Shop Popular Services SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer STEM March Birthstone

Showing 1-10 of 66 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 85 reviews
on November 9, 2006
With the model name Doorman, you would expect it to be a workhorse, but you would be wrong.

The first problem I had was with the packaging. The first umbrella came in a standard fedex triangular "tube" that you would use for sending posters and such. These tubes are collapsible in the middle offering no protection to each end, and at those ends the shipper only included a couple of pieces of news paper as padding. When the umbrella arrived, the tip had been shattered to many pieces. Amazon replaced it with hardly a question asked and I had the replacement the next day before I could send the old one back. The replacement umbrella was packaged the same way, but was luckier during its trip.

My big issue is the the quality of the umbrella. The tip is made of very brittle plastic. The same part that broke during shipping on the last umbrella arrived ok, but split near the rivet part that holds it on within one week of arrival (it was used twice that week). 6 months later, the tip is still holding together but I'm fearing the day I might tap it against something the wrong way. For the price and reputation, I would have expected a nice metal tip like I see on peoples older umbrellas, or at least a screw on plastic of higher quality. Next is the way the fabric is secured to the canopy. They used just string wrapped a few times around the arm at the center. The tips seem good though, which is where you see most connections fail. The shaft seems week and as I hold it I wonder if the handle will come off the shaft. The material keeps the rain out as expected, but does not repel water. After market sprays would be required for this.

The design of the wind defeating system is sound and its implementations attractive. The holes in the nylon(?) are nicely shaped but surprisingly not hemmed making me hope that the fabric is rip-stop, though I don't see any veins indicating so.

Its an OK umbrella, but it seems to be made cheaply and I expected more from the most expensive model of such a high reputation umbrella company.
on January 20, 2007
Perfect for 1-2 people. Excellent build quality. Wood handle feels very comfortable. Even an umbrella this large holds up well in windy conditions. 62" is a bit deceptive, since it measures the circumference. I was told by Gustbuster this is the standard for measurement in the industry. Actual size is 51" across from the tip of the ribs, and 47" across from the fabric between ribs.
on May 6, 2007
I finally broke down and bought a decent umbrella for the torrential downpours we get here in CT. I was using little $5 umbrellas and going through them at the rate of 1 every two or three good storms. This one survived a real beast a few weeks ago, and feels like it will perform well for a while. only one complaint. The plastic tip sucks. Cracked the first day I took it to work. You'd think a company that had been making umbrellas this long would know to use metal tips. I took a star for the plastic tip.
on December 24, 2014
After few uses, the material start deteriorating. I'm attaching pictures. It looks awful and the umbrella will be unusable soon. Not worth the money.
review image review image
on June 6, 2016
I bought 2 gustbusters, since I knew that it's life time warrenty, and wind proof, wow... that's my dream on that gusty rainy days. I must too you, that it is strong, big, nice.
But, I have used it less then 15 times, suddenly in one rainy morning, I went down the 6 floors, and went outside, I opened the umbrella, I had only one half side covered with fabric, about 2 ends got torn, both the fabric and the rubber together, I felt ashamed with myself carrying that expensive umbrella in that shape, but I was still happy knowing that I'll get other ones since this has a life time warrenty.
I called gustbusters c.s., I was shocked when the customer service agent told me that ''only the construction is covered, but the material is not covered under the warranty,''
So my dear freinds, just buy cheep brand, that is not causing pain when it gets broken.
on January 3, 2007
I live on the stormy coast of northern California and bought this umbrella to keep me dry during my 1.25 mile walk to and from my bus stop. I am very happy with this product. The only quibble I have is that it's a tad too big sometimes to squeeze between the power poles and some overgrown bushes. But that says more about peoples ability to control their shrubery than it does about the umbrella. I'm glad I chose the GustBuster model with the curved handle instead of the straight one. The handle fits my hand perfectly and is easy to control in sudden wind gusts. The center support is long enough so my arms can maintain a relaxed and natural position. I wholeheartedly recommend this umbrella!
on January 26, 2013
Very sturdy, big enough to cover me and my wife, withstands really bad weather, and it looks classy. I live out west--this thing might be hard to negotiate if you live in, say, New York City with crowded sidewalks. The only con for my family is that my petite wife has a hard time opening it.

UPDATE: 9/9/14 Last month this umbrella broke. The little metal piece on the rod that holds it in the open position doesn't come out anymore. It has a lifetime guarantee, but they want me to ship the umbrella to them, wait a few weeks, and also pay $10 for return shipping. Very inconvenient. I just bought another umbrella instead (different kind). Probably won't buy another GustBuster.
on July 24, 2012
I live in Mobile, AL. Thus, I needed an umbrella after losing my cheap one last year. The GustBuster Doorman is a very handsome umbrella. The 62" model completely covers myself and potentially a backpack, (unlike most other umbrellas.) The locking mechanism keeping the umbrella open is its only downside. It works, but I just don't have the confidence that it'll last.. but that's my own unfounded neurotic thought. It's a very good product and I'd suggest it to anyone who wants to look awesome/pretentious.
on December 25, 2012
Although the umbrella is very nice, it is already ripping at the top. I've literally only used this umbrella 5 or 6 times and can't believe it needs to be replaced already. I'm very gentle with items and this is just very poor craftsmanship.
on October 11, 2007
my co worker always complained about how all his umbrellas broke in the wind. It has been a few winters since the purchase and still he has the same umbrella.

It is a two in one, when the wind comes in, the flops lift just enough for the wind to get by and the umbrella remains intact. It is a bit heavy, but that makes it very, very strong. Great product. Would buy it for myself, but I always forget my umbrellas every where I go. It is pricey, but If you take care of your things, get it.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.