Bubble Witch Saga 3 Check out Santa's new ride Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Dot Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on December 14, 2013
The adult children (or sometimes college chums) gathering for a family holiday is a theme that's been tried over and over, and usually includes some neurotic (if not psychotic) members who make everyone else walk on egg shells. This family gathering is superbly cast for a family of adult children all self-confident and supremely aware of the shared gold of their upbringing. The weakest character is likely Diane Keaton, which may only be only a heads-up to how superbly natural and unique each of the other characters are. Although Keaton plays the mother with all the nuances the writer-director intended, to my mind sufficiently still Diane Keaton to be a distraction; and the name-claimer Claire Danes, who plays a naturally buoyant and sensitive uninvited guest, doesn't enter the story till the tail end, so cannot claim any outsized kudos. Craig Nelson as the father might be the "huge person" who gathers all his ducklings to heart, while Sarah Jessica Parker is superb as the up-tight girl-friend of oldest son; but 2nd son turns out to be the commodious heart that brings out her (apparently quite natural) inner girl. Three other siblings are equally unique within the family and bring issues that provide the mountains over which the family must climb. I've watched it at least 8 times, sometime 4 times in a week; and I'm giving it to six people as presents for Christmas. This is a family that doesn't preach; it just thrives; and its the natural commodious relationships that fashion the hook.
on March 19, 2015
A lot of people may have a difficult time with this movie given the serious nature of dealing with a serious illness at what should be a joyful time of year, but this really doesn't detract from a wonderful film. It is absolutely part of my family's holiday viewing, as we find much humor in the familiar dysfunctional family dynamic and quirkiness. Some of the personalities work better than others (Luke Wilson is definitely the more appealing of the older brothers, and Claire Danes isn't really given enough meat to round out her character) but it really does capture a particular type of family Christmas and is just a fun watch for a group.
on September 12, 2017
Great screenwriting. Love the characters and the actors playing them... great Thanksgiving/Christmas movie (for adults, not children friendly... really... because of some topics). Love this and share it with all the family/friends I know.
on November 14, 2017
My favorite movie of all time.. I could watch this over and over (and I do). Diane keaton, SJP, Claire Danes, and Rachel McAdams all in one movie? Yes yes yes!
on July 25, 2017
I enjoyed this movie but not one I would want to immediately see again.
on January 6, 2014
This is a holiday movie that surprises you with its candid, loving and frank no nonsense family& the events that go on :) Its a wonderfully refreshing take on family dynamics,mother and daughter in laws....there's so much to love about the family stone, the heartwarming scenes, the hilarity that ensues is incredibly funny! The ensemble of these formidable and lovely actors is such a triumph for the story!A great example of how an ensemble family should be with each other :-D

I love this film, I think if you watch it-you"ll love with this family too.

P.s. Only reason it isn't five stars is cause I wanted more of the movie I loved the characters so much, loved everything just felt it could have been a little smidge longer <3 the ending is good though ;)
on January 31, 2017
This is just one of my favorite movies. It's a feel good movie with some comedy, sad parts and some controversial parts. Maybe not for everyone but I love the cast & thought they all did a great job as did Sara Jessica Parker & Claire Danes. I saw it when it first came out but You Tube had some videos of it & watching reminded me of what a good movie it was, so I rented it & watched & enjoyed it again. I did the same recently with Morning Glory which is a laugh out loud comedy sometimes. I enjoyed that one very much - no sad parts.
on September 11, 2017
I have no idea how I missed this movie, will not happen again. It was absolutely phenomenal.
on February 14, 2013
This is one of my favorite movies. Sarah Jessica Parker's performance is dead-on. The girl who is uptight, judgemental and prudish (Sarah Jessica Parker) meets the family of her boyfriend (Dermot Mulroney) who are cool, relaxed, demonstrative in their feelings... total opposites. The family obviously hates the girlfriend and comedy ensues. It's one I like to watch at Christmas to remind me that during the chaos of the season, the love of your family wins in the end. Watching Luke Wilson's character coach Sarah Jessica Parker's character in how to relax and be in the moment is hilarious. There is a sad story line as well, which to me just adds another peek into how this family operates. Definitely worth watching, and has lots of "re-watchability".
on November 15, 2017
My all time favorite "new" Christmas movie! I watch it every year....and even when I just want my heart warmed!