Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Candy Crate 1950's Retro Candy Gift Box
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on February 2, 2009
1950's Retro Candy Gift Box
I ordered this for my husband for Christmas 2008. The box was torn and banged up. There may have been $5.00 worth of candy in it and most of it was stuff I could have bought in any novelty shop-even cracker barrel. As a matter of fact, Cracker Barrel did have similar items in a basket for half the price. I wish I had saved my money. Then add on the shipping- it was VERY expensive!
99 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2009
I bought the 1950's candy crate for my daughter for her birthday. I paid $38.00 with shipping and handling. I don't know what I expected but I was stunned at how little we got. It was about $5.00 worth of candy (probably worth no more than $.50 total in the 1950's), .50 for all the waste of paper to stuff the box, and the rest of the cost was probably for nostalgia. I would never buy one again.
on July 13, 2009
Great idea.
I was excited to give this as a gift. Very disappointed when it arrived.
Expensive for what you actually get. I felt I needed to purchase an additional gift to go with it which made it even more expensive.
I won't order this again.
on September 23, 2005
I bought this for my mom, a child of the 50s... she loved it! She stayed outside with her wax lips and candy cigarettes and had a great time. Wonderful. Cute box, too.
on March 20, 2011
The Retro Candy Gift Box was a nostalgic assortment of nostalgic candies. I bought it for a family member who enjoyed several of these candies during their childhood years. Unfortunately the candy freshness was poor. Most of the confections were shelf-stale. Old. Gums were rock-hard, such as the Bazooka individuals. Suckers had a soft outer layer. Too many items were obviously past their sell-by dates. The joke went around the table that "maybe these candies *are* actually left over from the 50's!". It was a trip down memory lane for the gift receiver, but a disappointing one at that. I would not buy this again.
on August 27, 2007
My brother thought this was one of the best and unique gifts he had ever received. He and his wife laughed and shared stories of their childhood as they sorted through the basket. They fought over their favorites and thanked me time and again for the fun the had with this gift.
on January 3, 2011
I purchased this product for a gift for someone who liked to reminisce about his old days are kid and the candy he use to eat all the time. After seeing this thought it would be a good gift. However, he opened and wanted to share some and we found out that all of the candy was stale and was inedible. I would not recommend this product for anyone even if they price were to drop.
on December 29, 2011
The candy in the box was very nostalgic(cool) but it very well may have been fresher if it was from the 50's. Holy moly the stuff was hard as a rock(juju-bees and gum). I busted a tooth on the juju's. I didnt expect it to overflow with candy but DID expect it to be a little, check that, a LOT fresher than it was. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!
on January 2, 2016
I bought this for my mom as a birthday gift. She was so, so excited! I was not expecting the amount of candy that was included, there was so much! She sat there for almost an hour going through everything with her sister reliving their childhood. The candy brought back so many memories. Both of their parents have passed, and they told me stories about how my grandpa always used to buy them the coconut candy that was included because he knew they wouldn't eat it and he would have to end up eating it for them! The wax lips were the biggest hit! I would highly recommend this product if you want a gift that will be truly appreciated. Also, I have seen a few reviews that say the candy was old, I did not have that experience at all. All of the candy was fresh and edible!
on December 30, 2013
There was nothing nostalgic about this box of candy. Everything in the box was a very expensive knock off of what, perhaps 55 or 60 years ago, the original candy was. The package was a jumbled up mess of loose candy, probably from rough handling. Virtually everything in there was stale and hard as a rock. It was to be a gift, but after seeing it I poured it into the community candy bowl that lives here. After several days of 15 grandkids coming and going, it is mostly still there. I do not know how The Candy Crate expects to get repeat customers selling trash like this. Go to Walmart for your candy needs rather than this place.

See 1 answered question