Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services biglittlelies biglittlelies biglittlelies  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Size: 33|Color: Beige|Change

Showing 1-10 of 5,274 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,746 reviews
on February 6, 2010
After reading the reviews and losing all of my security deposit (and then some) from my last apartment due to my cat's constant scratching of the woodwork, I decided to try this item. I really had my doubts about my luck with it as my cat can be very fussy about being directed to do anything like where to scratch. At 1st, as some dissatisfied users reported, my cat showed absolutely no interest in the post. When he would scratch the woodwork, I would place him at the post and he not only showed no interest in the post, but even retracted his claws as a further insult.
I thought "another waste of money." Then I remembered that one of the posts I read in the reviews was from a lady who had the same disinterested reaction from her cat and who enticed her cat to scratch the post by teasing the cat with his favorite swinging cat toy on top of and around the post. Feeling I had nothing to lose, I gave it a try and I simply couldn't believe it. The cat dug his claws deep into the post while swatting at the cat toy and the rest is history. He became so interested in the scratching post that he forgot the toy. Afterwards, he tried to scratch the walls only a few times and just saying "no' sent him to the nearby cat toy. Another good recommendation I read was to place the scratching post near where most of his scratching behavior usually takes place.
I also want to comment on how sturdy this item is. It only took about a minute or so to assemble and is solidly constructed and not likely to tip over. I have a huge Ragdoll cat over 20 pounds of muscle and he hasn't knocked it over yet and he vigorously uses the post now. Sorry for this being so lengthy, but I hope it can help someone who, like me, was a sceptic and at first thought this isn't going to work. Thanks to whomever posted the hint about using the cat toy to provoke interest in the post. You saved me a lot of heartache.
3838 comments| 1,916 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2014
I knew I needed to get my cat a great scratching post. She was scratching up all of our furniture and the scratching post she had was too small and just not very nice! After we placed an order for new furniture, we knew we had to get her a post that would stop all of her scratching! After doing extensive research, I found out what is really important in a scratching post is size, it must be big and tall so that the cat can stretch out. It must be sturdy, so the cat cannot easily knock it over, and it should have a favorable scratching material (sisal is preferable). Well, this post meets all of those criteria.

So I bought two posts, this one - after finding this incredible deal on amazon (29.99 with free prime shipping when I purchased), and a very expensive competitor post developed by a veterinarian. A small note on cost - buy this from amazon! It is so much cheaper than at the pet stores, they cost upwards on 80 bucks at the pet stores, so stick with amazon! Anyway, my cat likes this post better than the more expensive competitor and it truly is perfect!

She no longer scratches any furniture at all, our new furniture looks perfect! When she wants to scratch, she goes straight to this post and scratches away, stretching out and fully enjoying herself. I never thought getting a good scratching post would solve her scratching problem, but it completely did! This was absolutely worth the investment.

A few notes - you can buy a topper for this scratching post so that your cat has a comfy perch to sit on. It is small and red and does not look very comfortable. I recommend making your own! This is what I did and my cat absolutely loves it! I simply got a piece of wood (you can size however you wish, mine is a nice square fit to her size), added a piece of foam and upholstered fabric on top! If you want your cat to have a scratching post and a nice little perch, this is the way to go. My cat lays on her perch on top of this every single day. She loves scratching her post, and loves laying on top of it. I never thought she would love it more than her expensive trees but she absolutely does. Also, we attached a small toy to the post. There are numerous things you can do to make this even better for your cat, although it is perfectly fine on its own!

In conclusion, this is a great scratching post and I cannot believe how cheap it is compared to others! It might just solve your problem if your cat wont stop scratching all your furniture! It absolutely solved mine. One more thing - my cat plays hard on this post and uses it multiple times a day. It has held up extremely well and has never once toppled over!
review image
33 comments| 189 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2006
My cats love this thing! It is tall enough for them to stretch out and scratch their little hearts out, and they climb all over it and even sit on top of it! Well worth the mony spent! And it has a wide base, so the thing doesnt even tilt when they attack it full force running full speed from across the room!

Every cat owner should get one of these for their cats. Declawing is cruel and who needs it with an awesome scratching post like this? I plan on ordering two more for other rooms in my house.

Update: June 2009...it has been three years and this scratching post is still standing. In fact, it still looks almost brand new. my cats use it daily =) HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!!!
review image
66 comments| 227 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2014
After purchasing a Meow Town Sisal Scratch N' Stow Scratching Cat Post, Natural a while back, I commented that my cats loved it, but it wasn't tall enough for my biggest cat to really stretch while scratching. Someone suggested the SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post, and I noted that I was off to buy it shortly... Well, I never got around to it, until now!

The scratching post mentioned above was on its last legs--my cats loved it so much, they ended up basically tearing its sisal covering apart. That just happened a few days ago, and once it did I had a light bulb moment, "ah ha! I need to order that taller post someone mentioned!" And so I did.

When the package arrived, I was like, HUH?! WHAT did I order from Amazon that's that BIG?!! I'm not kidding, the shipping box was huge. Once I ripped it open and realized what it was, I thought, wow, that's really big.

It took less than two minutes to put together. It comes with two dowels that you insert into pre-drilled holes to connect the two parts of the base. Then there are two screws to attach the base to the scratching post; they're large, so even though they're Phillips-head screws you can use either a Phillips- or flat-head screwdriver.

That's it. Then I rubbed some catnip on it, stood it up, and waited. One by one my six cats explored it, scratched it, rubbed it, just generally loved it. And I love its size! It's not only tall enough for my biggest boy to really stretch as he scratches, but it's also quite wide, so I'm hoping its covering will last a good long time by virtue of having a lot of space to scratch.

I'm going to post some pics of the old and new posts side by side. Seeing them like that really shows how big this thing is!
review image review image
I bought the Ultimate Scratching Post after having read so many recommendations. I have to admit, this post is a nice size. It's sturdy and attractive. However, my kitty will have nothing to do with it. I've tried enticing her with catnip and toys. I've even scratched it myself, which got her attention, but no go. She'd rather scratch my furniture. Considering the price, I regret buying it.

________________

UPDATE: Despite not being used, I left this post out near my furniture. After some months, my cat has discovered it and found that she likes it. So for those whose cats haven't taken to the post, there is hope. I will increase the star rating to four stars. Not all cats will take to this post right away; but if they do, it's a very nice, attractive post that's sturdy and holds up well.

________________

UPDATE #2: It's been about eight months now. After the initial disappointment, I am delighted that my cat loves this scratching post. I have actually bought another one, because one just isn't enough.

_________________

UPDATE 6/26/14: It's been four years. We still have both SmartCat scratching posts and they look as good as the day we bought them. The cat loves it and our furniture is spared. I bought the seat that goes on top but I returned it. As good as the post is, the seat failed. The cat will sit on the post without the seat anyway.

_________________

UPDATE 6/10/16: The cat uses both posts daily and they remain in excellent condition. That's amazing, considering how much the cat claws at them. Yes, she has caps on her claws, but at any given time, at least some of the claws are uncapped. They are sharp and can do serious damage; but even capped claws can ruin furniture, as her occasional forays onto leather can attest, so it's nice for her to have safe places to scratch.
1717 comments| 767 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2015
My two cats LOVE scratching posts. I used to buy them the round wrapped rope ones and they would last maybe 3-4 months before being completely destroyed into a hairy, shedding mess. I finally bought one of these scratchers 3 years ago after passing it in the store several times due to it's cost (it's MUCH cheaper on Amazon without shipping). But I was so sick of having to buy $20-$30 ones that they just completely wore out. As you can see from the photo - the 3 year old scratcher is on the left and the one I just opened is on the right. THREE YEARS OLD and it BARELY looks worn down at all! It never sheds. I have never found a single piece of twine anywhere. They use it probably 15-20 times a day between the two of them (not including the 8 or so hours I'm gone from home every day) so it is heavily used. As for it's stability - I honestly have no idea how a cat that isn't medium dog sized can knock it over. The base is incredibly wide and solid. Mine has always sat on plush carpet. I've run into the thing before and at most it's scooted a little bit. It's very heavy and sturdy - I'm not sure how cats are managing to knock it over without completely ramming into it. I bought a new one simply because I moved into a bigger house and needed a second one in another part of it since I knew they loved the old one so much. It's easily the best scratcher I have ever bought and considering how long they last it is DEFINITELY worth the price. Now I just wish they'd make cat trees using this woven mat sisal as it seems to last much longer than the wrapped rope...My poor cat tree has been cut down quite a bit trying to get the most out of it.

I have not bought the seat for the top, I've heard plenty of mixed reviews. My smaller cat will jump up there as it is and sit. My larger cat has no interest. I definitely suggest getting the post first and having it for a while before thinking about getting the seat - you might not even need it.
on April 9, 2016
I'm on here because I'm buying another one of these; according to Amazon I purchased my first one about 5 1/2 years ago. Considering the whole purpose of this item is to get damaged day in and day out, that's impressive. If you're wondering whether it's worth it to splurge for something like this versus buying those horrible cardboard scratchers every week, the answer is an emphatic yes.

I've got two cats that use this multiple times daily. It's heavy enough to be used by larger cats - one of mine is ~ 15lbs (though I will say I put mine against a wall so I cannot guarantee it wouldn't tip over if you've got a 25lb Maine Coon or something). It's built rock solid and has survived multiple moves, and even now, though I'm buying a new one, it could probably be turned around and used for another year.

The package is pretty large, and relatively (relatively) heavy, so it's not necessarily something you can send to an office very easily, but it's definitely worth it.
on October 3, 2010
I am a first-time cat owner, so I have not bought any other cat scratching posts to compare this scratching post with, but I am glad I made this purchase for several reasons.

First, and most obviously, I love this post because but my cat uses this it all of the time. I didn't have to train him to use it, since he likes to scratch things (my laundry basket is another favorite of his) but I do reinforce his scratching behavior at THIS post by feeding him treats when he sits on top of the post, and stuffing small dry treats into the two seams on each side of the post (which causes him to cling to the post as he tries to dig the treat out with his little teeth). Interestingly, I got him this post when he was 6 months old, before he was showing any significant scratching behavior, and he has yet to scratch up any of my furniture other than the laundry basket, which is ok by me.

Second, I love this scratching post because it keeps his claws CLEAN. He doesn't scratch me often or on purpose, but sometimes, we will get a little too excited chasing after the string/toy/ribbon and pounce on the hand pulling the string/toy/ribbon. Before I got the post, the scratch(es) would inflame and be itchy for days. Now that he has the post, his occasional scratches don't get gross.

Third, the post is very well made. It is pretty heavy, so my cat can't tip it over or push it around as he's scratching (he's about 9.5 pounds), even on our wooden floors. The plant fiber that it's made out of also appeals to my cat, and stands up to his constant use.

Overall, I recommend this scratching post to anyone who is looking for a sturdy, heavy duty, large-but-not-too-large scratching post (I can hear him using the scratching post right now).
review image review image review image
0Comment| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 10, 2016
Very large (see pic) so plan out where it's going to go before you buy. I knew the measurements and still had a bit of a "whoa" moment when it was assembled. It took my cat a while to warm up to it (about a month) but now she uses it all the time. Possible problem for some buyers: the tan portions are not wood; they are a dense and heavy duty feeling particleboard/composite sort of material. This is a very sturdy and hefty cat scratch monument.
on December 20, 2015
I purchased two of these scratching posts on 1/14/2014. As I write this, that's nearly 2 years ago. I've attached pictures to show what the posts look like today after two years of scratching by our 4 cats. You can see that the material is only slightly frayed and still securely affixed to the pillar. Our cats are between 16 and 17 years old so we've been through a lot of scratching posts over the years. None have compared in terms of durability. What I love about these posts (and our cats love too) is that the cats are able to fully stretch while scratching. These posts get a work-out in our home. One of our cats' favorite games is to claw after a little fur ball that I attach to a piece of yarn, wrap around the post, then pull in jerky motions to get the cats' attention. They jump after the ball and yarn with claws out and dig right into the posts. Our cats are large, weighing about 16 pounds with one exercise-challenged cat weighing in at about 20 pounds. The posts never tip or move even when our cats have their full weight against them. Because our posts are on bare wood floors, I did attach small pieces of felt on the corner of each base so I could move them myself when vaccuming. Overall, these are definitely worth the cost because they last a long time. I will definitely purchase them again when ours finally wear out.
review image review image

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.