Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 245 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 255 reviews
on March 29, 2015
If I could give it a zero, I would. I purchased three of these for our club. Before we could use them to do any soldering, as soon as they were plugged inad heated up, the plastic handles on all three MELTED!!! The irons were starting to list at a dangerous angle from the handle, so we had to switch them off. I was afraid that the things would bend in half while we were trying to solder wires. What is worse is that the same thing happened on all three irons, so it is not a defective item. The plastic is simply not the right kind to use in this application. I'd say the manufacturer got confused between thermosetting and thermoplastic plastics.

I have been using soldering irons for the past thirty years or more, but this is the first time the iron melted through the base! If you find it hard to believe, just check the attached photo. Even Radio Shack irons have lasted me for years. These lasted about ten minutes. MInd you, I had placed them inside those coiled soldering iron holders thinking they would be safe when not being used.

They do heat up correctly, and maybe they can be used for soldering, but I would be concerned about burning things around it more that getting a good soldered joint.

By the way, this review is only about the iron. The seller shipped them promptly and they reached me on time, so I have no complaints about the service. Just that the product itself is unsafe to use, in my opinion. I am returning all three of them.
review image
on November 7, 2012
It gets hot enough to melt solder, but that's about the only positive thing to say about these. They get WAY too hot when plugged in for a few minutes - so much so that they start to oxidize and discolor the tip and the rest of the metal after a little while. It also means that solder behaves poorly on them (won't stick to the tip well since it's oxidized), and it's really easy to do serious damage to the components you're soldering or even the pcb itself from the heat -- I'm fairly experienced at soldering but ended up accidentally burning through a chunk of solder mask and then lifting a pad because I didn't realize how ridiculously hot the tip was.

There are two reasons I'm giving this 2 stars rather than just 1. First, the included metal stand, while cheapy, was pretty useful. Second, they actually work fine if you can run them at about 50% power -- I taught a soldering seminar with 5 of these hooked to an electronically-controlled outlet switching on and off every 5 seconds (50% duty cycle) and they worked fine then, with no heat issues like before.

Overall, these get WAY too hot if you plan to just plug them straight into the wall, but might be worth purchasing only if you have some way to reduce the power to them.
44 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2015
This is obviously not the top of the line soldering iron, but it deserves a rave review for serving the purpose for about 6 bucks!
I am a beginner, just had to solder some connections for under cabinett LED light strips, worked like a charm!
Has to be the best bang for the buck I've gotten in a long time....oh, and it comes with it's own little stand, who could ask for more?
on August 9, 2016
DO NOT BUY! Literally started smoking after I plugged it in and left it plugged in for like 5 minutes, before it had even came in contact with sauter. After I had unplugged it, I went to use it the next day and it wouldn't even heat up. Filed a return, it took 3 days for them to recieve the sautering iron and 2 weeks before the refund was posted to my account. Overall ordering this was a headache!
on January 18, 2014
I was so excited when I found this item on amazon at such an affordable price. It looks exactly as shown and is packaged the same. The seller is right on the ball with shipping, I received it quickly. HOWEVER, I did not get through my first small project using it. It started to smell extremely hot and then burnt out in just a matter of minutes. I went to the store and found the exact same item, purchased it AGAIN, brought it home and had the exact same experience. This time I immediately brought it back to the store for a refund. Save yourself the time, energy and aggravation, (not to mention your sanity) and spend just a bit more for a better made product, you'll be glad you did!
on April 1, 2013
I'm new at soldering, so I'll preface this review with that warning. I also bought this soldering iron for soldering guitar electronics. There was conflicting information on what wattage I would need, so I bought this 30watt iron. I now realize I may have needed a higher wattage. This was not the problem I had with the iron, but it is the reason my soldering job took so long.

The iron had a distinct smell when plugged in and it started warming up. I figured it was because it was the first use. I started to use the iron to desolder pots, and found it taking forever for the iron to melt the old solder. Every time it got hot enough to melt solder, it would cool seconds later and I would have to wait for the iron to heat up again. The same was true when I started to solder the new pots. I would get one connection done and I'd have to wait a minute or so to do the next one. Once this started happening I assumed I had bought the wrong wattage iron and I didn't fault the iron for the problem. However, by the time I was done with all the soldering, the entire shaft and tip of the soldering iron had turned brown and burnt looking. The iron also gathered solder on the tip that would not come off, which I'm not sure is normal.

I suppose this iron would be fine for smaller jobs, but I don't think it should have such a bad smell while in use and it probably shouldn't have scorch marks after an hour on a small guitar electronics job. I won't knock it too much, it got the job done, but if you're using it for guitar electronics do yourself a favor and get a decent 45 or 60 watt.
on June 3, 2015
This is a cheap, crude, almost disposable tool. I needed to solder some LEDs for a light fixture I was building and needed a soldering iron. Since I've never soldered before, nor do I plan to solder anything in the near future, I didn't want to invest in a nice tool for a one time use. This thing was cheap, it worked well enough for my job (about 50 solder points), and that's about it. The tip was pretty much shot by the end. The cord is also about 2 feed long, so that adds some inconvenience. Bottom line is that if you just need something for a one time use, this is perfect. I was able to use it for my task and toss it in the trash with no regrets.
on February 15, 2015
This iron was purchased for a local Boy Scout troop working on the electronics merit badge. The iron had to be good enough to solder the printed circuit board and it was fine. It took a little while to really get to temperature, but I prefer that as I like to tin the iron from cold, especially when new.

The project includes four 2512 SMT resistors, DIPs, and other standard through hole parts and did just fine. I think with some care smaller SMT parts could be done, but it would be pushing the limits.

I only wish there had been information on where to buy a replacement tip. The stand is cheesy, but it works.
on February 28, 2015
for the price, you cannot go wrong with this souldering iron. I have been trying to fix four or five of my daughter's toys that wires have become disattached, battery packs or battery compartments wires have come loose, etc. This soldering iron coupled with a good quality solder has saved many things that would have more than likely going in the trash. Me being a conservative non wasteful, earth friendlyperson, I love the fact that I can repair things with this at such a cheap price, without compromising quality. I highly recommend this, and I have had no problems after using it many times.
on April 30, 2015
This iron isn't the worst one I've ever used, but the price matches that. It does its job, but it takes a bit for it to heat up, and the plug is a bit loose in the outlet by a lot. Actually considering replacing the plug but you could really just bend the prongs out a little and it would be ok. Although the heating time might just be due to the first heat up, it will smoke for the first heat up which I assume is normal just have it in a well ventilated area. Also I received the black one of these. Bottom line not the best but if you need an iron go ahead and get it.