Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Citizen Men's BJ7000-52E Nighthawk Stainless Steel Eco-Drive Watch
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on April 23, 2006
Sweet watch, I've been wearing mine for 4 months.

I'm an Environmental Engineering Student and I also currently own an Omega Speedmaster ($2100 graduation gift long ago) and a Titanium Pro-Trek Casio Triple Sensor Watch (Compass, Altimeter & Temperature $295.00) that I used for my previous job as an outdoors wilderness instructor.

Both those watches are extreme (the Casio being too rugged, big and bulky the Omega being very freaking expensive) for everyday use and wanted something that suited my keen personality, short budget and modern taste.

I never liked anything in terms of jewelry or watches from department stores or malls, but when I walked into MACY's during Christmas shopping last december at the local mall I saw these Eco-Drive watches for the first time.

It has always been my opinion that Citizen makes very old fashioned timepieces, yet the Nighthawk Eco-Drive is very different and far more classy than any other Citizen watch on the shelf. Some of the other newer Eco-Drive watches also look edgy and fresher. But the nighthawk captures a boldness with it's appearancethat is very timeless. Needless to say, I tried it on and was sold.

The features are amazing, apart from all the other "timekeeping-based and solar powered-based features you can read about everywhere else on the internet, the Nighthawk also has a multi-functional Slide Rule. This is not really praised or mentioned anywhere else so I will tell you what it is, what it does and why it makes owning this watch very cool!

With the slide rule you can calculate your car's fuel consumption, average speed/velocity and the time you will arrive at your destination, you can also multiply and divide numbers, calculate ratio's into percentages, integers and decimals, covert liters to gallons, pounds to kilograms as well as other metric conversions. The slide rule also performs a few more complicated calculations that involve airplanes and nautical vessels that are beyond my understanding.

At any rate, these calculations can be done by simply rotating the NightHawk's bezel and matching specific arrows at certain points along the dial. (If you don't believe me, you can download the Nighhawk's PDF manual and read up on it for yourself.)

In fact, it is easier than using a calculator and clears up the big mystery of what people used before computers and electronic calculators were invented; they used the "Slide Rule".

Being a grad student, I've read about the slide rules in a variety of classes but I never thought that I would own one on my next watch. I also would have never guessed that the slide rule is so efficient and easier to use than the graphics calculators we use in school.

The only negatives cocerning the Slide Rule feature on the NightHawk are the numbers on the slide rule dial are small and angled inwards so that they are tricky to read without tilting the watch around to get a good view of the numbers. Also the slide rule only approximates and produces whole numbers for some of the more advanced calculations.

Overall, I found that the useful geek-features, outdoorsman durability, everyday comfort and eco-friendliness to be well synthesized in the classy steel body of the Nighthawk Eco-Drive.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
77 comments| 302 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2012
I've got a small collection of watches (Citizen, Seiko, Orient, Accutron, & Casio), and I've had another eco-drive since around 2002 which is showing its age. I recently bought an Orient Blue Mako, so I wasn't really looking to buy another watch. But this kept catching my eye and I kept finding nothing buy positive reviews so I gave in to temptation.

The watch arrived quickly and my first impressions were very positive. The face is very complex on first glance, but you quickly note the position of the main hour & minute hand and "get" the time very quickly. You can really stare up close at the dial though, there is a ton of detail (more on this in a bit). Overall the "look" of this watch is very appealing. I didn't mention I bought to my wife, and the first night I was wearing it she took a long look and said, "That's a really good looking watch. I really like that" (she normally doesn't pay any attention to my watches. She liked the way it looked so much, she didn't give me too much grief about having bought an Orient the week before!

The bracelet is very nice for a watch in this price range, it's all solid stainless links, but where the bracelet joins the watches' lugs it is just a folded link, not a solid link. The folder over clasp works well and is very secure. I have a large wrist and the bracelet is PLENTY long enough for me. I actually had to make it a smidge smaller with the micro-adjustment on the clasp. The bracelet is subtly brushed, and so far seems to be wearing well (I work at a desk & use a computer all day). There are some desk marks, but they're very minor. The Orient I just bought scratches much more easily, so I'm happy with the durability of the bracelet so far.

The bezel on this watch is a slide rule. There is a crown at the 8 o'clock position that controls the movement of the bezel. It's extremely smooth and seems to let you move it in very fine increments. You can use the slide rule for division, multiplication, unit conversion, and rate/time/distance calculations. It works and you can do it. It's sort of a neat party trick, but I doubt I'll ever find myself in a situation where I was relying on my watch's slide rule to save the day. This watch is billed as a flight watch so maybe there are still some pilots who do things the old-fashioned way and do their calculations by hand? If you want to know how to use the slide rule check out this video: [...]

There is also a GMT face. You can see it on the left side (from 6 to 12) with white & red numbers. There is a separate, double-ended hand with a red-tipped and white-tipped indicator. Out of the box it shows the 24-hour time (white for 00-12 and red for 13 - 24). You can set this to a different hour to have a true GMT indicator. It's a nice feature, and looks interesting, but I don't find I pay much attention to this "sub-dial" really other than what it adds to overall appeal (for me anyway).

The performance of my watch has been good. It's quartz, so it will be more accurate than an automatic watch. It does not sync itself to any of the atomic clocks (like the Citizen Skyhawk does) so I expect I'll eventually have to adjust it for accuracy one of these days.

The lume on the watch is nice and bright - a blue color which is different from the traditional green lume. I haven't gone out of my way to to expose it to bright light, but it's easy enough to read in the middle of the night when I wake up. The lume overall on my Seiko Black Monster is stronger, longer, but this is no problem to see in a dark room even after 5+ hours. I think the size of the hour & minute hand really help; they're very thick and hold a lot of lume.

I am very happy to have this watch in my collection, but my wife gave me the "oh really" look since I just bought another watch about a week before this one!

Pros:
* Looks fantastic in person
* Large enough bracelet for good-sized wrist
* Screw-down crowns for time/date & day
* 200M WR rating
* Solid links on bracelet (for all but end links)
* Good lume on numbers & hands - lume last a long time (plus cool, blue color)
* Eco-drive should last 10+ years (Citizen says they have examples w/ 20+ years on them now)
* Positive comments from the wife & co-workers abound!

Cons:
* The date is a little small, could be a tad bigger & easier to read.
* Folded links at the ends (not solid)
* No lume on second hand or GMT hand(s)
* Uses mineral crystal, could scratch easier than sapphire
* No radio to sync automatically to atomic clock
review image
77 comments| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2005
This is the first Citizen brand watch I've ever bought, and so far, it's as good or better quality than more expensive TAGs I've owned. About the only thing missing (aside from a stopwatch, as noted earlier - but that's debatable if you're not a serious aviator) is a sapphire crystal, which would probably prevent scratches a little better than the standard mineral crystal. For this price, though, I'm not complaining.

I like the layout, the overall appearance and something else nobody mentioned - the band clasp is a very smart design. Not only does it have something similar to the Rolex "Flip-Lock" clasp, but the main clasp has what can best be described as a squeeze lock, which must be pressed together from the sides of the band to release it from the wrist. This thing isn't coming off accidentally.

I got the stainless version, but there is a titanium one available as well as an all-black version. The all black version looked kinda cheap and the titanium was more money, so stainless was the one I chose. Even though I'm not a pilot, the slide rule is functional (perhaps even useful, in some situations) and the instructions for it are easily understood. All that and a five year warranty. And I always equated Citizen with cheaper-made watches - I stand corrected. No regrets.
55 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2015
I received this time piece today and I absolutely love it. Let's start off with a few things. The biggest selling point for me was the incorpation of a flight calculator. I am a pilot and having the convenience of a flight computer on my wrist was a big selling point. I read some reviews of folks saying the face was "cluttered" with "useless information". Not to be a negative nancy but don't buy a time piece with incorporated tools if you do not wish or know how to use those tools. The flight computer can be used for real life calculations as well, but it's intended purpose is for pilots and navigators. I've included a photo of a real E6B flight computer for comparison. The whiz wheel can do a few more things, the meat and potatoes can be accomplished using the time piece.
Anyways, the watch fits nice and the movement is flawless. It is comfortable to wear and doesn't make a lot of noise. I highly recommend this time piece.
I dd not purchase this watch from Amazon. I was going to but my local jeweler who is a citizen dealer matched the Amazon price. I have a warranty on the time piece from both Citizen and my jeweler.
review image
on December 23, 2013
Seven years ago I purchased this watch as a present to myself after completing navigator school for the US Military. Seven years later it functions just as it did when I purchased it. This watch has spent years at sea, in the cockpit, and in the civilian sector and stood up to all the abuse it took. A few years and scratches later it has never failed me. This watch should be mil-spec. Very impressed.

TEN YEAR UPDATE: 7/9/16

This watch is still working as it did ten years ago without any modifications or servicing. It is very dependable and exceeded all expectations! I ended up buying one for my father since mine has worked so flawlessly. A great watch indeed. I have other high end watches (Breitling Super Avenger II) but this watch holds its own and keeps ticking.
on August 8, 2012
I've had my watch for a few days now and really like it. One feature is that the hands and numbers glow a cool blue in the dark, rather than the more common green seen in other watches. I have a more expensive Tag Heuer, but the quality bracelet on this Citizen compares very well. Regarding size this watch looks good on my 7 5/8" wrist. I have friends with huge 52mm watches, but I find those too massive and cartoonish. This watch is definitely big, but I could wear it to the office with a tie, or to the beach with shorts and a t-shirt. Tech specs show it measures at 42mm, and I came up with 42mm with a caliper, but if you measure strait across horizontally from the 9 to 3 position, including the screw down crown, I get 46mm across. The stainless bracelet tapers down to 18mm wide, with a nice clasp. The slide rule function is very smooth with zero play. One important reason I bought this watch is the Zulu time feature, which is easy to set, and I like the fact that it runs on light, therefore I will never have to walk into a store and pay to have the battery changed. Note that the crystal sits higher than the surrounding metal bezel, therefore possibly exposing it to scratches. This was sold and shipped by Amazon.com LLC when I bought it. The only change I would make? I would be willing to pay more for a sapphire crystal, but am happy with this watch and price.
on February 27, 2013
Hey guys, I bought this watch exactly a year ago February 16. It has ran terrific and hasn't had a single malfunction. So let the review begin.

First of all, the pictures don't do this watch justice. In my opinion it looks beautiful in person. I have received many compliments.

The weight of the watch is hefty but not too bad, gives it a good quality feel. The band it comfortable and if very appealing to the eyes.

The dial may look very busy and it is, but it's not that visible a meter and beyond away. Like I said its beautiful.

The crown and slide turn very smoothly and the crown screws down, reinforcing the water resistance. I've wore it in the shower, pool, while fishing, and etc. never a problem.

I have never timed it to see how fast/slow it runs. But it stays close (to the minute) and that's fine for me.

The only drawback I've noticed is the mineral crystal. Put a light scratch on it the very first week, but it's barley noticeable.

The watch fits very well on my 7" wrist and looks good as a sport and casual look. Also looks good in my opinion for dressy occasions.

Has a very nice lume. Overall this is a fantastic watch and is well worth the money in my opinion. I doubt ill ever sell it as it was my first real watch (not a fossil, or cheap Walmart brand). Highly recommended!

If I've helped one person out with this review then mission complete. Over and out.

Jordan.
on December 8, 2014
My wife informs me that it is a little early to be giving a review on this watch...

She is obviously wrong (admittedly, I've only have it for a day).

Style - It's the perfect watch for any occasion (since I don't own a yacht...yet).
Performance - After one day of use, it still shows me the correct time and date. I'll follow up after I've owned it longer...So tomorrow.
Weight - I'm going to start lifting weights with my non-watch arm to keep them even...Okay, maybe it's not quite that heavy, but it is solid enough to feel like a quality watch, which isn't surprising since it is a quality watch.
Quality - Detail on the watch face is intricate and functional. Not many watches have a slide rule. The second hand is perfectly aligned to the tic marks. There are no blemishes or noticeable manufacturing defects. The links are solid.
Price - Santa waited until it was on sale and got it for around $200 but I think it's worth more.

Conclusion - I did a lot of shopping before telling Santa (my wife) that this was the one I wanted. After one entire day of ownership, I can say that I'm confident I made the right selection.
on February 5, 2014
I wanted a pilot style watch for my son so I bought this watch.
This is a terrific watch, it looks great, its well made and solid without being too heavy. He receives a lot of compliments about it.

Having been an aviator myself I found most pilot watches are hard to read and impractical. Side by side this watch next to my $4,000 Breitling Aerospace the NightHawk looks every bit its equal. I am very impressed with the ecodrive system as the 2 yearly battery change on my watches are annoying.

As I said I was an aviator having flown everything from gunship helicopters to jet fighters, When you are rocking along at a couple of hundred feet or below, you only ever glance at a wristwatch (if you even look at it instead of the aircraft timepiece) gizmo's and details are superfluous. All time based calculations are in your head (eg I'm 20 seconds late, I'll speed up from 270kts to 300kts for 3 minutes,[30kts is 6 seconds every minute]) You only need an hour minute and second hand with a stopwatch function. Unfortunately this watch lacks the stopwatch function (but then again low level time on target navigation isn't meant for wristwatches)

Having said that, the rotating bezel is something I'd probably have use in my Air Force days for planning calculations, it is a simple and fast calculator than can be used for handy conversions (eg fuel lb to kg, nautical to statute miles, miles to km etc.)

Well done Citizen
on March 10, 2014
I pulled the trigger on this baby after seeing a youtube review of the slide rule function. After that I knew I needed to own it. Now that I have had it for a few a few weeks It is one of my favorite watches! I still havent figured out how to use the sliderule feature, but its such a nice looking face, I don't even care.

UPDATE 12/08/2015:

I am still not a pilot, but boy do I love this watch. I am wearing it right now while typing this update. I have found myself wearing it a few days a week at work and it just seems to go with anything I wear. A lot of my watches seem to fit better with a certain type of shirt or color, but this watch looks great no matter what I wear. Especially at work, it fits into a very professional environment with ease. Even if you never use the slide-rule, its still a beautiful watch.
review image review image