Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 688 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,070 reviews
on May 11, 2016
Definitely too dark and gory for little kids, this fantastic world feels like Tim Burton’s wonderfully strange mind was completely set free by animation (where he started his career). The voice performances are also terrific -- more subtle and full of colors than often even very good actors bring to animation. Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham-Carter, Albert Finney Christopher Lee, and Emily Watson -- just to name a few -- bring out both the humor and the humanity in these wild characters.

The story; an awkward young man, about to be pushed into an arraigned marriage with a girl he' surprised to find he does really love, accidentally marries a dead woman while practicing he marriage vows in the forest (it makes sense in the film, I promise!). He’s taken into the world of the dead (ironically far more colorful than the almost black and white vision of Victorian England in which he lives), and from there has to figure out how to get home and back to his real lady love, even if his current ‘corpse bride’ is quite sweet, in a decomposing sort of way. Top it all off with some wickedly funny songs by Danny Elfman fashioned into wildly entertaining musical numbers and you have a truly one of a kind cinematic treat.
on March 20, 2015
Another great piece of work from Tim Burton, Johnny Dep is made into the groom as one of Tim Burton's next clay figurines for this stop motion animation picture. He captures death in the living world more than he does in the dead, and this movie has a way of making death seem almost fun and that life will go on in any life you end up living. Highly recommend this master piece and many more from Tim Burton.
review image review image review image
on October 21, 2015
This is such a great Halloween movie. I haven't seen this movie in forever and then Netflix had it and I bought it so we have it on our shelves. This is such brilliantly animated movie. The way they filmed it and created the art was so nice. This is my favorite Tim Burton movie. I love Emily the character in this movie she's so naive and quirky. She's just a nice and relatable character. Since watching it this year I did think it ended differently than it did but it was still such a nice movie. It's a great kids movie but for young ones they might think of this as "dark". I didn't. My cousins watch shows like Monster High and on Youtube Five Night of Freddy which are dark so I think if your kids watch those things they'll be fine.

This isn't for everyone but I really enjoyed it. I watched back years ago when it came out in the theaters and now as an adult.
on August 5, 2015
I purchased this movie several months ago. I remember seeing the
trailers for this in the theater years ago when I was a kid, and let me say,
the movie was nothing like I though it would be! It was the perfect blend
of eerie, cute, funny and touching at the same time.

For those of you with small children: there is nothing overly scary within
this film, and I firmly believe Corpse Bride actually would teach a child
about the value of life and death, albeit in a humorous tone. Modern
family films present important life's lessons anymore. (For the record,
I have no children of my own, but I am speak as one from memories of
her own childhood upbringing.)

Of course, this IS a Tim Burton film, so much of his unusual tone resides within.
However, wither or not you are one of his fans, do your self a favor and purchase
this movie!
Tim Burton has become reknowned for his movies about the weird and the macabre. Sometimes weird, FUNNY and macabre.

And "Corpse Bride" has all three qualities, mixing in the bizarre and wacky with a bittersweet love story. It also has the sort of goofy ickiness that really expert haunted houses have -- you're enjoying the ghouls and skeletons too much to care who it's aimed at. This is an "underground" film in the best sense of the word.

Victor (Johnny Depp) is at the rehearsal for his arranged wedding, when he forgets his vows. Not a good omen. He runs out and rehearses it by himself, and ends up slipping the ring on the finger of a dead girl, Emily (Helena Bonham Carter). But Emily, who died tragically, falls in love with Victor and considers herself married to him.

Now Victor is trapped in the underworld, which is a surprisingly cheery, upbeat place when you consider everyone is dead. He tries to find his way back to the world of the living, but soon finds himself more drawn to the tragic Emily. Now he must make the ultimate choice: Will he return (for as long as he lives) to his arranged bride, or stay in the underworld with the Corpse Bride?

You'd think a movie about dead people would be depressing. At the very least, dark. But surprisingly "Corpse Bride" is neither -- instead, Burton has crafted a sweet, enchanting little love story where one of the people happens to be dead, and which is set in the underworld. There's nothing frightening about it. If anything, it's enchanting.

Is the plot original? Heck no -- boil it down, and you have a boy-meets-girl-while-engaged-to-another-girl story. But it's the delivery that's charming, from the funny dialogue ("Play dead!") to the colorful inhabitants of the underworld (like the pirate, or the intimidating minister). The macabre humour and song-and-dance numbers add to the charm of this world, where the dead are more alive than the living.

And the voice actors seal the deal; what could have been merely funny becomes touching, in their hands.Johnny Depp brings the timid, tremulous Victor to life, and makes his dilemma believable, while Carter makes us look past protruding bones and bluish skin, to the sweet romantic Emily was. The only problem is that moronic maggot -- it's an annoying distraction.

It's not quite on the level of cult classic "The Nightmare Before Christmas," but "Corpse Bride" is still a hilarious, bittersweet little story with a macabre twist. Delightful.
on March 16, 2016
I love this movie as I do all of them. They are charismatic and such a delight to watch. No, I am not going to give away spoilers..there is an obvious play on Night Before Christmas. Yet, if you enjoy Tim Burton, you should enjoy this one too. Safe for kids, good for adults, love.
on June 6, 2017
I bought this for my child who is a big fun of Nightmare Before Christmas, including me.
When she first watch this, she was a bit scared, told her to turn it off and just watch it with me later.
But, now she watches it almost everyday.lol
on January 23, 2014
This is one of my favorite movies. It is a great, humor filled, intense, fast paced feature. I'd say it would be suitable for anyone over 8 years old. I had a great time watching it. My friends and I watched it at our Halloween party, and I still enjoy viewing it all year round.

I highly recommend this movie, but there is one thing in it that bugs me: the character's outrageous outbursts into song. Tim Burton is a very musical person, but does he really have to let everyone know that by inserting his musical gusto into his all of movies? I'm sure at some ages people enjoy the silly little songs that the clay characters are dancing to, but specifically to an older person like me, they are cheesy and unnecessary. But keep in mind that this is just an opinion, but to me at least, takes away one of the stars.

Apart from this minor annoyance, I really think Tim Burton's Corpse Bride is a fantastic film, that is worthy of your money.
on May 11, 2016
Tim Burton is a genius and this movie is a great example of that. The story, animation and voices are all fantastic.

Like most people, I rely on honest product reviews to make purchase decisions. Because the experience of others has been so helpful to me, I try to provide honest, helpful reviews to assist other shoppers in selecting the right products for them. I hope my review has been helpful to you!
Tim Burton has become reknowned for his movies about the weird, the macabre, and the very funny. And his new stop-animated masterpiece "Corpse Bride," a host of bizarre characters and a bittersweet love triangle, has all three qualities.

This is an "underground" film in the best sense of the word. It gives you the sort of feeling that really expert haunted houses do -- you're enjoying the ghouls and skeletons too much to care who it's aimed at.

Is the plot original? Heck no -- boil it down, and you have a boy-meets-girl story. But it's the delivery that's charming, from the funny dialogue ("Play dead!") to the colorful inhabitants of the underworld (like the pirate, or the intimidating minister). The macabre humour and song-and-dance numbers add to the charm of this world, where the dead are more alive than the living.

Coming up with a suitable follow-up for cult classic "Nightmare Before Christmas" couldn't have been easy. But Burton does so in rare style, creating a story both hilarious and bittersweet. Enchanting.