Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 7,843 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 8,538 reviews
on October 3, 2015
I have a 7 pound maltese and a 16 pound bichon. I ended up ordering a 'large' and my bichon loved it, but today I found a junior at a local store and bought that too.

Both sizes are ok for my bichon - at least she thinks so - but the 'large' works better. She has no problem carrying the larger log or getting the squirrels out. With the junior, she'll hoard the squirrels once they're out of the log (they're not small enough to be a choking hazard), but the log holes are smaller and it's harder for her to jam her face in there and pull them out.

With my maltese, it's just the opposite. She had no problem with the large squirrels and she had some fun dragging the larger log around the room, but the combination is too unwieldy for her. The junior is a perfect size.

I've included a few pictures, with a standard AA battery to scale.
review image review image
0Comment| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2014
I have a 1 year old pitbull mix who is a very strong chewer. I bought this after having read many many reviews knowing that it would probably be torn to pieces but that he would love it while it lasted. I was pleasantly surprised to find that with a little bit of supervision, this toy lasted a few months. He absolutely loves this toy!

The squirrels are the perfect size for him to hold in his mouth and carry around and they're a good size to toss around for a game of catch. If left to his own devices, he will absolutely shred this toy in about a minute. However, when we used it with him - by hiding the squirrels over and over and tossing them in the air for him to catch - and then put it away after playtime, they lasted quite a while. This toy will definitely not hold up to chewing but when used interactively and with supervision it's fun and will last a bit longer.

The squirrels have quite a few seams and are easy to tear apart. There's not really a whole lot of stuffing so not a huge mess but a mess nonetheless. The squeaker is just stuck in there with the stuffing with not extra reinforcement or protection so be aware of that if your dog likes to kill things that squeak. I really like that you can buy replacement squirrels and they're not that expensive.

The tree stump itself has generally held up well, although there is some tearing around the holes just from the dog shoving his nose in there over and over again. Some extra reinforcement around the openings would be wonderful and would make this last even longer.

Bottom line, I think most dogs would love this toy and if you're willing to supervise the play this should be a must buy. However, if your dog is a heavy chewer and you're looking for something you can leave out for them to play with at will, this is probably not the best choice.
review image
0Comment| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 28, 2017
Gosh - what a clever "puzzle" for dogs this is! As the long distance "grandma" of four adorable little Dachshunds -- who live waaaaay down in Mississippi with my younger son and his partner, while I live waaaaay up in Cincinnati :-( -- I've enjoyed sending little parcels every now and then to let them know I'm thinking about them. Wish I had pictures to share like some of the gorgeous dogs on other reviews - this old lady doesn't even own a digital camera, let alone know how to upload (download?) one, LOL! Having never experienced pet ownership myself, I've been a little overwhelmed by the vast number of toys available, and have really enjoyed the websites of some of the quality manufacturers out there, with Outward Hound being one of them. So many interesting products and info to be found on them, especially for canine-novices like me! I got a kick out of imagining my four little "granddaughters" having a good time wrestling the squirrels out of this tree trunk... the bees and birds puzzles are cute too, but I had to go with the squirrels when I laughed out loud at what my son's reaction would be since he and I - both avid gardners - share a disdain for these creatures, whose cuteness belies the fact that they're such pests with their digging up of our gardens, lawns and potted plants, not to mention raiding the bird feeders!

You can't beat Amazon prices on these animal puzzles - they're terrific as compared to ordering directly from Outward Hound, though here are correct dimensions/MSRPs - straight from the manufacturer's pages - to give you a better grasp of the sizes (dimensions shown are L x W x H) of the available puzzles (along with their MSRPs)... HIDE-A-SQUIRREL: Junior (5" x 5" x 5", $12.99), Large (6" x 6" x 7", $16.99), Jumbo (7" x 7" x 8", $24.99), Ginormous (7" x 7" x 12", $29.99). There's only one size available for the other two; HIDE-A-BEE is 7" x 6" x 8", HIDE-A-BIRD is 8" x 6" x 6", each listed for $19.99. All of the puzzles come with three squeaky animals (except the Ginormous squirrel puzzle, which has six) to hide inside of a nicely durable plush (well, as durable as they can be when our canine friends have their way with them!)

According to my son, the two younger girls have NOT stopped chomping on this toy since the day it arrived, and are just enjoying the heck out of it! Obviously, a toy like this will eventually end up in shreds the more it's played with, but better this than my son's shoes! Makes me feel good, with the distance between us, to be able to send a little love their way every now and then.
on January 27, 2015
Well my dog absolutely loved the toy. As soon as he saw it, he was obsessed --pulling the squirrels out, running around, chewing, and fetch. However, my dog loves to rip the seams on toys and the squirrels didn't last more than a day. He had a blast dismembering each and every one though. The "tree" has lasted about a month and he still loves playing with it, even without the squirrels. I've never seen him take to a toy as much as this one.
review image review image
0Comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2015
Lovely puzzle toy for my toy poodle puppy. She's 12 weeks old & very petite. She carries the whole toy around & chews the individual squirrels to make them squeak. I hide them back in their tree & she ferrets them out again. My boyfriend's cocker spaniel gets jealous & swipes a squirrel & my tiny Coco chases him down & reclaims it. I've also hidden treats in the tree trunk & she dives right in.
on August 28, 2015
YES as everyone else has said, my dogs LOVED this thing. They still do. I have a 15 lb terrier mix and a 45 lb hound mix. The hound, Bella, LOVES this toy like no toy before. She brings "the log" with her to bed, and when people come to the door, she runs looking for it, grabs it up, and greets guests with it in her mouth. The little squirrels have been eviscerated long ago (though they were tough ... it took the dogs about 3 weeks) but I like that I can put other soft toys inside for them to play with and extract.

Now it's the "log" itself that is in danger, though. Bella has torn a hole in it and is pulling out the filling. At least the log is sewed into sections, so even though one section is flat, the other ones still hold some shape.

UPDATE: Still going strong. A couple squirrels are still intact and I find them around the house. Bella is still in love with the trunk part. I'm uploading a picture of her with it. It's closer to a rag now than anything else, but it's her favorite thing, and when guests come over, she has to look for it and offer it to people.

I would've given 5 stars if the manufacturer could've come up with a way to make this toy without stuffing, but still soft and plushy, so it'd last longer.
on December 15, 2015
Lets talk about super cute! I can see dogs going crazy over this. Me however, I bought it for my cat. Yes I said cat my oddball cat loves little stuffed animals. After he stole a bunch of my daughters I decided it was time to get him his own. This set is perfect! I bought the ginormous one which has 6 little squirrels as well as a large trunk to have the squirrels stick out of the holes. This whole set up is cute I even sprinkle a little catnip on the squirrels to make them a little more appealing and Crowley (my cat) is all over them. He treats them like his babies and doesn't let anyone else play with them. This for sure has been a win in my house and my pet approves. The trunk and squirrels are both high quality and I can see them holding up to rough housing dogs.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on November 12, 2015
Puppy loves it!
on December 19, 2016
I ordered a jumbo on Black Friday to get the lightning deal and get it for $7 cheaper. I thought it was a jumbo toy. It's not! I have a 1 yr old Dachshund and she loves loves loves the toys.I bought a jumbo for her and a junior for my little four-month-old tiny Chihuahua puppy. Well when the jumbo came I thought it was the junior and then the next day the junior came I don't know why they couldn't mail them at the same time, antway the junior is so tiny I wanted to send it back but I would've lost money on it and it wasn't worth it. So just buyer beware and look at the pictures that people have posted. Their is a picture showing what it's true size is compared to another item check that out and make sure you know what you're buying. Now I wished I would've bought the biggest one but now the special offer is gone and I won't pay $30 for it. I wish I would've checked out the pictures first.
on December 16, 2016
Bought this for my dog and it broke a record for being destroyed the fastest ever! The stump lasted a whole 27 minutes before it was torn apart and my dog is just a normal chewer. She really loved the idea but the quality is not the best.
If you found this helpful let me know by giving me a like on this review, if not let me know what i can do to improve for our amazon community.