Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,306 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,228 reviews
on September 16, 2017
This novel has a ring of familiarity like I don't know, Alice in Wonderland or even a little of the Wizard of Oz. I didn't engage with the main character, Richard Mayhew much. He was a little too milk toast and predictably weak guy that finds his inner strength in the end but his character just didn't have much magnetism. Several other characters had possibilities but were never developed or around enough to be able to latch on to. The Marquis comes into the story and is certainly intriguing but I was left with so many more questions about who he was and why he was in the story so prominently. There's enough violence in this book that it might need a PG rating and the two henchmen, Croup an Vandersomething are the stuff of nightmares. In fact, they will probably inspire a few nightmares like something from a Stephen King novel. It wasn't an edge of your seat, can't put it down kind of scary though. It was a little predictable even the supposed surprise twist of the Marquis (spoilers). It had some funny moments and the dialogue was smart and witty but it was almost as if the book was written around a few good one liners. Well not quite that bad but there definitely needed to be more. I liked Door's character but it was underdeveloped as was the nice young rat speaker woman that guided them across Knightsbridge.
on September 8, 2017
I can't really describe it to do this book justice. I can tell you that I absolutely LOVED it! This book is quite different from anything I've read before and I wasn't sure if i would like it. The premise was very interesting and the book didn't let me down. This book was so, so, so good. When i finished, I had to sit and just let the entire, exciting, wonderful story flow over me and let me fully absorb it. I am now on my way through all of Neil Gaiman.
on September 4, 2017
As I browsed Nexflix I came across the original (still only?) TV version I recalled watching years ago. I was reminded of why I enjoyed it so. Thanks to the miracle of Kindle I quickly down-loaded the book. The book is, as the author promises, the same story only more so. Not only does one get a deeper story, but maybe more importantly, time to savor it. As wonderful now as it was then.
on September 2, 2017
This book made me wish I knew London, because I have a feeling some inside-jokes were splattered throughout. I like the world the main character landed in, framed by the iconic mystery and old-world that I've experienced as London in other stories, and I was delighted by the twists and new creative ideas that emerged with each character. While I wasn't filled with the wonder and inspiration I have experienced in other books, this was a great read that kept going at a good pace. When I learned that this is the same author who wrote "Stardust," which I've seen as a movie, I recognized the literary flavor.
on September 8, 2017
Neil Gaiman is the most creative, brilliant, and twistedly talented mad genius I have ever had the pleasure of reading. I love everything I have read that he has written. He is unpredictable and wonderful and funny and often frightening. He is by far my favorite writer, and has been since Sandman. Neverwhere has all of the afformentioned qualities. You will never look at the disenfranchised and homeless the same way again. The villains are very villainy and hilarious at the same time. Once you start reading Gaiman you will be hooked. I love the book, the talent, and the man. Get to know him through his work. You will too!
on September 5, 2017
Not just a great story with a fascinating world, it's in the way it's told. The turn of phrase is beautiful, the language carefully chosen. Interesting characters inhabit a world that could be real, you never know. Kept me involved all the way through.
on September 1, 2017
Few authors write books that are worth reading more than once. Neil Gaiman is worth many rereadings. This "compilation" version of Neverwhere is worth rereading annually.
on August 28, 2017
This is the first Gaiman book I've read and even when I didn't completely like it, found it compelling enough to want to see the TV show. And to read the extra chapter.
on September 9, 2017
My very favorite Neil Gaiman book. London above and London below create a mystical and dark atmosphere. The characters are well-developed and the plot is fast and engaging.
on September 7, 2017
Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite authors, and this one is at the top of my list. This grown up fairy tale is just a little dark, and the contemporary setting makes you think twice about what's going on when you aren't paying attention. And it's refreshingly aimed at adults, not "young adults" or adolescents (nothing against that genre, I look for it all the time!), so even more fun!