Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services gotcatchup gotcatchup gotcatchup  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Size: Up to 10-Gallons|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,277 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,476 reviews
on August 6, 2016
Being a mechanical engineer that works with liquid pumps it easy for me to see the strengths and weakness of materials or designs. Materials and fit for the most part are good. My unit started to surge and drop 2.5 months after purchase. Too late for Amazon's backing and takes to long to get a Tetra repair under warranty. So going into it I found the arms were not symmetrically which in turn caused some output variance and operation. Not being the main problem I found the reed valves were sturdy appeared to be silicone but obviously not working smoothly. I removed the retainers cleaned the seats with eye drops and then used 100% silicone lube on the valve disc and body o-rings very lightly. Applying the retainers requires some finesse, leave too loose is not good and pushing up tight is not good. You push on till the end of the metal shaft is even with the end of the retainer. This is easy to miss. I had to bend the swing arms and reshape to the proper angles. I found them too soft or easy to bend while doing this. You could bend them just taking the unit apart to install a repair kit. No pump should have this weakness. I have seen worse overall but it's not perfect as some seem to think. The overall build is good but I can why many gave it one star. They can across the inconsistency of the swing arm and reed valve operation and did not know how to fix them. Tetra could fix this easily without considerable expense. I not angry but I'm not happy. Disappointed since it could have been better for so little.
on July 16, 2015
So I plugged the air pump into a huge koi pond air stone. ( didn't know the stone was that big when I ordered it) It pushed it fairly well considering the size of the stone. The air pump did after a few days of running developed a slight rattle/buzzing I assume was from the plastic housing because when I squeezed the pump with my hand the noise would stop. But the noise went away after about 3 more days... Odd, but great.

Is it quiet?: Yes, but I also have a 212 gallon 5w 4 outlet air pump that is maybe 2 dB louder on full flow (because it is adjustable.)

Would I recommend?: Yes, if you have a small tank and one feature you are trying to push. Get the biggest size you can afford not by gallons. Big ones (some)have multiple outlets and adjustable air flow knob.

Notes:
The price was right for me at the time.
The pump arrived fast and before it was expected.
It had an inline air control valve in the box and that was a plus.
Still ended up buying a bigger air pump cause I needed more bubbles and expansion capabilities.
First time buying this brand of pump and would buy again.
on March 5, 2016
This pump is perfect for my 36 gallon aquarium. So quiet I don't even hear anything especially when it is kept inside the aquarium stand cabinet, all I can hear is the sound of water flowing from the filter.
review image review image review image review image
on June 26, 2013
I like this pump a lot! It replaced two smaller pumps I used for my fish tanks. It's a little louder than I had hoped but it is still a great value. I have to make sure I'm running both sides wide open to keep it relatively quiet, I'm still trying to figure out a way to muffle it. I would recommend this as it is a very good quality air pump.

UPDATE!
I resolved my noise issues by putting my pump farm in a separate room so noise really isn't an issue anymore. I wish the manufacturers would list these units by flow rate instead of tank size ....tank size means very little to me. I was a medical equipment technician once, so I decided to do a flow rate test on the whisper units I own and here is what I found:

60 Gal: 2.3 LPM on one side and 2.2 LPM on the other side, for a combined total of 5.5 LPM
40 Gal: 1.7 LPM
10-30 Gal: 1.0 LPM I was able to tweak the magnets and get an extra .1 LPM

I just purchased a 100 but haven't received it yet but I will test it and post the results when I do. I'm not knocking these pumps they're a good value for the money and are far superior to some of the others I have. The only thing I would suggest(since there's not a lot of difference in price)is going with the bigger unit, one can always put a valve in and turn it down rather that having a whole herd of pumps (like me) and taking up so much space. The pumps are easy to work on plus parts are cheap, that and the price is why I would recommend these pumps.
on June 3, 2017
I got the 100. It works GREAT very quiet, I have a bunch of the smaller ones 10's, 20's up to the 40 and I don't consider it any bit louder than they are. It provides great pressure and puts my airstones to full capacity with tiny bubbles coming out all over whereas the lower units only push out areas of the top and some mid section of the airstones with larger bubbles. Having only had the small units, I was surprised how large this 100 is and it's also nice to have two air outlets. I Will definitely buy 3-5 more of these for my fishroom to power sponge filters, it'll be nice to transition my noisier commercial air pumps to these nicer quiet ones
on April 5, 2016
I ordered a second one of these pumps due to the quality of the first one I had ordeted. This aerator is quiet, small and looks kinda cool. It adds the perfect amount of aeration to my tank to keep my fish happy and healthy the price is great and it arrived in 2 days as promised. Would buy again!
review image review image
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 31, 2016
I got this pump to add bubbles to some decorations in my 20gallon fish tank. A few things:

- The pump only has one output, so if you want to plug more than one decoration, you will need to buy some connectors such as Jardin Aquarium Airline Air Tube Tubing Connectors Filters, 10-Piece
- The pump comes without connector tube. Any 3/16" tube will do, I personally bought this one: Python Airline Tubing for Aquarium, 25-Feet
- Every pump is noisy, and this one is not an exception. The noise of the pump can be heard above the noise of my (very silent) filter. I still think Tetra did a good job to minimize the noise, but do not expect it to be really "whisper"
- The pump has a very good strength, and my two decorations put out tons of bubbles!

Overall, I liked the pump and I do recommend it if you want either aeration or decorative bubbles
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on June 14, 2017
Worked great while it lasted. Almost to the day at the 4 month mark the pump got very loud. I took it apart and discovered the end opposite the motor has a rubber bushing and is held in place by a cylindrical piece of plastic which had cracked and broken into pieces. I bought some Gorilla Glue epoxy approx $5 or 55% the cost of a new air pump and repaired it. We'll see how long my repair last but I feel it should last longer than 4 months. Simply a design flaw.
on May 17, 2017
I bought this air pump from Amazon, but it was defective. There was no air coming out. I contacted Amazon and got a replacement. The second one works! The pump is very quiet and gives adequate air for 10 gallon tank. It doesn't come with a hose, but a valve for adjust amount of air. I bought a hose and a splitter for two air outlets. The price is also great! At my local Petco store, it costs triple the price.

Only con is the shape that take a little bit more space than a tradition air pump, but the design makes it to be quiet.

I do not know how it would last, because I have it only few weeks. Will update later...
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on June 14, 2017
 Whisper Air Pumps have had a huge decline in quality. Straight out of the box and not only one failed but the second brand new one right behind it.

I keep these pumps on a clean dry shelf just in case something goes wrong with my clients aquariums. Now that I need them I bring both to a job (9:00 at night) and both FAIL. The first pump makes the worst sound I have ever heard (out of the box!) The Secound pump after taking off the air line ONE TIME the nipple broke off! BROKE OFF! Never in my many years of service I have I had such luck with a product or felt the need to write a review. Before I was okay with the pump dying in one years time but straight out of.the box.is completely unacceptable
review image