Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,871 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,096 reviews
on January 4, 2017
I had a last-minute revelation that the cost of a new one would be about the same as a new (original Casio) band and the cost of the additional outer shield (which says "G-Shock) and a jeweler's labor. So I decided on simply getting a new watch, complete with strap, for just a tiny bit more.. I read the reviews first, some pretty scary in talking about non-stainless steel cheapening, or non-functioning ("overly recessed") buttons or faulty light.

I'd say this under oath (and have no vested interest in Casio!) - I've had at least 3 of this exact same model over the past 3 decades or so. All the watches still work, even if a few pins and casings got beat up eventually. Two have had the batteries changed every few years and a new strap once a decade.

This watch is virtually the same exact watch in terms of appearance and function. I was concerned if the calendar included the 2010's, but no worries there. Set it right up, tested that buttons and light-feature are working (they are) and the countdown timer too. Just now I set an alarm and it also worked fine, as always. So that is my experience - an exact-same watch, my "old friend" for snorkeling and day-to-day work - with stopwatch, countdown, and clock all working just fine.

As for manufacture, my last one (whose strap and front harness finally broke) was manufactured in Malaysia, and the one before that in Japan. All are marked with the same model # (different factory codes) and this Chinese incarnation is marked "St. Steel" rather than "stainless" and a few other minor shifts in the back engraving (adding info on the shock casing too). But, so far, wherever it was pieced together or however the parts are procured, this is a standard-issue G-Shock Casio watch, so far exactly the same in appearance and function as my others.

The last thing I'd add is about the comments on skin irritation. Well, I've at times ended up with a red or dry patch on my wrist (especially underneath, as I'll flip the watch to see the front when snorkeling/diving underwater). It's a big piece of steel which may get warm (not from battery; from sun or activity), and the steel back and/or buckle is what has sometimes done a number on my skin too. So I give it a brief rest. For the moment (two days constant wear), no irritation, no difference than any other Casio G-Shock. It's true (but no doubt individual) that the watch and band (bulky and metallic as they are) can cause a rash or dryness, "for some of the people some of the time", but I'm only one person. I don't think it's that common or so big a risk for most people. I wear this watch 24/7 (as it can shower or swim with me and I'm not connected to a phone). Love it still. Time will tell, but so far, so good!
on January 23, 2017
The finishing is what surprised me first. This is really well made. The matt black absorbs light in a way that says it's not just cheap plastic. The crystal remains pristine and scratch free.

The watch is light and easy to wear, the band being quite flexible. It's a bit bigger than I imagined, not quite G-Shock big but will still snag on a tight shirt cuff.

The value for money is extraordinary. I hesitated to upgrade for atomic sync and tough solar, but that drives the price up more than twice. The whole point of this watch is that it is very simple to keep costs down, and the consensus on watch forums seemed to be that the 10 year battery and the tough solar technology die at about the same time anyway, whilst the former is a lot cheaper to replace. As for atomic sync, it would be nice but I'm always near the internet and it takes literally a second to adjust the hour for a new time zone.

I wear this a lot over much nicer and more expensive watches, because it's comfortable and looks neat. I'll reluctantly put on a mechanical watch if I need to meet clients. There's something just great about the minimalist toughness and value for money in this watch. It's philosophically great.
on February 7, 2017
wear them everyday! Original battery work 3 year already!
review image review image
on August 7, 2015
Purpose:
Everyday use.

PROs:
It's a G-shock.
Affordable Price for the quality and brand.
Easy to configure
Simple design, not too flashy but attracts attention from a watch/ timepiece enthusiast.
Size is perfect. It fits under a long sleeved shirt.

CONs:
The light button is a little difficult to access at night. It's hard to differentiate the button with the protective groves of the face.

I love this watch. I own a couple G-shocks and this is by far my new favorite, This is my 1st 5600 Gshock and i will definitely purchase another model in a different variant soon.
review image review image review image review image
on January 7, 2016
I like this watch - especially for the price!

I wore a DW6600 for years and years until it finally got stolen a few months ago. I figured I'd just do what I did last time I lost my original 6600 over 10 years ago - go buy a New Old Stock one on eBay or Amazon. Well lo and behold, it turn out that Bradley friggin Cooper ruined that for me by prominently wearing one in "American Sniper"... Now all of a sudden a NOS 6600 was selling for over $200.
Well screw that. I loved the 6600 but truthfully I often felt it was too big and it hurt my hand when I bent my wrist back. So I decided to see what else there was - and was delighted to find that Casio had re-released the original 5600.
In the course of my browsing I also saw the 5610 and was interested to see how the two might compare.

So I purchased both - and of the two and I ended up keeping the 5610.
Here, briefly is why...

This one has simplicity on its side - there are only the 4 traditional modes: Time, Alarm, Stopwatch, and Timer.
The 5610 by contrast has another mode - a 2nd time mode that appears on the first click through the modes. This mode tells you the time in one of any of the other time zones in the world, and as far as I'm concerned this is a completely useless feature... I suppose if you are one of those people that always needs to know what time it is in Hong Kong and can't seem to remember how to add or subtract then this is great. Otherwise it's just a useless extra step I have to go through to get to the other modes.
It's a small thing but it annoys me and so I consider this another mark in the 5600's favor.
Another thing that stands out on the 5600 vs the 5610 is the length of time the EL stays lit. The 5600 stays illuminated for just over 2 seconds, the 5610 for maybe just 1.5 seconds - it maybe seem like a tiny difference but it is noticeable, noticeable enough that when I first got my 5610 I was annoyed by it.
And lastly - the 5610 flashes it's EL when an alarm goes off. This is actually a pretty useful feature for me since I often work in noisy and dark circumstances.

So why then did I decide on the 5610?
Well - the 5610 has 4 alarms, which comes in handy for me.
The build quality just feels way better to me.
The numerals are larger.
The screen is brighter - I mean even without the EL.
It never has to have the time set - Atomic clock sync takes care of that.
It is solar powered so will never need a battery replacement.
It looks nicer (to me) with the red accents around the face.
It's more flexible setting alarms and timers since you can go both up and down if you accidentally go past your alarm time (the 5610 only goes up).
But the BIGGEST hit against the 5600 is this: the damn ADJUST button is SO recessed into the case that I can't even activate it with my fingers. Now granted I have big fingers and no nails, but that is probably true for a lot of guys who might buy this watch. And the fact that I need a friggin' toothpick or paperclip or a pen to press and hold it down is really a total deal killer. Both my old 6600 and the 5610 have a recessed button that can't be activated accidentally, but both can be easily activated by me despite my big fat fingers.

So in the end I decided to spend the extra $40 and keep the 5610 and I'm pretty happy so far...

*Note that the price difference seems to have gotten bigger since just a few weeks ago and now the 5610 is about $60 more.
on May 20, 2017
In 1980 I bought my first Casio watch, a Water Sports model with a stainless steel screw back case made in Japan for $100, which is $300 in today's inflated dollars. I still have it today and love its simple no nonsense clear display with just the necessary information. This new G-SHOCK watch is the same basic watch with a much improved EL backlight and an auto calendar that sets the day of the week based on the date and can display February 29 in leap years. Although the base G-SHOCK is now made in China, it still has that nice Casio quality that is present in the original, but at a much lower price. I picked it up 10 days ago when Amazon had it on sale for just $35.39. :)
on April 22, 2016
Absolutely love this watch. My father recently passed and this was the watch I remember him wearing when I was growing up, so I decided to buy one to relive those times. The only issue I have with the watch (the same issue my father had) is that it's pretty small. It barely fits around my wrist, but that's part of the charm I guess. Besides the nostalgia, it's an exceptionally well-built​ watch. Keeps perfect time and is an absolute tank. The only reason for the 4 stars is the sizing.
review image review image
on March 9, 2014
Update to review:

Still own this watch, still wear it daily. I just completed Tough Mudder wearing this and it survived! Did not fall off, did not bother me and still working.

Original Review:
I am writing this review over a year after owning this watch. I wear this watch everywhere I am not in need of my nicer watch, including work. Very durable, have dropped it and banged it many times. This watch truly lives up to its "G-Shock" name as it it the longest lasting cheaper watch I've ever owned. Defiantly recommend
on March 10, 2017
It's cheap, it's waterproof and it tells time. This thing will likely outlast me. And when the battery dies in a few years, I can just replace it with a new one for $1. You can't go wrong with this.
on March 30, 2014
Buy this watch if:

You want a G-shock that isn't huge
You like the retro square Casio look
You like simplicity in features and don't need fancy bells and whistles
You want a dependable and extremely durable watch

Don't buy if:
You have need of atomic time, multiple alarms, temperature gauges, compass, holograms, and other fancy extras
You consistently use the stopwatch or countdown feature, you may want to reconsider, as the reset/program button is recessed and very hard to press (This is the reason why I didn't give it 5 Stars)
You need a watch that can be totally silent, as you cannot disable the beep that sounds as you cycle through modes

Summary: The recessed button is a pain, but this is one of the best watches I have ever owned.