Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now Ellen

Size: Without Lensplate|Change

Showing 1-10 of 892 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 940 reviews
on June 10, 2016
Donegan vs. MagnifyLabs vs. Bausch & Lomb:
The main decent quality choices seemed to be: Donegan Optivisor DA ($36 - glass lens - this review) or LX ($26 - acrylic lens), MagnifyLabs Headband Magnifier ($26 - glass lens) and less-known knock-offs, and Bausch & Lomb Magna Visor ($36 - acrylic lens). The Bausch & Lomb had too many bad reviews. The MagnifyLabs apparently has glass lenses like the Donegan DA and is cheaper and well-reviewed. But for only $10 more I preferred to go with the proven original - the Donegan DA. The headband has a huge adjustment range to accommodate a-n-y head size and is remarkably comfortable due to the padded forehead. The plastic adjusting size and flip-up tension knobs are hokey but they work.

DA vs. LX / AL
Regardless of misinformation by others, the Optivisor "DA" models have the two-piece glass-lens-in-blue-tinted-plastic-frame lens plates, while the cheaper Optivisor LX (= AL lens) models have the single-piece-all-clear-molded-in-acrylic-lens-plate. No idea why Donegan chose to confuse things by using Optivisor "LX" for the headband but "AL" for the lenses. My box said "DA-5" and I scratch-tested the lens - it's glass.

Prescription Glasses:
You can wear your glasses with this - plenty of room - or no, as the lens acts like near-sight glasses anyway. I prefer to wear my normal prescription glasses with these since they correct both my eyes for crystal clear starting vision, with two interesting side effects: 1) the overall magnification is noticeably greater due to the magnification added by my glasses (great!); and 2) the focused working distance is reduced - for me for the 2.5x lens from the nominal 8" to 5-6". So if you wear glasses, consider this in your lens power choice, as your glasses will add more magnification themselves, plus reduce your working distance further than the nominal number claimed.

Lens choice:
For me, the 2.5x magnification lens (5 diopter) is perfect for general usage inspecting things like splinters, coins, golf club grooves, electronics, bugs, super-glueing very small stuff, etc., because it shows everything of possible interest while still allowing a comfortable 6-8" distance from the work and a reasonably broad and deep field of view. This is as opposed to, say, the highest 3x magnification (10 diopter) which makes you work excruciatingly close at 4" (or 3" with glasses) and also with a narrower field and depth of view. With a 3x lens at 4" you can't even get your fingers in there to do anything - only for specific professional use. So I think most would find opting for a comfortable working distance more important than trading that off for any extra magnification. A modern car key is about 4" long so try it - put a newspaper down and bend down until your glasses meet the car key and try to do anything in front of the lens. Plus you can just add a $10 OptiLoupe (see below) to a medium magnification lens for the rare times you want to scrunch down to 2" to check out something further at 4-5x.

OptiLoupe LP-1 ($10):
I added the separate 2.5x OptiLoupe for the occasional super-close-up. The loupe mounts on either side you prefer - just pull the original lens mounting screw or pin out on that side and shove the OptiLoupe on with its longer screw in its place. The loupe lens was maybe glass at one time but it definitely is acrylic now (I scratch-tested it), but that seems irrelevant given the perfect clarity. You have to close the other eye when using the loupe, but that works fine. (You can't use one for each eye because your eyes won't focus properly through both together.) Assuming you'll rarely need/use a super-close-up, this is a much better solution than having to switch a separate high power lens plate in and out of the headband. With my glasses on and this flipped down, the working distance is reduced to 2" but the clarity is great.

Quasar LS (Lighting System) model 6010 ($25) - not Donegan
You can see things with normal room lighting, but for serious views, actual detailed work, or long use, the more magnification, the more light required. The Quasar is very convenient - very bright lighting comes with you and I haven't felt the need to add external light. To add it on, you pull the two original lens mounting plate screws out, slap the Quasar LED frame on the front of the lens plate, and stick both back on with the longer plastic pins supplied. Then you just place the battery pack on the side of the headband and strap it on with the supplied velcro strap. Simple on-off switch on the side of the battery pack. Unnoticeable when mounted. Takes 2 AA batteries that come with it (nice surprise - Energizer alkalines!). Batteries claim 100+ hours of life, which given LEDs, seems likely. Fyi, works with the MagnifyLabs headband also. Donegan offers the VisorLIGHT, a single non-LED bulb alternative but it seems pretty lame in comparison given 5 hour battery life, $10 replacement Xenon bulbs, and review quality issues.

Additional/Replacement Lens Plates:
This is extremely confusing because of the supplier misinformation as of June 2016. So I talked with the manufacturer Donegan. They confirmed they do offer both glass and acrylic additional/replacement lens plates through their dealers (although, oddly, you can't find these on their manufacturer website). They confirmed their glass lenses are two-piece, with the lenses glued into a blue-tinted surrounding acrylic frame and designated LP-2/3/4/5 with "LP" standing for Lens Plate. Their acrylic lenses are a single-piece of clear acrylic, with the lenses molded directly into and as p[art of the overall acrylic frame and designated AL-2/3/4/5 with "AL" standing for Acrylic Lens. So glass lenses have a blue-tinted frame and acrylic lenses have a clear frame. Confusingly, all the "LP" lens plates currently listed on Amazon indicate in their details that they are acrylic, not glass, which conflicts with the "LP" designation. Counter-confusingly, the pictures show blue-tinted frames which would indicate glass lenses. So either they are glass and the "acrylic" in the detail description is wrong, or they are acrylic and the LP and picture are wrong. So check what you get accordingly - maybe they'll correct this corrected after our talk.

Optical Power (Diopter) vs. Magnification Power:
I did a little research to figure out what the Optical Power ("Diopter") vs. Magnification Power thing is all about. Turns out Optical Power ("Diopter") is the fundamental measurement optical professionals use because it integrates naturally with the compound optical equations typically required in their profession. Technically, the Optical Power (Diopter) of a lens equals the reciprocal of its Focal Length measured in meters. So, for example, a lens with a 20 centimeter focal length (1/5th of a meter) has a Diopter of 1 / [1/5] = 5, and a lens with a 10 cm focal length (1/10th of a meter) has a Diopter of 1 / [1/10] = 10. "Magnification Power" = the increased size of the image viewed, not the Focal Length, so it is not a one-to-one linear relationship, but is generally related to Diopter as follows: Magnification = [Diopter / 4] + 1. So, for example, a 5 Diopter lens has a Magnification Power of: [5/4] + 1 = 2.25x while a 10 Diopter lens = [10/4] + 1 = 3.5x magnification. Usefully, you can add Optical Powers (Diopters) to understand the Magnification result, but not Magnification Powers. So adding a 5 Diopter OptiLoupe (2.5x) to my 5 Diopter headband (2.5x) = 10 Diopters => which converting = [10/4] + 1 = 3.5x overall magnification ... similar to the maximum 10 diopter 3.5x lens plate option.
on March 23, 2014
I own many OptiVisors and LOVE them, and so does my wife. But be careful -- there are two different products under the OptiVisor name. The original OptiVisor is more expensive and has interchangeable glass lenses. The lower-priced LX model has plastic lenses. Reading through all the reviews, it appears that negative reviews are for the LX product and all the glowingly positive reviews are for the original OptiVisor product. Both are available on Amazon. My recommendation is to purchase the regular OptiVisor with the #4 lens. This is 2X magnification at a focal length of 10 inches, which is pretty much exactly what is needed for working on musical instruments, electronics, needlepoint, and most other typical uses. If you already know that you need to get your nose 4" from your work, or you already know that you need to peer at something from 14" away, then buy one of the other lenses, but if you just want great magnification for detailed work (especially with aging eyes) then the #4 lens is the one you want -- but not the LX, the regular OptiVisor DA-4.
Many of us have seen one or another 'OptiVisor' product in use in a doctor or a dentist's office. The product line is aimed at a wide range of persons having need for 'extra visual capacity.' With aging, my vision benefits from stronger light and fine print seems to require magnification above and beyond my eyeglasses. I pair this device with an LED multi-bulb lighting accessory to read in bed or to work picture puzzles.

In short, people with up-to-date prescriptions from doctors can find themselves in need of a visual aid for reading small or fine print or for doing craft work where the ability to see 'fine' detail makes all the difference. Many of these same people need 'hands free' vision aids. It is a further help if the aid can be held at a fixed distance from the head or from prescription glasses that equalize vision from one eye to another. That quickly lets out the Sherlock Holmes style magnifying glass, so useful for temporary use. I need an OptiVisor style device for working 1000 piece picture puzzles and fine print crossword puzzles. Fly-tying, needlepoint and model making are often mentioned examples where hands-free enhanced vision saves eye strain and makes projects not just more comfortable to achieve but possible.

This unit, with its optical glass (more expensive than similar units with optical quality plastic lenses) is well-worth the extra price for the resistance of the glass to minor scratching and for ease of cleaning of the lenses. Clarity of vision lasts longer with optical glass.

Once a buyer has made the glass/plastics decision, it is CRUCIAL to pay attention to the way magnification and depth of vision and focal length of lenses interact with the intended use. It is tempting to think 'higher magnification is always better'. Not so: magnification is closely related to the focal length of the lens--the distance from the lens to the object being worked with if sharp images are to be achieved. As an example, for reading small print, a comfortable distance from the lens may be 10 inches. The lens that works at this distance is x1.5 magnification. Higher magnifications are for work closer to the lens. (This assumes that persons needing corrective lenses are wearing them with this device. The visor is designed to allow ample room for them.)

Not to worry: different lens plates for this product 'clip' in easily to the visor and can be changed as needed. On the other hand, 'sets' of lenses may not suit your needs if those needs do not vary much. A set of lens plates is pricey. Fly tiers may work at 6 or 8 inches. Some readers or puzzlers may wish to work at 20 inches. The right magnification plate is vital to individual user satisfaction here. Trying to 'stretch' one lens plate to do the work of another is out of the question.

Anyway, this unit is comfortable to wear for long periods, is well-built and has been tested day in and day out by the doctors and dentists you visit. It works very well for me, too. I do notice some 'disorientation' where the 'magnified' image necessitates my adjusting my hand motions to a different sense of distance. In my case, I feel a bit of dizziness until I adjust my senses. It is especially useful, therefore, that the vision visor easily flips up and out of the way for moving from aided to unaided vision and for moving around a work space.
on September 29, 2016
I have several of the Donegan OptiVISOR’s in various magnifications so I know what to expect in regards to quality. I never had a problem, until now. I bought the DA-7 magnification for very close-up work and when it arrived I was shocked to find the glass lenses literally falling out of the plastic frame.
So, no problem, I’ll simply snap the lenses into place and write this off as a poor assembly job by the manufacturer. After numerous attempts to get the lenses to snap into place I gave up as I was afraid of breaking the plastic frame. It appears the glass lenses are just not contoured properly and I presume the factory assembler reached the same conclusion.
As is my usual approach, I first tried to contact the manufacturer via their customer service e-mail. I try to do this before writing a product review whenever possible. I got no response so here is my review. I will now take this through the very good Amazon product return/exchange channels. I had hoped to avoid that and simply get a new lens assembly from the manufacturer. Now they’ll have to replace the whole visor. I do prefer the glass lenses compared to the molded optical plastic. They are more scratch resistant IMO.
UPDATE: Okay, Amazon shipped another right away before the first one was returned. I couldn't believe my eyes. The replacement has lenses that also are not positioned well. This can't be right! How can a product with uneven lens positioning be appropriate for precision binocular vision? If I'm wrong I wish the Donegan folks would educate me but they don't respond.
UPDATE: After writing a letter to the Donegan president I did finally get a response. They shipped me a new lens plate and asked that I return the questionable one, which I did. The newest plate is much better with the two glass lenses aligned well. So, I’m improving my review to 4 stars because I believe the quality of Donegan products is usually good.
review image review image
on June 20, 2016
Exactly what I needed to get up close on my detail work with my oil commissioned paintings!
review image
on May 7, 2017
I bought the DA-4, 2x Mag with a focal length of 10". I like the product but when I measure the focal length it's only 7". I put on my glasses and that doesn't change (I'm near sighted). I also bought the loop and tried it with the 2x mag and focal length was 3". I expected that distance with the loop. But the product clearly says 2 power with a 10" focal length and that simple is not true for me. That means more neck strain than was anticipated. If the lens itself could be held back from your eyes that would increase the distance from your eyes to the object in focus. The head gear is not adjustable in that way and seemingly would provide much more adjustability if it were. The lens are held in with small screws and nuts requiring some fiddling with a wrench when it could have been produced with a wing nut or knurled nut that doesn't req a wrench. This means the loop and changing lens is more of an issue. Not a show stopper but the focal length should be understood as inaccurate.
on December 3, 2015
I wanted to see how these compared with the too-good-to-be-true cheap SE MH1047L Illuminated Multi-Power LED Head Magnifier, so I bought them both. You do indeed get what you pay for. The OptiVisor's lenses show good detail across the whole field of view, and while the headset isn't made of luxury materials, it's comfortable to wear. The cheap-o ones only have a sharp focus at one spot and are blurry everywhere else, and the headband digs painfully into my scalp.

The lenses on the OptiVisor are annoying to switch out (you need to unscrew them from the frame), and they really cost too much. But better to spend too much money on something that works, than to spend less and get something worthless.
on March 9, 2015
As I sat naturally working on a beaded jewelry design, I tried to measure the distance from my eye to where I normally held/ observed the materials. The 2x at 10 inches focus is perfect. My back is comfortable. The view is clear and I can see the bead hole better, which helps me work faster. I thought wearing the visor would feel odd, though not all all. To adjust the visor to fit the head securely and comfortably all you need to do is turn the dial in the back. It is so easy to adjust! I can't believe I did not own one of these before today. I also paint and I find the magnification very helpful when I want to focus on precise, fine details.
on September 8, 2016
I use these for watchmaking and soldering of small SMA components. I love them. The optics are great. The first time I purchase one, I was stupid and purchased the highest magnification. #5 (this one) is much better for most applications. The optics are real ground glass and they hold up to cleaning.

The head piece is slightly uncomfortable. A redesign here would be advised. I end up with a red patch on my forehead when I wear these for too long. I'm sure that there is a way to modify these to make them more comfortable, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Overall, these are a good value and a great tool. Donegan has been doing this for 50 years I'd guess. There are cheap chinese knockoffs, but in my world these are worth a few extra bucks for a quality, genuine product.
on February 10, 2017
This is my first magnifier....been too proud.....wished I hadn't been. These are wonderful. The only thing they need is a light....there are light kits on amazon, but I have no idea how well they work out. If you're working on a bench that's really lit well, you won't need a light. But I use these all over the place because my eyes are so bad. Focused field of view is about ten inches like they say. You step up again in magnification and your focus field is even less. In my search for these, that's s fairly standard caveat. They are reasonably comfortable...even forget I have them on sometimes. I think for the money, these are boss. Made in the US(wow), real people to deal with if you have any problems.