Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 220 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 271 reviews
on March 1, 2017
I'll start by saying that I am a knife guy. I love blades, any and all blades (except the ridiculous fantasy stuff). I collect knives. I have several hand made knives, dozens of quality pocket knives etc, so I'd like to think I know a thing or two on knives...

So, the wife and I have always had a crap Farbeware set we received as a gift 16 years ago on our wedding day. The blades were all serrated, cheap plastic handles, 3/4 tang, all in all, useless. Lately all the steak knives have been breaking off so we decided it's time to get a NICE matching set instead of the hodge-podge of Rada,Kershaw, Henkles, tramontina,Calaphon we have now.
As with anything, buying as a set is risky, as you often get more than you want and never what you need. I hit Amazon,Ebay, and google and commenced a week long search. I read review after review on make after make, on blade after blade.
Of course Wusthoff and J.A. Henkles are mentioned as top choices, but I am not ready to set down $400 in a house with 4 kids who may use a knife as a hatchet.
I have never prided myself in buying Chinese anything, but It's very hard to avoid this problem at times, and fact is not everything they make is garbage (contrary to popular belief) and it just so happens this knife set is one.

These arrived well packed, individually with tip protectors and cardboard sleeves in a plastic wrap. I love the classic styling. many knives now-a-days have focused on handle/blade design and less on quality. This may be a classic case of function-over-form, and the timeless styling kills it here. Every blade passed the slice newspaper slice test. Every blade balances well when grasped with two fingers at the bolster (where handle and blade meet). Each handle fits the tang beautifully. No overhang, no gaps, and they are matched perfectly. The handle contour is great, feels natural in the hand. No knife seems to front or rear heavy. Even the sheers are SHARP (yes, they come apart for cleaning). The steel is a carbon steel so rust staining is a possibility, which can happen with any blade if you do not take care of it.
Did I mention the blades are sharp? Not sure on edge life yet, but I sharpen or hone my blades with every use and the built in block sharpner makes it that much easier (I used it on other knives, it works well)
The kit includes 1 8" Chef's knife which every kitchen needs, 1 8" Santoku which is a personal favorite, 1 8" slicing/carving knife (which is great if you butcher your own meat. The long narrow sharp blade is perfect for brisket slicing). 1 5" utility knife, 1 bread knife, 2 small pairing knives (3, 3.5" when has a contour blade for peeling, one is great for slicing in hand like celery and such), 1 boning/filet knife (great for working in meat around bone with it's narrow blade profile) and EIGHT steak knives. The steak knives are a personal favorite. They are non-serrated (huge bonus) and just feel so natural in hand. They use a drop/spear point style blade so working around bone,fat, and gristle is easy, very easy. The blades are sharp so little effort is required to slice through tough cuts of meat. Then we have the shears. I rarely use kitchen sheers but these are actually sharp enough to be useful, lol. Plus they have a screwdriver on one hand, bottle opener on the other. The knife block is a nice looking addition to any kitchen and the built in sharpener really removes any excuse for a dull knife. No hone/stone is included but not a deal breaker.
So, while this is not a $500 set, I will guarantee it will easily run with those sets, time will only tell. If these could be used FAIRLY and have the name blocked out, knife for knife I think most pros would be VERY IMPRESSED.
In shor, this is not some cheap set to be glanced over on name alone. (stock photo included for reference.)
review image
on December 2, 2016
I am very cautious when buying from amazon and always lean towards the reviews before deciding on a purchase.to clarify,amazon is my go to spot and have always been satisfied with my purchases.my review on these knives so far with fairly good use for about 2 months.these are very sharp knives and well built in my opinion.they have carved turkeys,cut steak,tomatoes,potatoes,work the scissors to death and they always deliver.we don't put them in the dishwasher but at times have laid in the sink wet for a day or so with no sign of rust at all including the handle rivets.speaking of the handle,these are super well built and don't suspect any issues with them ever.if your looking for a great set of knives and enjoy cooking no matter what the dish these knives will perform and the steak knives look great at the dinner table.an added bonus is that it comes with a built in sharpener.giving a 4 for now and will update in six months.......

6 month review

Still 100% satisfied with this product. Pull the trigger and buy if on the fence,easily compares to higher price knives but with much lower cost.
on October 10, 2016
64 and never had a full set of quality knives. Got by fine before, and make great food, but these knives are spoiling me. Sharp, easy to the hand. Used them for a while now, and no problems! I love the in block sharpener. Good quality knives for the money! My old knives are sitting by the door ready to go to goodwill!
on March 11, 2012
This is a VERY good set of knives for the price I paid. (The price was less than what ONE excellent German 8" chef knife will cost at full retail). That being said, one must keep his or her expectations in a safe and sane place. These are not professional knives. Then again, if you are not a professional chef, do you really need a $1,000 set of knives? There is no hyperbole there. If one buys 18 German forged steel knives, one is talking well over 1,500 dollars--no matter the brand.

Please: If you are a professional expecting professional steel, please do not dump on these knives because they do not meet your expectations. If you want excellent quality for an incredible price, these will almost certainly delight you. If you want German steel and the price that comes with it, Amazon has those.

PROS:

* Solid, forged knives for the cost of stamped steel. If you want knives to toss in the dishwasher or "soak" in the sink prior to cleaning, steer clear. Hand wash these knives right after use and dry with a clean towel. (This is not unique; any good knife should be washed by hand with a soft sponge). I encourage anyone looking at these (or any) knives to ignore negative comments from people who ruined their knives in the dishwasher. That is simply user error.

* The integrated sharpener is surprisingly useful; it does work as advertised* (* One caveat--See below)

* The knives feel balanced and are quite sharp out of the box. The integrated sharpener works, but some say there is no way around a good griped steel. It depends on the user. If you want the steel, there is a slot for it (in lieu of one knife).

* The steak knives are not serrated. They may be sharpened like any other knife in the package.

* Solid bolsters and solid handles. Full tang. Three rivets. Solid and heavy. Even the steak knives feel quite nice.

CONS

* * The integrated sharpener works great out of the box--IF your block arrives with a clear slot. My block was not milled/cleared properly. Bits of wood clogged the opening to the sharpener. I had to use one of my old knives to rake / push out bits of wood to allow the sharpener to function. This is my primary reason for deducting one star on this product. In general, the block does not measure up to the knives--in ANY respect. The contrast is quite noticable.

* The steak knife slots are not milled to precision. Even a very small milling mistake = 1/4 an inch visual distortion when one inserts steak knives into slots adjacent to one another. This really hurts the aesthetics of the whole set. The set looks cheap with the steak knives sitting about like jagged teeth. The knives themselves are good. (See above).

FINAL

This is an excellent value for the money. If you want a nice presentation, buy a properly made block. The block is the loose bolt in this deal.
on April 22, 2017
These knives are GREAT! They cut through everything like butter. I did a lot of research before buying these, and I'm glad I chose them. I have a set of CUTCO, and these are so much better. Plus they come with a sharpener, so they can be kept sharp. I can cut through frozen chicken with these, and it is as if I were cutting through non frozen chicken. Highly recommend.
on March 21, 2014
I really wanted to write a great review on this set. I purchased this as a Christmas gift for my wife. It was a good value as compared to similar cutlery sets. Lots of knives for various purposes, a pair of scissors and a sharpening unit. My disappointment is that the blades, for some reason do not hold a good cutting edge. We literally have to run a knife blade through the sharpener every time we wash and reinstall them. We've never washed them in the dish washer, nor have we let them soak - so the problem is not in the way we've treated them. I think the steel just isn't the quality I had expected.
on September 15, 2015
I have owned Chicago Cutlery just as my parents. I was looking for a new set that included some of the things missing from my first original set. I still plan to keep and use both. I have this set now which is beautiful and everything my wooden set has been. The new set includes steak knives, a santuko, shears for boning a whole chicken and its own built in sharpener. The santuko is now my go to knife when slicing vegetables as they do not stick to the knife like my chef's knife. A sharp knife makes jobs easier to complete. I stayed with Chicago Cutlery for the brand and the unfailing years of great use. I sharpen them on a regular basis and keep the wood handles oiled. The new set is a bit heavier but well balanced in my hand and feels like nothing when using it. I will admit I sometimes just grab a steak knife to cut the vegetables and it works as well as the parers that it came with. I have no doubt this will be the last set I buy since the first set is still going strong after 30 plus years. Highly recommend, well priced, and for most homemakers well worth the money for a lifetime of use.
on March 21, 2017
My husband and I have been looking for a nice set of reasonably priced knives. We are not professional chefs but we do cook dinner nightly and were often frustrated by our old knives. We've had these knives for about two months and we are very pleased. They are easy to handle and they are sharp enough to make chopping veggies a breeze. They also look very nice sitting on our counter as the handles look expensive.
on March 18, 2016
Super sharp knives right out of the box! My mother could not be happier. They cut through anything with a noticeably different ease than the prior knife set. The in-block sharpener is amazing as well. With it being in the block it is easy to sharpen because you don't have to hold it still. A few ins and outs and the knife is ready for action again! Mistakenly we did not receive all the listed knives but we did get the correct number of knives.
on February 16, 2012
I like the forged blade, handle style, the weight, the sharpness ...Frankly, the most I liked is the price point vs. the quality. It is not as refined as those Made in Germany. Its quality also lacks German consistency. I would be greedy if I was looking for all those fine characters for the price I paid. If you are like me, sometimes picky (on fine goods in particular), you will find inperfections on 50+% of the set. A couple of light brushes with the build-in sharpener fixed most but only two, for which I called for warranty service and got replaced. I like how my call was handled and how easy the issue was resolved.

I have also bought 'Wusthof 4455 10-Inch Sharpening Steel, Ceramic' Wusthof 4455 10-Inch Sharpening Steel, Ceramicto go along with this wonderful knife set. I am sure it will server me well for a long time. Set expectations at a reasonable level, you will not regret.