Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services movienight movienight movienight  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 87 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 110 reviews
on July 14, 2014
Flimsy box. I was so happy to give my grandmother something from her childhood. I was horrified when I went to hand her the box and the handle broke, spilling the candy all over the ground ruining the surprise as we collected the candy to put back in the broken box. . I wish I could give this 5 stars, but for the amount of money that I paid for this, the storage box should not break. It's a shame because it was something that she would have like to display and have as a conversation piece. My grandmother was still thrilled with the candy and prompted memories from her childhood that she never would have thought of again. It was a treasure to listen to those stories.
on December 27, 2007
The Good:
The box was nicely packaged and arrived with even its bow intact. The amount of candy was abundant, the variety was good, and my father-in-law greatly enjoyed reminiscing over the various gums and hard candies.

The Bad:
When my order from Candy Crate was six days overdue, I emailed the company and received a quick reply. I was assured my product would arrive shortly. I had to send another email after an additional two days complaining that it was Christmas Eve and the package hadn't arrived. Candy Crate contacted the delivery company, refunded my delivery charges, and apologized. Their customer service responses were quick and congenial but I wouldn't order from them unless you plan way ahead or they change the delivery company with whom they work.
99 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2011
Overall the selection is interesting and reminds me of the candy that my grandparents had at their house, even though there were many uninspired items that are common today. The quality is rather poor and a good percentage of the items were stale or inedible due to their hardness. Even without the stale candy, the value was lacking since most of this candy is still common today and available in the bulk candy section of supermarkets. I would reccomend that you skip this one.

I bought this as a spare christmas gift (you know for the person who shows up with a gift but you forgot) and didn't need it. I was excited to open this myself and was almost immediately dissapointed. The selection was a bit off I think and included candy you can get in the bulk candy section of the supermarket. This candy was mostly as hard as a rock and stale. There were cough (throat) drops from the smith brothers. Throat drops are not my idea of candy.
44 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2007
i sent this to my 80 year old Mother for Mother's day. she was thrilled not to get more flowers and said it was a huge amount of candy and she enjoyed the memories that they evoke.
on March 21, 2011
Apparently there is a very small market of us Seniors (76 yrs) who are into nostalgia...attempting to relive our youth at the penny-candy store. This collection seemed promising but perhaps has been in storeage since the 1940's. The candy is dried-out and stale. Familiar names and packaging provided some satisfaction...but at the price? Give me a break.
on May 16, 2011
Ordered this package along with some other 'decades' selection. The diversity wasn't bad, but I found a lot of the candy to be stale - as if it was the actual candy from that era, sitting in some candy vault for all these years. The candy that was supposed to be chewy was hard, and some selections (Bit O' Honey, Abbazabba, Turkish Taffy, etc...) had obviously been kept in a hot, humid area because they had melted and hardened into odd unappealing shapes. The hard candy (that was supposed to be hard) was mostly fine. Interesting, but I wouldn't order again.
VINE VOICEon January 4, 2007
I bought this for a friend and we both had fun remembering the candy from our childhood. It still tastes as good today!
on August 1, 2009
Cute idea,but box arrived creased, and some of the candy stale. Did not live up to it's promise for the price. This was a birthday gift for my husband.
44 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2009
I ordered this for my Dad for Christmas. While I knew he wouldn't get it in time, I didn't expect it to take 4 weeks. When it did arrive, I was really disappointed with the selection of candy....much of which you can still buy in most stores. In addition, some of the "chewable" items were like rocks. Fun idea...poor execution.
on December 9, 2013
The product description lists a number of candies that are NOT included in the assortment: Broadway Roll Mini, French Chew, Jujubes, Sen Sen, Chick O Stick Nuggets, and Walnettos. I will return at Amazon's expense.