Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 22, 2014
This is a very good ice cream machine for its class (home use, freezer bowl). I'd owned the 1 1/2 quart Cusinart model and liked it a lot. Then someone in my house put the drum in the dishwasher and I found out when I tried to make a batch of ice cream that wouldn't freeze. Using the 1 1/2 quart model I was always scaling down recipes or hovering over the ice cream as it churned with a spoon, stealing spoonfuls ice cream as it threatened to overflow the ice cream maker because I overfilled it (not that I really minded that). I like the 2 quart size for those reasons,

If you've never owned one of these types of ice cream makers before, here's an overview. There are two main parts as far as what makes the ice cream. There is a paddle and a drum, aka the freezer bowl. The night before you intend to make ice cream (or earlier) park your clean freezer bowl in the coldest part of your freezer overnight. This is essential that the bowl be frozen through with no sloshing sound. This drum is what chills the ice cream.

When you're ready to make the ice cream, put the frozen freezer bowl into the base of the ice cream machine, put the paddle in and put the top on, start the machine and then pour your cold (repeat COLD) ice cream mixture into the freezer bowl as it runs. The cold of the freezer bowl chills the ice cream mixture, the paddle scraps the sides of the freezer bowl as it turns which scrapes off the freezing ice cream incorporating it back into the ice cream mixture and churns air into the mixture. Let the machine run for 20ish minutes. Give it a peak every once in a while because watched ice cream never freezes ;). When it's done, you'll hear the motor struggle a bit more because of the thickness of the ice cream, the ice cream will be soft serve consistency and will be done as far as its adventure with the machine. From here you could eat it as soft serve, or scoop out the ice cream into a freezer safe container and freeze it for a few hours. let the freezer bowl warm up a little, then wash by hand with warm soapy water and a soft sponge or cloth.

The negative comments that people have left seem mostly to be due to them not understanding how this machine works or that they expected something different, or both. Yes, you have to freeze the bowl overnight -- that's how this type of ice cream machine chills ice cream. It doesnt have its own refridgeration unit. If you want that, then pay 5x+ the price for a different type of machine. No, this machine doesn't produce solid hard ice cream -- it produces soft serve consistency because it churns and you can't churn rock solid ice cream. And You MUST WASH THE FREEZER BOWL BY HAND. This isn't a "to keep it looking it's best" issue like you sneak your pots and pans in the dishwasher even though you shouldn't -- the heat from the dishwasher will destroy the freezing liquid in the bowl and the bowl will never make ice cream again. You can tell that a well meaning relative put your bowl in the dishwasher because the bowl will still sound sloshy even though it's been freezing for days.

The It Never Froze My Ice Cream comments -- the person either put their freezer bowl in the dishwasher or the bowl wasn't cold enough. Or the freezer bowl was defective.
The It Won't Make Ice Cream Immediately, It Makes Soft Serve...comments -- that's true, but that's how this machine works.

Some have commented that they have to let the finished ice cream (after being I the freezer) sit on the counter for 15 minutes until they can scoop it. My suggestions are: 1. Use more fat in your recipe, 2. Let it churn more air as the machine runs, 3. Know that most commercial ice creams have a ton of what they call "overhead" which is basically air in the ice cream. You may notice that the same volume of two different brands of ice cream weigh differently. Ultra premium brands like Haagen Daaz have little overhead compared to, say most grocery store brands. Lower quality ice creams also have thickeners and stabilizers that hold the ice cream together but keep it from really forming solid. Ever leave a bowl of ice cream on the counter overnight and the next day it's a little melted but mostly in the same shape? That's the stabilizers. All of this makes commercial ice cream soft and easy to scoop even though it's frozen. Take heart that better quality ice creams like the one you are making are naturally harder when frozen, and therefore may take a sturdy ice cream scoop and perhaps a little muscle to scoop. On properly made ice creams (enough fat, enough churning) I've never made a batch too hard to scoop straight from the freezer.

In short, this machine works beautifully and its make quality ice cream. I'm very happy with it.
501 helpful votes
502 helpful votes
1212 comments|Report abuse
Enthusiast: Star Warson February 12, 2017
This is my first ice cream maker. I had been looking into getting one for a while and was suckered into getting this one from all of the positive reviews. I'm happy to report that I was not disappointed. The machine is a little noisy, but that's the only drawback that I can really think of. The first ice cream we tried to make was a twist on Ben n Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream made from real cherries and dark chocolate chips. The ice cream froze well and was absolutely delicious. Since then we've also made blueberry cheesecake with a graham cracker twist running through it and a chocolate brownie that didn't last two nights! We usually store the ice cream in a glass loaf pan for easy scooping or in recycled Talenti containers for easy portion control. Either way, it makes fantastic ice cream that you can make as healthy (or unhealthy!) as you want, and overall it's much cheaper than constantly buying pints of ice cream in the store. Definitely worth the price and I would definitely recommend it.
review imagereview imagereview image
84 helpful votes
85 helpful votes
on July 4, 2016
O-M-G i can't say enough good things about this ice cream maker. Thanks to the feedback and suggestions from other reviewers, i've had delicious ice cream every day since i bought it! i didn't try the recipes that came with because i bought Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book, and have loved everything i made from it. i've also been inspired to create or tweak some recipes of my own (hello lavender chocolate chip - or - persian pistachio!) I've recommended this to several friends, family, and even strangers - just be aware that the price seems to jump up and down as much as $30! today it's $54.99 (which is what i paid) and yet a week ago it was round $85 - whaaa?!!

(pictured - fresh strawberry from the farmer's market made me delirious!)
review image
134 helpful votes
135 helpful votes
on July 29, 2015
I few people have claimed it doesn't chill enough. I have no problems at all and each batch finishes with plenty of "chill power" left to go. Your freezer needs to be well below freezing to get it cold enough. I keep it in the freezer all the time so it is ready to go. Simply rinse with water when done and put it back in the freezer. My friends go nuts when I have ice cream, You can't buy better ice cream if you follow a good recipe. (thanks to Alton Brown's recipes(I can say that here, can't I?)) The only gripes I have are 1) I wish the churning paddle scrapped closer to the walls of the bowl, and 2) this is my biggest gripe, no way does this crank out 2qts. Not even close. My first batch of ice cream was strawberry and I poured in about 1-1/2 qts of batter into it. When I came to check on it, I discovered that the batter expands as it freezes and half frozen ice cream was oozing and flowing out the top and all down the sides. Now I'm standing there with a spoon eating ice cream like Lucille Ball in a chocolate factory trying desperately to keep up with the overflow. I can think of worse things, but each batch only fills 2 and 2/3's pint size containers. Not even close to 2 qts.
review image
175 helpful votes
176 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on February 12, 2016
In love width this machine
review imagereview image
13 helpful votes
14 helpful votes
on May 30, 2017
I am no in love with this item as I thought I would be. I do like it very much, it is easier to use than my old ceder bucket top motor ice cream maker. I find that it does not thicken the ice cream as well as the cheaper ceder bucket one. I do love the finish and the convenience of this machine. The cord stores neatly in the bottom. It does make good ice cream, but you do have to put it in the freezer for the best results. Even with its minor flaws it is a great addition to my kitchen and you don't need ice. I do wish it had a cover for the opening at the top. There is nothing like homemade ice cream. I may have to run it longer than 25 minutes to get a thicker consistency to serve as a soft serve.
on April 19, 2017
LOVE LOVE LOVE this thing. Loved it so much I bought it for my 75 year old parents and they also love it so we got one for my sister and she LOVES it. This thing makes icecream in 30 minutes and tastes like being a kid again. We also got this great book called "Lick It" which has some great icecream recipes that include almond milk options and low sugar options. We just keep the inner tank in our freezer all the time and when we want icecream we throw the 4 ingredients together and its ready in 30 minutes. It is a little bulky so if you are limited on space that might be a consideration. It also makes slushes and sorbets and shakes and etc.
1 helpful vote
on October 16, 2014
Today I made my first batch of ice cream with this machine, and I am impressed. The machine was quieter than my kitchen aid, which I was not expecting. I had a (quiet) tv show playing on my computer just inches from the machine and was able to hear the show just fine. If noise is a concern for you, buy this machine, it wasn't too loud. The ice cream was a great consistency and had a texture that would rival store bought, so no complaints there.

I put the bucket portion in the freezer last night (with saran wrap to avoid any ice crystals), then today it only took a few minutes to mix the Basic Vanilla Recipe (included in the manual...only sugar, milk, cream, and vanilla extract), pour it in the machine, and let it run for 30 minutes. Once finished, the ice cream was at the perfect temperature for serving (like you had left frozen-solid ice cream on the counter to thaw for 15 minutes). I put it into a pre-chilled container and popped it in the freezer. It couldn't have been easier.

There was less than an 1/8th of an inch of super frozen ice cream left in the bottom, at most it was 2 tablespoons (which I happily devoured with a spoon). Contrary to another reviewer, I felt that there was very little 'wasted'. The ice cream was easy to scoop out (I used a wooden spoon). No mess, no hassle. The shape of the plastic beater made it easy to clean. The frozen bowl was easy to wash as well, but once removed from the warm water, the water droplets left on the inside became frozen quickly. I left the bowl to thaw on the counter...once thawed, I wiped the inside dry and popped it back in the freezer. The top and base didn't need to be cleaned. From start to finish, the ice cream took less than 45 minutes to make...and 30 minutes of that was waiting for the machine to finish.

I had considered the kitchen aid attachment, as it was roughly the same price...but I'm glad I chose to buy a separate unit. It's compact, beautiful, solidly made, and easy to store (the cord wraps up in the bottom).

I'm extremely happy with this purchase, I did a great deal of research before I bought it, and I would suggest it to anyone who was looking to buy an electric ice cream maker!
on January 24, 2015
I love this ice cream maker but I order in September but really started using it in October I use it maybe once a week sometimes less.
I plug it in this morning on 1/24/15 and it would not run nothing sounds like motor. Just dead want do anything but make a noise at beginning.
It really is bad to buy something and it last less than a year. So for 3 months i use this product it is not worth the money. I am going to try to notify the company. But it is probably a lost cause. My daughter was going to order one I told her not to now
5 helpful votes
on May 12, 2017
Nice machine. Pretty basic - turn on put in ice cream base wait for it... wait for it... ice cream. Made orange pineapple and my friends loved it. Distributed the pineapple really well throughout the ice cream.
2 helpful votes