Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 348 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 446 reviews
on September 22, 2016
I bought this DVD for my mother. I had never seen this movie before this. My mother told me about this movie and that it was her favorite Christmas movie.
This main characters in this movie are;
Mary Steenburgen (Ginny Grainger - the mom),
Elizabeth Harnois (Abbie - Ginnys 6 yr old daughter) and
Harry Dean Stanton (Gideon The Angel - Ginnys guardian angel).
Ginny rediscovers the joy and beauty of Christmas, thanks to her six-year-old daughter.
It is suitable for kids but I don't think they will be interested in it. (My daughter tried watching this with us but she wasn't interested in it.)
With Christmas being too commercialized, this movie helps you to remember what is most important to you; love, family, faith, spirituality and goodwill. I really enjoyed this movie.
on December 30, 2016
From my husband, who has decreed this movie to be required viewing every time this year:

"This timeless Christmas tale has many lessons to impart. In addition to the usual Christmas niceties, it expresses through it's plot, a deep sense of loss that is then reconciled, causing a principle character in the story to re-discover the Christmas spirit in a truly cathartic way.
Harry Dean Stanton, recognizable as a "bad guy" in many a western, gives a memorable performance as the angel Gideon sent to look after the family the story is centered on.
The film is filled with a wholesome goodness that can't be denied."

Well, how can anyone argue with that?
on May 11, 2015
Everyone who is down about the holidays and about the things that "wipe you out" in life should watch this film. It allows you to feel a families frustration with so many day to day problems and how people choose to deal with them. At times there are moments when you are shocked and surprised by the events in this film. But in the end it forces you to remember the most important things in life about the ones you love and those you love you. A must see for any family.
on December 28, 2016
Mrs has to see this hard to find Mary Steenburgen classic every Xmas.
Decent flick. There's a holiday message to the film, and it seems the story
is a rather slow & dark tale for a bit, but for those who stick with it... it's
all sorted out at the end of the film. Gotta believe..especially at the holidays.
Treasure the people closest to you, and the gifts you already possess. Help
people who are less fortunate.
The spirit of Christmas is more about giving than receiving.
on January 13, 2016
I loved this movie as a kid and decided to buy it this past Christmas. It's an oldie but goodie. Takes you right back if you're a product of the 70s/80s. MarySteenbergen is fantastic. Yes, the movie is somewhat molded after It's a Wonderful Life, but not so much that you feel like you're watching a copy. I hate all the cheesy Christmas movies, and to me, this captures the spirit of Christmas, along with my nostalgia for decades past, without the annoyance factor. This goes on the shelf along with Bad(er) Santa, a Christmas Carol w/ George C Scott, and Love, Actually, which are about the only ones I can stomach.
on November 27, 2016
I have this movie on VHS. I loved it so much that I re-purchased it on DVD. Will be giving the VHS tape to a Thrift Store this Christmas.
on March 3, 2013
This is a great Canadian Christmas story with lots of snow and family problems, mainly the usual money shortages. It features an unlikely angel played by Harry Dean Stanton and very young child actors who really talk like children instead of being required to read lines sounding like an adult. The cutest little girl tells the landlord, "My daddy says you're a dork." He is dumfounded and moves on. Later she asks her little brother, "What's a dork?" Then there is the one bathroom problem, which is hilarious. The angel provides the magic by enabling the little girl to go to the North Pole to see the real Santa, who really does look real, not the usual phony whiskers. All this is to get her mother to wake up to the joy of Christmas, which she does by bringing back the letter her mother wrote to Santa when she was a little girl. There is a tragedy too that I won't tell about, but everything becomes right in the end and the spirit of Christmas is restored.
on May 9, 2017
This is my favorite Christmas movie of all time. I try to watch it every year and now my 2 daughters like to watch it as well just like me and my mom.
on November 22, 2010
I am going to forego a synopsis of the storyline, which is found on the Amazon and IMDB.com websites for this film.
Instead, I want only to share how I found this film transforming and endearing, possessed of heart and thought and what it meant to me; why it has become a must see for me each Christmas.
When this Disney film was released in 1985, I thrilled at seeing an unheralded treat (or so I thought)- one to be added to my list of annual Christmas treasures for viewing.
Needless to say, I (figuratively) crawled from the theater- stunned by the overall gloomy tenor of the film. Had Disney gone "dark"? Were the reviews I later read confirming the depressing nature of the film valid, or was I missing something.
For a few years, the haunting tale of Ginny Grainger's downtrodden existence, lack of hope and joy at the holiday season, her loss of faith, facing one heart-wrending calamity after another (only at last to be renewed) gnawed at me.
And then it was released on videotape, so I went to my nearby rental store and took the movie home to give it another chance. (let me tell you, my wife thought me insane - and still to this day does not "get it" - refusing to watch it with me).
I put it into the VCR on Xmas eve, sat back with a glass of wine and lo and behold! became entranced by the subtle beauty of the performances, the deep spiritual magic of the story and the emotions it brought forth.
Somehow, I had earlier missed the tale of faith born anew in the face of one catastrophe after another by Ginny, the central character` of the film.
Mary Steenburgen, as the matriarch of a family beset with severe financial problems, struggles against the feelings of joy and hope exhibited by her husband and children, who in spite of everything, believe in the magic of Christmas.
Harry Dean Stanton as the angel Gideon, contrives with Ginny's daughter to renew Ginny's Christmas spirit, with the aid of probably the greatest Santa Claus ever filmed on screen, as played by the actor Jan Rubles. If ever there was a Santa Claus, he is it- and the artistry and majesty of Santa's workshop at the North Pole is only as Disney could create it - this is not your Tim Allen in Santa's workshop to be sure.
Enduring Ginny's pessimistic outlook on life, and struggling with her as she faces one tragedy after another as engineered by Gideon to help her reach the ultimate crossroads in a crisis of faith takes a measure of patience and strength for the viewer and yet, the ultimate reward, the restoration of her belief in the magic of Christmas is enchanting and heartwarming.
As bleak as the canvas of this story is painted, until it's redeeming conclusion, it is wholesome and spiritual, without being overtly religious. It is as dark as the depths of despair suffered by George Bailey in "It's a Wonderful Life" and ultimately as life assuring as well. If you are not altogether soul-less, you will gasp and sob and come away glowing with sentimentality of it's virtue. Give it a view, it's more than worthwhile (sorry to be so wordy :)
on December 27, 2011
I must say, the first time I saw this movie in a theatre I was kind of taken aback. It did not seem the type of movie a child would like. The very disturbing middle part I found a bit puzzling. How to reconile the violence and negativity with Walt Disney. In retrospect, the story line followed described norms: it had a definite beginning, a middle and a definite end. And Gideon's advice to the little girl about not being concerned about what was to happen I don't think could have been understood by most of the younger children watching. As a Christmas movie, meant to re-create the joy of the season, One Magic Christmas rated a 4 out of a possible 10. That's just me. I am not telling anyone not to obtain this video; just to keep and open mind and compare what I said to what you see.