Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ravensburger Make 'N' Break - Family Game
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

on September 5, 2007
This game is great fun for the whole family. The age range recommends 8+, but my 4 year-old son plays fine. Unlike many other "family" games, this one is actually fun for the parents. And we play with our big people friends when the kids are in bed, and it is a blast. This game makes me want to throw away Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, and all those other tortuous games the kids have.
VINE VOICEon October 20, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We ended up with both the regular and junior version and I have to say that my husband and I enjoyed the junior version way better (even after the kids had gone to bed).

This version requires a lot of waiting. You roll the dice, set the timer to 1, 2 or 3 and try to build with blocks to copy as many cards as possible. I found the randomness of how much time you get kind of frustrating. I definitely prefer games with less randomness and more skill. It's frustrating if your opponent gets more time than you. Basically it's a solitaire game you can play with other people.

The components are quality Ravensburger (except for the timer which is kind of chincey). The only kind of weird thing is that one block is almost black, but is actually a navy purple color. The card shows the block as purple and that kind of threw me at first, but my work involves work with color and most people probably wouldn't notice.

Basically, I found this game boring. The Junior version is much faster paced, involves competition, is more equitable, etc. Don't waste your time with this one!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a pretty fun game for kids. On a player's turn a card is drawn with an image of a structure that the player has to build with the blocks. Some require the same colored blocks in the exact places, and other cards only require the structure, so colored blocks can be used any way desired. There is a timer and a player can build as many structures as they're able until the timer goes off. There are also two decks of cards, an easier group and a harder group. Even with me using the harder cards and my 8 y.o. using the easier ones, I really had to purposefully slow myself down in order to make the game seem close and not beat her with a landslide.

Our daughter loves games and we try to find games that we can play with her without us having to "dumb ourselves down" (for lack of a better description) and pretend it's harder than it is in order to play it with her. There are a lot of games out there that adults can play with kids in which they can fully use their own skills and knowledge which makes it more enjoyable (forbidden island is a great example and is our current favorite kids game). To us it feels patronizing and untruthful to have to "pretend" that a game is harder or more interesting than it really is in order to play it with our daughter. We'd rather play games that really are engaging for all ages rather than pretending that they are.

If you have kids that will play together then this game would be great for them. For adults playing with kids, you'll have to pretend it's harder than it is or else you'll easily beat the kids which isn't very fun or fair for them.
on December 30, 2007
My son asked for this for Christmas. He plays it in his third grade math class. There are three levels of difficulty so our 5 year-old can play at level 1 and there are plenty of challenges in levels 2 and 3. I was surprised at how much fun we were all having. You are timed at how many block structures you can build according to the cards in a certain amount of time. Sometimes you have to follow the pattern exactly - design and color of blocks; other times you follow the pattern but can use any blocks reagrdless of color. It's best to play on a hard surface on the floor because blocks can go flying off the table when you need them!
on October 17, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ravensburger company is known for making excellent toys and games. Not the just the fun factor, but the quality of the materials that is used. If you want something for your family, consider this wonderful game, Make 'N' Break.

1. THE FUN FACTOR. If you like the challenge of building things within the limited time, then this game is very good. Your coordination of eyes, hands, and speed will determine the fate of the game. As each takes his/her own turn with the unknown design of the building flash-card before you, there is a sense of anticipation building. All these add to the excitement of the game.
2. THE BUILD. The materials used for this game is a top notch. The wooden blocks are well made, designed with no sharp corners, but have rounded corners (so no accidental cuts!). The cards are glossy and strong. The timer is also well built and not subject easy breakage. The quality is indeed top notch.
3. THE EDUCATIONAL FACTOR. The game does promote Logical element - not a strong one, but adequate for the kids. Even the box says, "ages 8 and up," it is clearly fun for 6 or 7 years old kids.

Overall, I was playing with my kids, there was a lot of laughter yet some intensity as well! Also, the game is not long (20 minutes), so that is good for busy adults! Recommended!
on February 8, 2015
I got this for my 5 year old for Christmas. It is really fun. We played it with my aging parents and everybody got to participate. There is no reading, so little kids can do this. We modified the rules a little bit because there are too many steps. The coins are pretty pointless--we just saved our cards and added up the points at the end rather than following the unnecessary steps of giving out coins and making change for points--the coins only come in increments. We also all used the same amount of time on the timer to make it fair because that would have really frustrated my 5 year old. I was thrilled that my dad did so well because his brain is on the decline. Even my 1 year old had fun operating the timer for all of us! I am a teacher and these kinds of logic and spatial reasoning pictures appear on standardized tests, so there is educational value here too!
on January 6, 2016
Oh this is such a fun game for the whole family! I purchased for our little one age 5, and he has so much fun! One player goes at a time, and builds what is on the card they draw! Some are easier and some pretty hard to build! I highly recommend and even the little ones can play!
on April 5, 2016
Like other reviewers mentioned, my son who is 4 [not minimum age recommended on the box] LOVES this game. He loves to build, is mechanically minded, and with some alterations to the rules for his turns, this one is a family favorite.
on December 15, 2007
We played the game with children from 6-12 and everyone had a great time. The adults couldn't wait for the kids to go to bed so we could play it alone. Fun game that can easily be made into a young child's game as well as a grown-ups game.
on February 20, 2014
Our family LOVES this game. It was a recommendation from a friend of mine whose family also loves this game. We thought about getting the Jr. version, but my friend has a son about the same age as mine (five-ish) and said he has no problem with this version at all. So we got this one and it is a huge hit! My son loves it, and so do the adults. Great game for rainy days and school holidays :)