Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 320 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 343 reviews
VINE VOICEon July 13, 2016
I've had my senior cat on this food for over a year. He has had a history of urinary crystals & blockage. The vet had him on the costly vet food- K/D, C/D, but he got the point where he wouldnt eat the prescription food, so we needed something different. I found this food by researching ingredients & info on [...]. In the right hand column, she has a chart showing different cat foods with phosphorus levels, calorie count, etc. This Science Diet Minced Chicken was on the lower end of phosphorus levels which is supposed to be good for cats urinary tract health. I've rotated between the Minced Chicken Entree & the Adult Minced Chicken Entree & my cat likes them both. Have purchased both the 5.5oz & the 3oz cans. The 3 oz cans are easier because I feed my cat 3 times a day, one small 3 oz can at each feeding. When we buy the 5.5 oz, we need to split up the can & refrigerate then heat a little. Don't leave an open can out for more than a few hours because bacteria can begin to form. Highly recommend this food if you're cat has urinary health issues.
VINE VOICEon December 18, 2012
I switched to Science Diet, mature 7+ about 2 weeks ago for cats (had tried some small cans from Petsmart). I have 5 - all between about 8 and 15 yrs. To my amazement - they love this really mushy food. It's almost like thick baby food - and like some other reviewers - it does get matted down on the dish at bit - but cats seem to still eat/lick it up) just fine. I put out both my old food (Friskies, and Fancy Feast) and they go for this. They also each much less of it. Must be much more filling. SO. even though it is more expensive than my old choice - am using about half. I now split one 5.5 oz can/and one little can for all 5. Was splitting 2 to 3 of the other brand (5.5 oz cans). Recommended.
on April 24, 2014
My vet recommended this for my cats. 13 and 16 years young they are.Their heads do not come up from the bowl until they are licked clean. I have the automatic refill set up, eliminating the schlepping to the store, shopping around for the best price, all those other reasons we all shop on Amazon.
Having said that, I think I will have to start tipping my USPS carrier.
That guy is really getting a workout.
This review is for the senior ("adult 7+") beef version in the 5.5 ounce cans.

I have one cat who strongly prefers beef over other protein sources. I can try to feed her chicken or fish and it might work for a day or two, but then she will start rejecting it. So, I just buy her beef. She'd previously been eating the regular adult version of this food but she is now at least 8 or 9 years old, so I thought it was time to switch her to the senior food.

If you are wanting a lower calorie food than the regular adult food, please know that a full can of this only has something like 7 calories fewer than the regular adult food. So if you are looking to compensate for decreased activity as your cat gets older, you will probably have to feed less than a full can. (My cat is somewhere in the 12-13 pound range, though she needs to lose weight, so I've put her on 3/4 of a can per day.)

This seems to be giving my cat all of her nutritional needs. She has a nice coat and bright eyes and an appropriate energy level for a cat her age. (She has asthma and feline herpesvirus and she is a bit overweight, which is one reason she's on a reduced amount of food. But for everything the food can help with, I think this is helping.)

This is rather soft and not quite runny, but let's just say it's difficult to accurately measure 1/4 of the can at any given time, unless the can is full. It doesn't really solidify in the refrigerator like other wet types of cat food do. (I feed my cat 1/4 of the can, three times per day. She doesn't seem to mind eating it cold. I have some lids I put on these cans in the refrigerator; plenty of decent ones are available on Amazon.)

The cat eats this right up. Occasionally one of my other cats will want to eat this and I usually let him (he doesn't always want to eat a whole lot so I generally indulge him when he begs for it). So the flavor seems appealing to cats.

I am not super happy about all the ingredients (there are byproducts in here as well as grains, and cats typically should not eat grains). But it is fighting a losing battle to try to get my cats to eat what I think are the "perfect" foods. They will eat what is appetizing to them, and this happens to be. My cat is otherwise healthy enough outside of her chronic conditions that are not related to this food (she had asthma and feline herpesvirus long before I started feeding her this). I also note, some of the super premium foods are actually too rich for my kitty and give her upset stomach, while she does keep this down, and that is also important.
on May 3, 2013
I have a 15 yr old cat. He would throw up shortly after eating any dry cat food I tried. Switched to canned food after extensive research. With some of the cheaper store brands, problem still existed but minimally. Switched to Science Diet Mature cat....problem gone. Now both cat and I are happy. As a bonus, Amazon repeat shipping is about $2 per case cheaper than anywhere else.
on October 6, 2016
My cat eats anything, literally, he loves all foods. This one he ate, and it made him sick - he became anxious and lethargic. I have never experienced that with a cat food before, especially science diet. But after doing some research online, many cats are having issues with this wet food. I would not buy again. Total waste because amazon wouldn't allow a return.
on November 11, 2015
My cat seemed to like the kibble but grew tired of it before the medium-size bag was done but still decided to try this since it seemed like it was higher quality compared to the typical canned food. None of the cans were damaged and didn't "stink" but the cat ate a small portion and left it alone. 10 or 15 minutes later she vomited on the floor and into the next day, threw up another 2 times and had no appetite.

**EDIT** I will add that Hill's Science did reply to suggest "transitioning" but the cat is wary of trying it again. I gave the brand a second change with another wet flavor and the cat was actually afraid of it. For a food greedy cat to scurry away rather than even give it a second whim means something is seriously wrong. It didn't smell terrible but not appetizing by any means and it looked a weird sickly grey.
on December 3, 2014
First, some background:

My kitty is in the early stages of kidney failure. It makes me tear up just typing that (if you're reading this, then I know you know what I mean). Right now, his problems are manifesting as excess stomach acid (I think), frequent trips to the litter box to pee, and frequent runny stool. After trying several other grain free brands, I've come to Hill's Science Diet.

Le me begin by with some words of advice for parents of kitties with kidney problems. Get your cats off dry food! Dehydration is bad for kitties with kidney issues and dry food is the worst offender. Kitties aren't meant to eat dry food. They are obligate carnivores, meaning they need to eat meat.

Anyway, I ended up with Hill's not necessarily because the other foods I tried were bad, but because it had what I consider to be a good health-to-cost ratio. I should mention that my kitty used to weigh 22 pounds. It's not that he's fat, he's just large for a cat. He's now down to 16 pounds since I stopped free feeding him and started monitoring his health more. I was spending about $90 a month on my little bear's food when I had him on another brand, which is a good food for kidney failure, but is a bit expensive as you can see. Now that I've switched to Hill's, I spend about $50-60 a month (my cat eats 11 ounces of food per day). So that's the financial reason.

As far as the health reasons, Hill's Science Diet (this specific flavor, Mature Adult Gourmet Turkey Entree) has a good spread of attributes for keeping my bear happy.

Dry Matter Analysis is a method of measuring the content of cat food. Since cat foods vary in moisture content, it is difficult to compare them. For example, to compare canned cat food to a dry cat food doesn't really work because canned food naturally contains more water. Dry matter analysis works by assuming all the moisture content in the food has been removed.

The dry matter analysis for this flavor are:

Protein: 34.5%, Fat: 20.1%, Carbohydrate: 34.5%, Phosphorus: 0.6%.

A high phosphorus level in blood tests will make your cat feel ill and may make the CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease) progress faster. The easiest and most effective way to control phosphorus levels is by feeding foods low in phosphorus.

A good CRF (Chronic Renal Failure) friendly food would contain low phosphorus, average to low protein (between 20-30%), average to high fat, and low sodium (CRF cats are prone to high blood pressure). Since the minimum level of phosphorus in a non-prescription food is 0.5%, you are not going to find a complete commercial food with phosphorus below 0.5%. No commercial food meeting AAFCO guidelines will meet this requirement because the minimum phosphorus level required by AAFCO is 0.5%.

If you'd like to read more about Dry Matter Analysis and cat foods for chronic renal failure kitties in general, I can direct you to a good place to do so.

My daily routine is to mix some Slippery Elm powder with boiling water, let it cool, and mix a bit in with his can of food. He gets fed twice a day, one can in the morning, one at night. Since beginning this regime, he has been throwing up acid less, and his stool is sometimes nice and solid instead of always runny. The Slippery Elm helps coat the intestines and prevents inflammation and the food is relatively low phosphorus, so he's been doing well on it with this new food.

He seems to enjoy the food itself, but he's not a very picky eater to begin with. He's never thrown it up or refused to eat it. He doesn't scarf it all down at once, he eats it throughout the day in little snacks between naps. It seems to keep him fairly well hydrated as he rarely touches his water (cats in the wild get most of their water content from their food).

The food comes in 5.5oz cans with pop tops that are made of flimsy metal. I'm always nervous that they will bend open but they haven't yet, so I'm probably worrying for nothing.

All in all, the food is good quality for the cost on paper. It's not much to look at and doesn't smell as appetizing as some other brands I've tried, but it also doesn't have junk in it or make my cat sick. It's worth giving it a try if you're on a budget and have a sick kitty.
VINE VOICEon April 7, 2013
I'm sure this is good for my cats - it's just very "mushy" - not "solid" at all (all flavors the same). Appears to be easy for them to digest (not throwing it up), but they're not wild about it. Was using this "mature adult", but have switched to "adult" now. I feed my cats "scoop" of science diet/mature and one scoop (about tablespoon) of other (Friskies/new "morning" or "indoor" series). I have 5 cats, ages about 8 to about 16 years. I gave it 4 only because of the way it looks (pastey). The "adult" has slightly more texture (than adult mature), but still mushy & stickes to the dish.

UPDATE 08/25/14: switched to royal canin canned "instintive" about 6 to 8 months ago (cats just did not really like the sciene diet); royal "looks better", not pasty at all. royal canin also good/throw ups significantly reduced along with their dry food too. BUT, recently tried Purina One dry for sensitive stomachs - and after 1 week....no throw ups! And they like it! I ordered purina canned - trying that w/the purina dry. will see how that works out. so far, so good, and less expensive. ships nice and fast (w/prime) - and I love that it saves me from having to go to pet store (where I always spend more money on "extra stuff").
on October 18, 2010
Both my cats liked this flavor, even my finicky eater. Of course, there are no guarantees when buying food for a cat. You never know what they'll turn their noses up at!

I decided to buy this after researching a bunch of low protein, low phosphorous foods for my tabby who has CRF. One of the best websites out there (felinecrf dot org) listed this specific Hill's flavor as a good choice. I'm relieved my cats also like it!

You should be aware that this product is a 3oz can (the same size as a Fancy Feast can).