Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 341 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 354 reviews
on August 14, 2016
This is a must have for anyone who owns a dirt bike. I installed this on my 2015 kx450 and it took me about 30 minutes. It would have taken less time but my gas tank is a pain to take off so I installed it with not taking the tank completely off, so it was a tight fit to get my fingers in there. I recommend using electrical tape and 2 zip ties when wrapping the wire around the spark plug. Use the tape first and then the zip ties. Hardline makes great hour meters for great prices. I also got the tank mount for this and it looks clean and professional. I couldn't be happier.
review image review image review image
on March 17, 2015
I installed this to my 2014 Nissan/Tohatsu outboard boat motor. Installation took about 20 minutes. I was able to bolt it directly to the engine, using an existing bolt under the engine hood. It's out of sight and securely mounted. I simply wrapped the wire around one of the spark plug coil leads and used a zip tie to secure the connection. The hour meter seems to be working well. It was a nice upgrade to a nice boat motor. The tachometer has been useful to monitor engine rpm's when experimenting with different pitch props. 5,500 to 6,000 rpms is the recommended range at wide open throttle. I was able to dial in the RPM's with the best diameter and pitch prop for about 5,800 rpms at wide open throttle for a top speed of 27mph. Many outboards don't have a tachometer so this was a nice upgrade.
review image
on April 25, 2017
Works great after you figure out how to install it. Deduct 1 star for poor instructions/support on Hardline website.

I followed the included instructions for installation on Mercury 9.9 4stroke outboard. (wrap pickup wire 3-4 times around 1 of the plug wires)
The RPM reading was way off after trying all the settings ( 1p1r, 1p2r and 2p1r )

I called my boat mechanic and he suggested that I wrap the pickup wire 2-3 times around plug wire 1 and also 2-3 times around plug wire 2. Doing this and setting the tach to 2p1r cured all issues and its working great.
on August 13, 2014
There's not much to ding the product for. It works exactly as described and installation was straightforward and easy on my generator. It's a shame that a generator for over $500 didn't come with an hour meter so you know when to perform service, because it's almost impossible to keep track of otherwise.

Just a quick summary of the installation process: you wrap a piece of wire around the spark plug wire, secure it with a zip tie, then run that wire to the outside of the generator or whatever it is you're installing it on. My generator, an inverter type, has the engine inside of a closed case. I drilled a small hole in a spot where I wanted to mount the unit and threaded it through there. Then all you have to do is stick the wire into the unit, and mount the meter with two screws. The voltage induced by the ignition coil does the rest.
on May 29, 2016
Great hour meter, gives you the option of viewing RPM's or hours via a little button. I have used this on equipment, if you are using it on 2-cycle equipment like a string trimmer the RPM's will not be accurate, but the hours will be. Tracking g hours helps stay on top of routine and regular maintenance as outlined in a shop manual. If you are like me, running a landscape business, you will use your equipment in one week as much as a typical homeowner would in a year. So using the guide in the manual as far as how many months between servicing will not be accurate and tracking hours is by far the best means of keeping your equipment operating in tip top shape.
on December 3, 2014
Cheapest way to add a tachometer to a Harley that does not come with one. Very easy install-just coil a wire around one of your plug wires and you are set. It works very well, there are two gripes I have with it and I would love for the manufacturer to note these:
- There is no way to turn the unit display OFF, which would save the internal battery
- There is no way to replace the internal battery, making this a disposable unit
- There is a slight delay from read to display, so when you rev your bike you wont see it happen in real-time, only a split second later
on May 19, 2014
Bought this for both some carb work I was doing as well as an hour meter for my snowblower. I played around with it, and it was easy enough to get right. So I had done some carb adjustment and used this to fine tune my RPMs. Completely forgot I had this temporarily attached by tying the sensor wire around the gas cap - remembered after I finished clearing my driveway (keep in mind this was back in Jan/Feb of 2014) that I had it on there - and lo and behold, it had falled and ripped clear away from the sensor wire, as the wire was the only thing I could find. Fast forward to May of 2014 when I'm outside picking up sticks/etc prior to mowing the lawn for the first time of the season, and I come across this little guy again. Keep in mind, this had been through my snowblower, flung to the far reaches of my property, and sat outside for 4 months in some of the coldest weather downstate NY has had in 20 years. A little dinged up, but works perfectly still.
on June 5, 2014
I got this item in the mail today and installed it with little effort on my 6hp outboard motor. The instructions were easy to follow and the unit came set up for a four stroke motor, but the instructions to switch modes seemed straight forward. I used some 3M dual lock strips to anchor it is place so it can be moved.

I purchased this to keep track of hours during the break in period on my motor as well as accumulated hours of operation. The break in period calls for set numbers of hours with a limit on RPMs. This tach will also come in handy while adjusting the carb settings in the future.

I plan to purchase one for each of my generators. The last thing you want to worry about during and outage is keeping track of hours.
on October 13, 2013
I used this for tuning my Stihl chainsaw. It's very responsive. It takes definitely less than a second to updated the reading.
on December 13, 2014
The update rate seems slow, so it's difficult (impossible?) to know your RPM at a particular instant. The averaging time seems to be a few seconds.

Otherwise, it is exactly as described. It's a somewhat functional tachometer. It's rather small, but has been installed on my raceboat for almost two years. So it's rugged and durable, as it's lived outdoors this entire time, survived many races and even a couple of crashes (and occasionally gotten wet). The LCD is somewhat recessed in the housing as you can see, so you have to look at it pretty much straight-on.

The main detriment is the averaging time / update rate, which makes it not very practical.