Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM March Birthstone Shop Popular Services SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Format: DVD|Change
Price:$5.00+ Free shipping (Addon item)

Showing 1-10 of 1,002 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,343 reviews
on December 11, 2016
It’s a downright huge homemade Christmas for the extended Stone family during the December holiday. The eldest and ‘favorite' son, Everett (Dermot Mulroney), brings his quite buttoned-up and beautiful girlfriend, Meredith (Sarah Jessica Parker), to meet the entirety of his free-spirited, unified, opinionated, and diverse brood. This entire bunch is filled to the brim with exclusive personalities, definite broad experiences, and poignant irons in the fire though they seem to all agree with each other for the most part… then comes the seemingly radical and unexpected spark off another set of opinions and let the dominoes fall where they may. While Meredith has a more conservative attitude amongst a family of the opposite, her opinions, thoughts, even her attempts at understanding cannot hold water and are under fire with this bunch so she feels compelled to call in the reinforcement of her sister Julie (Claire Danes) for some emotional support amongst this crew. So who are the judgmental here and who are judged? You decide while viewing this entertaining and often boisterous ensemble cast written and directed by Thomas Bezucha.

This is definitely not your typical merry, merry, happy family Christmas movie fare and I have watched it throughout the years at any time of year while realizing each time something new or overlooked before. In fact, this family is definitely not the easiest to warm up to as a whole. Each person is quite specific in how they face life except when it comes to their familial tunnel vision. They have that down in spades. With these many people acting together, there is too much to miss with just one viewing. The cast includes Diane Keaton (Sybil Stone), Craig T. Nelson (Kelly Stone), Rachel McAdams (Amy), and Luke Wilson (Ben) amongst so many others whom all fill the family home to overflowing right into the town’s public Inn; a Christmas family get together never looked quite like this to me before. This is less of a comedy as it is a drama with some great comedic elements. There are scenes that had me holding my breath because of what had been said while I was waiting for a response - or a response that I didn’t necessarily understand what all of the fuss was over. They may all fill up one great big home but these individual personalities manage to suck in each and every corner of breathing space. The questions may be as follows: Is there room for Meredith, who represents a different point of view? Can these families learn from one another that puzzle pieces don’t always fit perfectly, and if they do, the picture may be far too boring? Again, you decide.
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon December 30, 2016
What a star ensemble, Sarah Jessica Parker, Claire Danes, Diane Keaton, Dermot Mulroney Luke Wilson, Rachel McAdams,Craig T Nelson, Ty Giordano, and Brian White. A large ensemble for a large family.

Christmas at the home of mom and dad. Dermatologist Mulroney shows up with his new girl, Sarah Jessica Parker. The family dislikes uptight, Jessica, and it shows. Dermot wants the family engagement ring to give toSarah, mom says no. The family falls apart with the issues not spoken. Each person seems to have their own issues. Love is not in bloom. The younger brother has eyes that seem to see into the soul, and sees Sarah for who she is. Some comedy here, but in reality it is more of a family drama. It brings to the fore all the problems and issues of families.

Recommended. prisrob 12-30-16.
on January 31, 2017
This is just one of my favorite movies. It's a feel good movie with some comedy, sad parts and some controversial parts. Maybe not for everyone but I love the cast & thought they all did a great job as did Sara Jessica Parker & Claire Danes. I saw it when it first came out but You Tube had some videos of it & watching reminded me of what a good movie it was, so I rented it & watched & enjoyed it again. I did the same recently with Morning Glory which is a laugh out loud comedy sometimes. I enjoyed that one very much - no sad parts.
on February 16, 2016
One of the best movies I have watched. It had an undercurrent of seriousness but I have never laughed so hard at any movie. Most of the characters scream dysfunctional. I had never seen Sarah Jessica Parker in any film (not even Sex and the City) but she wrung everything out of the character she had. She and Luke Wilson played well off each other and the scene where Delmot Mulroney and Luke Wilson chased each other around the house after an argument, it was just too funny (and I really have to be tickled to laugh) I could go on an on but wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone
on January 2, 2017
We watch The Family Stone every Christmas as a family. And we have laughter through tears every year. There is something joyous and comforting about each of the characters. And, of course, we see ourselves in one of the characters. I'm pretty sure the screenwriter knows my daughter. If he/she doesn't, then my daughter has a twin running around out there somewhere.
on March 7, 2017
Absolutely love this movie!! Watch it every year at Christmas time over and over again! I actually bought this DVD as a gift for a dear friend and we have continued the tradition of watching several times during the months of November and December.
on March 4, 2017
This is favorite Christmas movie! We have a tradition of watching the Christmas movies we own during every Holiday Season. This is my favorite with The Family Man and The Santa Clause II close seconds. A great story with some poignant life reality and even a few belly laughs...
on December 13, 2016
A surprisingly realistic depiction of the modern day family with a solid performance by an all star cast. A great movie to analyze for family systems dynamics. Yet, I didn't like the movie's story itself. It just wasn't a good story that allowed me to build empathy or deeply relate or root for any character.
on March 25, 2017
We liked this film several years ago and decided to include it in our holiday DVD collection, because it did have some relevance and a good cast. That said,we will not be watching it a lot.
on March 23, 2017
Love this money, well spent money for this one, its my 3rd someone keeps taking them.