Customer Reviews: Hill's Science Diet Adult Oral Care Chicken Rice & Barley Recipe Dry Dog Food, 4-Pound Bag
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon

on February 18, 2015
Okay, seriously? Im not a big reviewer, but I HAD to write one about this food. I have a 5lb pomeranian named Cornuts. He is a pretty spoiled dog and too many people in his life feed him food (not me) so that he gets really picky about dog food I give him and will often not eat for days hoping to get human food.. :/. Anyway, he won't eat greenies so I started looking around for another alternative. and BOY DID I FIND IT!
First off let me say, this food is huge. When I got it I thought "how big could it be?" its really big. Its like the size of those oversized bubblegum balls you get in one of those machines. When I opened to bag (with a plastic velcro zip - INGENIUS, GUYS!! SO HANDY!) I actually laughed and thought he would never eat it....
The thing is, he totally loves it! and watching him eat it I can see how it is made to help scrub his teeth. He acts like every pellet is a treat. He takes it, goes to his "treat corner" and eats it, only to go back 10 times for more. I couldn't be happier with this food. His teeth are starting to look whiter and he seems to have more energy. I am ordering a bag to bring to my office and my boyfriends place and I will be telling everyone I know about it. YAHOO!!
on February 3, 2013
Though you can use this as your dog's main diet, I use it as a healthy snack. I fill their bowl with dog food, then add several of these on top, as I am leaving for work. They love to run over to the bowl, get one, then run away with their prize! Keeps them busy and is a healthy snack, and keeps them occupied when I have left for work. ( I have dogs that share food well). My vet tells me it's is great for their teeth.
on November 12, 2014
My mother is a CVT and insists that this is the best food for your dog unless you want to have their teeth cleaned every year. Since I don't want to put my dog under for something like teeth cleaning (it isn't necessarily good for your pet) and because she hasn't been under for anything else in the last few years, I do use this food. I have been feeding my dog oral care since she was a puppy (2008). She has always been happy eatting this food; her teeth have very little tartar; her coat looks great; and most importantly, she is healthy.

You will notice that the food is big chunks. My boston terrier (and my mom's shiba inu and llasa apso) have had no problems eatting the bigger chunks. Small breeds like miniature anything, chihuahuas, and shitzus may have problems eatting this food though.

I should also note that this food has a new formula. It does have a smell - not anything bad - just like dog food, but much stronger than it had been previously. I have gone through a few bags of this new formula with no issues. My dog still eats it up. The new formula kibble size is a little smaller than the original formula, but I think that small dogs would still be challenged by it.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on April 22, 2014
My vet recommended this years ago and my dog was happy with it. Hill's changed the formula in April 2014 and the new version is much worse. The old version looked just like the bland kibble it was; the new version has brown streaks that seem to be intended to suggest gravy but just look artificial. It also smells bad; perhaps they are trying to appeal to owners with a browned-meat smell but again it seems artificial and false.

Since the switch my dog has been averse to the food, low in energy and spirit. It's a dramatic change which is especially unusual in a wire fox terrier. I'm switching him to a quality meat/rice kibble and he's already more energetic.

I cannot recommended feeding this stuff to your dog.
1111 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2016
I've been getting this food for my papillon for about two years now after my vet recommended it to me. Papillons tend to be prone to plaque and tartar build up on their teeth, so we want to be as proactive as we can to prevent it and minimize the need for costly dental cleanings.

The pieces of food are fairly big, they look like kibble for a large bred dog. This is apparently part of what makes them work, since my dog has to work harder to break up the large pieces to eat them and he uses his teeth differently than how he does when he eats his normal sized kibble. I actually don't even feed these to him as his normal food, I use them as treats instead. When I used to mix them in with his normal food he would just eat around them and leave them behind like a butthead. Now that I use them as treats he thinks they're special, so he'll actually eat them. Can't get the benefit of you can't get your dog to eat them, ha!

My dog goes in for a wellness check every six months, and at his last check up they said that his teeth were looking better. He will likely still need a cleaning by the end of the year, but he's three years old now and this will be his first one. I think that's pretty reasonable, considering that this breed could potentially need yearly cleanings. One small bag of this food lasts me an entire year, I just bought a new one and was shocked to see that I hadn't bought it for a year! So yeah, $12ish bucks for dog food vs $300+ for a cleaning... Total no brainer!!
on January 1, 2014
My little shi tzuh loves this food! The kernels are big, but he seems to enjoy chomping on them and breaking them down. Not sure if it is really cleaning his teeth, but he is a picky dog, and always leaves food in his bowl. Not this one! The price is a bit high, so as other reviewers suggested, I mix it with other dog food.
on May 24, 2016
The individual kibbles in this dog food are HUGE! There may be a dachshund on the cover but my chiweenie *almost* struggles to eat the individual bits... she does manage though, and I guess that is somewhat good for her teeth (and slows her down). She likes the food.
review image
on December 31, 2012
We mix this food in with his regular food since it's pretty pricey. Our dog always picks out the chunks of this first and sometimes gives us a look like why isn't it all the good stuff? Apparently he has caviar dreams.
on September 5, 2015
I have 6 Maltese/Yorkie-Poo's and all 6 love this food. I am surprised because the pieces of food are the size of a tater tot. They been eating it for a few weeks now and I can't wait to order again!! I was feeding my dogs a brand from our local big-box store and realized that many of them have propylene glycol in them. That is the additive in antifreeze. I am not happy about that especially since it was deemed unsafe in cat food and taken out. They claim it is safe in dog food in moderation. Well my dogs only eat dog food so how could they get it in moderation. I changed to science diet because I remember when I got my 1st dog it is what my vet recommended. I know I am happy with the change since there is real food in this dog food instead of other questionable ingredients that will plague my dogs lives down the line. Worth every penny!!
review image
on January 3, 2014
I use this as a treat for my picky beagle. She is always happy to gobble a few chunks down thus cleaning her teeth. She has turned up her nose at the regular teeth cleaning treats I have offered her so I am glad to finally have found one she likes.