acting. Poignant. Very enjoyable film overall. It was directed by Tim Burton, and it is very much like one of his animated movies(which I love). To give you a glimpse, this is the story of a young man's lifelong struggle trying to understand his father, to answer lifelong questions he felt he needed to know. Its not heavy drama on the surface..it wont bore you to stop watching. But when its over, you cant help but appreciate the depth of the story. And I would venture to say, you will be relating this to many people in your life in many different ways. I
didn't give it 5 stars, but don't really have a good reason not to....on a different day, I may. No real negatives on this movie, except some things were a little hard to understand...I think I may need to watch it again to sort things out. You will enjoy this.
on February 8, 2015
Amazing movie! Enjoyed every minute! I call it a masterful journey because of the way it is "told" so masterfully by the main character.

I'm an older woman with grown sons. I don't care for the direction in which our society is "heading".

This movie renewed my hope in the older generation's ability to truly "gift" our children with the wisdom that is their gift to give ("whether the kids like it or not")! I don't want to cause discomfort for anyone but at times I feel that younger people are not willing to look at the fact that their elders REALLY HAVE A METHOD TO THEIR MADNESS!!! The father in this movie fulfills this role.

I will say no more. Please know that the father shares a truly touching relationship with his wife. They have a son whom the father ADORES and guides through life in the best of ways despite that son"s often regarding his Dad with chagrin. The Dad is mystified by the son's attitude.

The stories Dad shares remind me of the aboriginal cultural tradition. They share their "songs" (or stories) about the past with future generations as those stories were shared with them. I may have the term "songs" incorrect, but if you've studied the aboriginal culture you'll remember of what I am speaking.

(http://www.aboriginalculture.com.au/religion.shtml to learn more about the Aborigines.)
on April 28, 2017
I rented the movie because Tim Burton directed it. I wasn't disappointed. It's a great-looking film with a fantastical visual style, but if Burton wanted the film to reflect that the old man in it is a blowhard, he succeeded. Frankly, I found the narrative boring.
on July 24, 2014
I've always loved Albert Finney and this was an excellent vehicle for the more mature Finney. I enjoyed the mixture of fantasy and reality and all of the actors were excellent in their performances. The sets were well designed and the story drifted through the man Finney plays life effortlessly. That said, it was engrossing enough that I did find it slow or boring and at no time did I desire to fast forward it. I understand that the novel this was created from has a loyal following and I hope it remained faithful to the book. I haven't read the book and after seeing the movie I probably won't as the cinematic story telling sufficed for me. The back drop of Finney's character's impending death was important and demonstrated that even at the end of a person's life, family members need to resolve their differences though this family's differences were tame compared to the one's in August: Osage County. I would definitely recommend Big Fish.