Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 203 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 212 reviews
I must say that there are a lot of people slamming the GustBuster line of umbrellas and I have to wonder if some of the reviews are fake. I have owned three of these umbrellas and never had one break. I purchased this new Doorman model for Portland to use when dressed sharp in a suit. As you can see from dimensions, it's large. But it's not "clown large" and I think most people won't notice that it's oddly over-sized. There are only two things I'd say about the umbrella for people who are picky: (1) in order to have the GustBuster design where the canopy can stand strong winds, there has to be really two layers for the umbrella and they overlap. This isn't a problem, but it makes the umbrella thicker overall and so slightly heavier and more bulky. (2) The wood on the handle could be nicer. It looks like it will chip over time and it does not have a thick or strong lacquer. Still, I think it's a nice touch that it has wood at all. Very classy.

After throwing away my last umbrella (a beautiful but cheap over-sized rainbow-colored model) because of design failure or fatigue, I have to say this model is a great replacement. The size is perfect for any professional and it looks very sharp. See my pictures for design details.
review image review image review image review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 21, 2015
This thing is huge and awesome. Being 5'7", this umbrella is a bit big for me, but boy have I loved it.

This umbrella easily covers 3 people from the rain, and has been great on countless occasions.

Over 2 years later and it's still in the same condition as I got it, without any leaks or tears. I couldn't recommend this umbrella enough!

After one year at a festival being stuck under a short tree with my girlfriend and I crowded under her clear mushroom umbrella trying to stay dry in a rain torrent, I spent some time online and in stores shopping for an umbrella.

My umbrella needed to be able to comfortably fit two people under it, be black, have a strong shaft and handle, and have wind pockets so it doesn't blow me away. It's hard to find good quality, full sized umbrellas in stores anymore, but when I found this one on Amazon it was perfect.
• With a shaft that's either the hardest fiberglass I've ever felt, or a very solid aluminum, I've never felt like this umbrella will break or fold from wind or use.
• The crafted, curved wood handle has an authentic, sturdy feel to it and makes it easy to hold on to.
• After two years of regular use, I've yet to see any tearing in the fabric or fading.
• You can tell this umbrella was well designed in every detail from the wind pocket to the elastic to aid in closing, to the ease of opening it back up.
• 46" long, 68" wide: This umbrella is huge! I was looking for a two person umbrella, but this could fit four. I'm 5'7" and this umbrella comes up above my hip from top to bottom when I walk with it.

Overall, it's a huge, durable, amazingly built umbrella that's always my go to to stay 100% dry.
on February 20, 2017
The GustBuster Doorman is exactly what I was looking for when it comes to an umbrella. I wanted something that could easily accommodate multiple people under while also holding up to the intense mountain winds we get here in the hills. Overall I am very pleased with my purchase on both of those accounts...

However, buyers beware... I bought mine used from Amazon Warehouse and frankly they bungled their inspection. When I first took it out for a spin, there was a strange rotation to the canopy around the shaft that normally doesn't happen with umbrellas as well as a 1/2 inch up-and-down movement to the entire canopy when closed. Upon inspection I noticed that the brass open cap was tearing due to the brass nail used to secure it to the shaft. Being the handy man I am (and person who would rather fix things than waste them), I removed the nail and found that it was bent at nearly a 90 degree angle. I soldered the tear in the brass to seal it then secured it with a new brass nail.

I thought all would be good because it removed the up-and-down movement of the canopy, but it didn't fix the rotation issue. That's when I opened the umbrella up and took a look under the hood. What I saw was obviously cracked plastic (pic attached) I'm sure that the nail at one point was contained with plastic so that it wouldn't allow the canopy to rotate freely. Needless to say, I should have just returned it because I'm 100% sure that at some point this nail is going to break the rest of the plastic and ruin the runner.

That aside, this seems like a solid umbrella to me. The plastic seems good quality, so I'd like to think this is either a factory defect or whoever the previous own was put it through hell before returning it. I'm interested in buying a new one just to see how the original is compared to this beat up and supposedly "very good" used one.
review image review image
on November 21, 2015
Finally, a simple umbrella that will actually keep you from getting wet!

The overall build quality looks to be medium duty- not light duty and not heavy duty.

The nylon material it is made of is often more durable than the common polyester used in other umbrellas. Nylon tends to have less chemical smell than polyester and I appreciate that the smell this one came with seems to have disappeared after one overnight airing out.

The retraction mechanism is fiberglass, which is a strong material and makes the umbrella lightweight for its size. But it is a long stick, about 4 feet long. While the ribs are not heavy duty rugged, they do not seem light duty or cheap, either.

I appreciate that this umbrella retracts and expands manually. It clicks firmly into place. One less thing to break. And with an umbrella this large, an automatic expansion would throw you off balance. Opening this umbrella is a smooth, straightforward process.

This umbrella has a deep arc that makes it even more likely to protect your body from the rain. Some umbrellas have large, but rather shallow arcs that lets rain blow in easily from the side. This arc is deep enough that it will help when rain is blowing in at a side angle.

Another nice feature is the the tear drop vents to a double layer of canvas. This breaks the impact of wind resistance *very* nicely. The canvas overlay of the tear drops is snug to withstand leaks, at least for light-to-moderate wind gusts. I have not yet experienced it with gusts higher than about 20mph.

While I don't care much how an umbrella looks (it's there to keep you dry, not make you look good as you are getting soaked), this one looks professional, and not flamboyant.

As for durability, I'm anticipating this will last for 5 years of very occasional use. The lifetime warranty is reassuring. Be sure and mail in your warranty registration so it is active. Also, remember to write your name as identification on the umbrella so when you leave it somewhere you might get it back.

I got this at an "open box" discount and am quite satisfied with both the price and same-as-new quality from the Amazon warehouse. While it's expensive for an umbrella, $40, it's worth it to have one umbrella that will actually keep you, all of you, down to your shoes, completely dry in the rain.

Know what you are getting- a manual close umbrella that is long, but not very heavy. It will not store compactly, it needs to stand-up in a closet or lay wet across the backseat legroom in a car. So it's not practical for a work commute with lots of logistics. It is the size umbrella hotel doormen use. It will easily keep two people completely dry and looks to handle light-to-moderate winds with no difficulty.

UPDATE AFTER 6 MONTHS:

I like this umbrella very much as an occasional back-up to other smaller umbrellas. For situations that do not include tight spaces, it works great when you need to be 100% dry, or wish to walk with two people.

It vents small wind gusts nicely. But I have still not had occasion to test this in higher wind gusts (i.e. more than 20mph) but it appears to be able to withstand, easily, gusts of double that.

The simplicity of operation is great. I really like the solid feeling when the click locks the canopy into place.
on September 29, 2014
I have had this umbrella for over a year. It's huge, it leaves your entire body dry (except your feet). In emergencies, one can jump out of an airplane with it, or just for nanny related jobs.
It did break on me, after about 10 months, the metal part that keeps the umbrella closed stopped working. I was still able to use the velcro for the same effect.
WARNING: do not use in rainstorms if you hate people. They will come to you, be near you, look at you(horrible, I know), and make movement near impossible.
I need a new one. I left it out overnight and it was stolen :(
If any of you guys out there want to get me a new one, PLEASE DO.
on December 27, 2012
It's been over a year since I bought this umbrella and it's still holding up great. Where I live, rain is often accompanied by strong winds, which means that small umbrellas are just glorified hats - the rain will soak you from the chest down. But regular large umbrellas get flipped over and torn by strong winds. Not this one, though - I've walked through some very strong winds and it hasn't even budged, it's really solid. The only thing that you have to keep in mind is to hold on tight to it - it's so big that when the wind pulls it up, it pulls it so strongly that it can rip the umbrella out of your hand. The anti-wind flaps help, but it still takes some strength to hold on to it.
The only issue that I've noticed is that the velcro strips that keep it wrapped tightly when not being used wore out after about a year, but I bought new ones and got my wife to sew them on to replace the originals, it only cost a few bucks. Everything else about this umbrella is awesome.
on January 6, 2016
This appears to be a solid unit, and worth the money. I wish I could give it 5 stars, but I have just a few quibbles:

1. Some of the important pieces (tip, ferrule and latch button) are lightweight plastic. How long these might last is unknown, but it's not nice to put on a tip that can't be bumped to knock off water from the canopy when you go inside. The latch button feels particularly thin and flimsy, and the ferrule has a jagged edge.

2. Unless you play forward or center in the NBA, the length (>45") is too great to use the furled umbrella as a cane. To stroll with it, you must grab it by the shaft, Volksmarcher-style. I find this strange, because the handle looks long enough that they could have shortened the thing by at least 3" without reducing the spread (i.e., if this were a golf umbrella, it would only be 42" overall and still have a 68" canopy).

3. It's big enough for two people to stay dry, but it's not enormous as other reviews suggest. You definitely need to move it out of the way for other pedestrians you meet.

Overall, I like it, but it's best used in situations where you don't stroll with it--hence the "Doorman" name.
on June 20, 2016
This thing is ridiculously light taking into account how huge this umbrella is. It really is a doorman type umbrella. You can even fit a family of 5 under this thing. What really annoyed me were large scuff marks on the wooden handle out of the box. I can understand if I scuffed it myself - that would add character from what I do with the umbrella and I can live with that. I can't tolerate out of the box imperfections like that. It feels durable enough and it really does withstand Chicago winds during a storm. The locking mechanism isn't the smoothest that I've experienced with other extra large golfing sized umbrellas. It may take a couple tries to lock it in place when opening it up.
on July 26, 2015
Did no even make through one rain. The open lock mechanism did not work and would not lock the umbrella in the open position. Tried several times. The umbrella lock mechanism slid easily past the shaft spring time after time. Friend got it to lock by shoving it roughly. Second rough shove slid all the way to the top and would not come back down without breaking the spindles. I have had numerous Gustbuster umbrellas and have always been a fan. Even bought them for the entire staff at the office. Sorry to see them go the way of having such a shoddy and disappointing product.
on January 27, 2017
I have had this umbrella for over a year now. I have been using it in Chicago, very aptly named "The Windy City." It has never turned inside out. It has never bowed or bent. And it is in just as good of condition as it was when I first got it. If you are debating whether to get this or not because of the price, look at it this way: This umbrella has lasted longer than any other for me. Had I bought a cheaper umbrella I would have replaced it once or twice by now, spending more on three umbrellas than on this one.