Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,647 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,131 reviews
on November 22, 2014
This is a very good ice cream machine for its class (home use, freezer bowl). I'd owned the 1 1/2 quart Cusinart model and liked it a lot. Then someone in my house put the drum in the dishwasher and I found out when I tried to make a batch of ice cream that wouldn't freeze. Using the 1 1/2 quart model I was always scaling down recipes or hovering over the ice cream as it churned with a spoon, stealing spoonfuls ice cream as it threatened to overflow the ice cream maker because I overfilled it (not that I really minded that). I like the 2 quart size for those reasons,

If you've never owned one of these types of ice cream makers before, here's an overview. There are two main parts as far as what makes the ice cream. There is a paddle and a drum, aka the freezer bowl. The night before you intend to make ice cream (or earlier) park your clean freezer bowl in the coldest part of your freezer overnight. This is essential that the bowl be frozen through with no sloshing sound. This drum is what chills the ice cream.

When you're ready to make the ice cream, put the frozen freezer bowl into the base of the ice cream machine, put the paddle in and put the top on, start the machine and then pour your cold (repeat COLD) ice cream mixture into the freezer bowl as it runs. The cold of the freezer bowl chills the ice cream mixture, the paddle scraps the sides of the freezer bowl as it turns which scrapes off the freezing ice cream incorporating it back into the ice cream mixture and churns air into the mixture. Let the machine run for 20ish minutes. Give it a peak every once in a while because watched ice cream never freezes ;). When it's done, you'll hear the motor struggle a bit more because of the thickness of the ice cream, the ice cream will be soft serve consistency and will be done as far as its adventure with the machine. From here you could eat it as soft serve, or scoop out the ice cream into a freezer safe container and freeze it for a few hours. let the freezer bowl warm up a little, then wash by hand with warm soapy water and a soft sponge or cloth.

The negative comments that people have left seem mostly to be due to them not understanding how this machine works or that they expected something different, or both. Yes, you have to freeze the bowl overnight -- that's how this type of ice cream machine chills ice cream. It doesnt have its own refridgeration unit. If you want that, then pay 5x+ the price for a different type of machine. No, this machine doesn't produce solid hard ice cream -- it produces soft serve consistency because it churns and you can't churn rock solid ice cream. And You MUST WASH THE FREEZER BOWL BY HAND. This isn't a "to keep it looking it's best" issue like you sneak your pots and pans in the dishwasher even though you shouldn't -- the heat from the dishwasher will destroy the freezing liquid in the bowl and the bowl will never make ice cream again. You can tell that a well meaning relative put your bowl in the dishwasher because the bowl will still sound sloshy even though it's been freezing for days.

The It Never Froze My Ice Cream comments -- the person either put their freezer bowl in the dishwasher or the bowl wasn't cold enough. Or the freezer bowl was defective.
The It Won't Make Ice Cream Immediately, It Makes Soft Serve...comments -- that's true, but that's how this machine works.

Some have commented that they have to let the finished ice cream (after being I the freezer) sit on the counter for 15 minutes until they can scoop it. My suggestions are: 1. Use more fat in your recipe, 2. Let it churn more air as the machine runs, 3. Know that most commercial ice creams have a ton of what they call "overhead" which is basically air in the ice cream. You may notice that the same volume of two different brands of ice cream weigh differently. Ultra premium brands like Haagen Daaz have little overhead compared to, say most grocery store brands. Lower quality ice creams also have thickeners and stabilizers that hold the ice cream together but keep it from really forming solid. Ever leave a bowl of ice cream on the counter overnight and the next day it's a little melted but mostly in the same shape? That's the stabilizers. All of this makes commercial ice cream soft and easy to scoop even though it's frozen. Take heart that better quality ice creams like the one you are making are naturally harder when frozen, and therefore may take a sturdy ice cream scoop and perhaps a little muscle to scoop. On properly made ice creams (enough fat, enough churning) I've never made a batch too hard to scoop straight from the freezer.

In short, this machine works beautifully and its make quality ice cream. I'm very happy with it.
66 comments| 325 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2017
This is my first ice cream maker. I had been looking into getting one for a while and was suckered into getting this one from all of the positive reviews. I'm happy to report that I was not disappointed. The machine is a little noisy, but that's the only drawback that I can really think of. The first ice cream we tried to make was a twist on Ben n Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream made from real cherries and dark chocolate chips. The ice cream froze well and was absolutely delicious. Since then we've also made blueberry cheesecake with a graham cracker twist running through it and a chocolate brownie that didn't last two nights! We usually store the ice cream in a glass loaf pan for easy scooping or in recycled Talenti containers for easy portion control. Either way, it makes fantastic ice cream that you can make as healthy (or unhealthy!) as you want, and overall it's much cheaper than constantly buying pints of ice cream in the store. Definitely worth the price and I would definitely recommend it.
review image review image review image
on July 4, 2016
O-M-G i can't say enough good things about this ice cream maker. Thanks to the feedback and suggestions from other reviewers, i've had delicious ice cream every day since i bought it! i didn't try the recipes that came with because i bought Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book, and have loved everything i made from it. i've also been inspired to create or tweak some recipes of my own (hello lavender chocolate chip - or - persian pistachio!) I've recommended this to several friends, family, and even strangers - just be aware that the price seems to jump up and down as much as $30! today it's $54.99 (which is what i paid) and yet a week ago it was round $85 - whaaa?!!

(pictured - fresh strawberry from the farmer's market made me delirious!)
review image
0Comment| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2015
I few people have claimed it doesn't chill enough. I have no problems at all and each batch finishes with plenty of "chill power" left to go. Your freezer needs to be well below freezing to get it cold enough. I keep it in the freezer all the time so it is ready to go. Simply rinse with water when done and put it back in the freezer. My friends go nuts when I have ice cream, You can't buy better ice cream if you follow a good recipe. (thanks to Alton Brown's recipes(I can say that here, can't I?)) The only gripes I have are 1) I wish the churning paddle scrapped closer to the walls of the bowl, and 2) this is my biggest gripe, no way does this crank out 2qts. Not even close. My first batch of ice cream was strawberry and I poured in about 1-1/2 qts of batter into it. When I came to check on it, I discovered that the batter expands as it freezes and half frozen ice cream was oozing and flowing out the top and all down the sides. Now I'm standing there with a spoon eating ice cream like Lucille Ball in a chocolate factory trying desperately to keep up with the overflow. I can think of worse things, but each batch only fills 2 and 2/3's pint size containers. Not even close to 2 qts.
review image
22 comments| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2016
The scraper does not reach the sides or bottom of the container. You lose nearly half of an inch of your ingredients on the bottom and 1/4 inch on the sides...impossible to scrape off afterwards and doesn't mix so its completely wasted money and ingredients. :( Wouldn't recommend.
on May 31, 2017
I was directed to buy this model buy the Cuisinart sales representative on the phone, after first purchasing the Cuisinart ICE-100 Compressor Ice Cream and Gelato Maker, and realizing that it had a coated aluminium interior. She told me that the only model that was still being made with a steel bowl was the Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Cream Maker. Which I bought last month. I also bought an additional "stainless steel" bowl for the unit. Within the first week of use, the interior of the bowl was scratched and it became painfully obvious that this was not in fact steel, but rather some kind of coated plastic. In my continued research I have seen it said the bowl is aluminum coated with Xylan (polypropylene). This is deceptive marketing and obviously confusing to Cuisinart's own customer support staff, who insisted this bowl was made of stainless steel. Very disappointed to have invested this kind of money and trust, in a product I am unable to use.
on August 18, 2016
I bought this ice cream maker to replace my old cruisin art 1.5Q maker that finally gave out after nearly 15 years.

Not much to say about it. It's easy to use and clean, makes a goodly amount of ice cream in a relatively short amount of time.

I had to knock off 2 stars for the simple fact that it is LOUD! My old machine wasn't silent, but it wasn't this loud. I live in a 2-story house and can hear it upstairs on the other side of the house from the kitchen.

Seriously, Cuisinart. For a second generation machine, it should be quieter, not louder than the previous model. Not sure if I'll use it as much because of this.
on May 25, 2017
My husband bought this icecream maker for me as a gift. I liked that the insert could be left in the freezer indefinitely and that it was very easy to clean. However, I was very off-put by the size of the appliance. The base is very big for the amount of icecream that is created. Although for a family of two icecream-eaters, it made enough for several servings. I wish the icecream could be stored in the vessel it's made in though, instead of requiring a separate freezer-safe and size-appropriate container.

The design is very simple, with an on/off switch on the bottom. Even with this simple construction, the switch broke after the first use, even though we followed all instructions to the letter. The on/off switch would turn and seem like it was working, but whenever we switched it to "off", the machine would keep turning! Not very safe. We can still use it by only plugging in the machine when we want it to be "on", but I was disappointed it broke so early for seemingly no reason.
on September 27, 2016
It works okay but it's kind of a pain to use. You also have this thing in your freezer because you want to be ready to make ice-cream the next time. Who plans that well or wants to wait 8 hours to make a batch? Also, the noise is pretty bad, Guantanamo Bay bad. You want to torture a terrorist? Make them ice-cream in this bad boy. They'll be begging for a brain freeze to end their life.
on March 19, 2017
Been wanting to make home made ice cream for a long time. After looking at many different brands and types I decided on this one. Package came swiftly and was packaged with care. Simple set up out of the box and it comes with quiet a few recipes although we bought an ice cream recipe book. After freezing the inner liner over night it was ice cream time. Very simple set up and after about 5 minutes of prep time I poured everything in the liner. Turned it on and set my timer for 35 minutes.

The anticipation was killing me but well worth it. The ice cream came out rich and smooth. If you want it "harder" then just put in the freezer for a few hours after mixing. Home made ice cream is not only better for you, bc of the simple ingredients, but taste so much better then store bought. And trust me I'm an ice cream junky!

If you want the smoothest, richest, tastiest ice cream then buy this. And if you have kids it's well worth it as they get to make it with you and have so much fun doing it!