Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 1, 2017
I'll start by saying that I am a knife guy. I love blades, any and all blades (except the ridiculous fantasy stuff). I collect knives. I have several hand made knives, dozens of quality pocket knives etc, so I'd like to think I know a thing or two on knives...

So, the wife and I have always had a crap Farbeware set we received as a gift 16 years ago on our wedding day. The blades were all serrated, cheap plastic handles, 3/4 tang, all in all, useless. Lately all the steak knives have been breaking off so we decided it's time to get a NICE matching set instead of the hodge-podge of Rada,Kershaw, Henkles, tramontina,Calaphon we have now.
As with anything, buying as a set is risky, as you often get more than you want and never what you need. I hit Amazon,Ebay, and google and commenced a week long search. I read review after review on make after make, on blade after blade.
Of course Wusthoff and J.A. Henkles are mentioned as top choices, but I am not ready to set down $400 in a house with 4 kids who may use a knife as a hatchet.
I have never prided myself in buying Chinese anything, but It's very hard to avoid this problem at times, and fact is not everything they make is garbage (contrary to popular belief) and it just so happens this knife set is one.

These arrived well packed, individually with tip protectors and cardboard sleeves in a plastic wrap. I love the classic styling. many knives now-a-days have focused on handle/blade design and less on quality. This may be a classic case of function-over-form, and the timeless styling kills it here. Every blade passed the slice newspaper slice test. Every blade balances well when grasped with two fingers at the bolster (where handle and blade meet). Each handle fits the tang beautifully. No overhang, no gaps, and they are matched perfectly. The handle contour is great, feels natural in the hand. No knife seems to front or rear heavy. Even the sheers are SHARP (yes, they come apart for cleaning). The steel is a carbon steel so rust staining is a possibility, which can happen with any blade if you do not take care of it.
Did I mention the blades are sharp? Not sure on edge life yet, but I sharpen or hone my blades with every use and the built in block sharpner makes it that much easier (I used it on other knives, it works well)
The kit includes 1 8" Chef's knife which every kitchen needs, 1 8" Santoku which is a personal favorite, 1 8" slicing/carving knife (which is great if you butcher your own meat. The long narrow sharp blade is perfect for brisket slicing). 1 5" utility knife, 1 bread knife, 2 small pairing knives (3, 3.5" when has a contour blade for peeling, one is great for slicing in hand like celery and such), 1 boning/filet knife (great for working in meat around bone with it's narrow blade profile) and EIGHT steak knives. The steak knives are a personal favorite. They are non-serrated (huge bonus) and just feel so natural in hand. They use a drop/spear point style blade so working around bone,fat, and gristle is easy, very easy. The blades are sharp so little effort is required to slice through tough cuts of meat. Then we have the shears. I rarely use kitchen sheers but these are actually sharp enough to be useful, lol. Plus they have a screwdriver on one hand, bottle opener on the other. The knife block is a nice looking addition to any kitchen and the built in sharpener really removes any excuse for a dull knife. No hone/stone is included but not a deal breaker.
So, while this is not a $500 set, I will guarantee it will easily run with those sets, time will only tell. If these could be used FAIRLY and have the name blocked out, knife for knife I think most pros would be VERY IMPRESSED.
In shor, this is not some cheap set to be glanced over on name alone. (stock photo included for reference.)
review image
33 comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2017
UPDATED BELOW
I just received this knife set today and at first glance they are really nice looking, sturdy, full tang, super sharp knives. I was really impressed at first but on closer inspection, I noticed that the small paring knife has a small rust spot on the handle as well as several small nicks on the plastic part of the handle. The shears also have a small amount of rust in between the blades. I realize these are small spots but these are brand new out of the box today! What will they look like after some use? Will the rest of the knives also develop rust spots pretty quickly? Was this just overlooked by the QC folks? These knives have a lifetime warranty so hopefully this will get sorted out but for now I’m not a happy customer.

UPDATE: A few minutes after posting the above review, I was again inspecting these knives and found a rather large rust spot on the spine of the 3.5 inch paring knive as well (comes with two paring knives, both arrived with rust spots). I attached photos of both paring knives and the shears.

UPDATE #2 11/22/17: I contacted Chicago Cutlery directly, told them about the issues above, and provided them the photos. Chicago Cutlery is sending me a replacement set of knives!! As I stated initially, the knives appear sturdy and are very sharp. I have been using the rest of the knives (without the rust spots) for a couple of weeks now and they are very nice. I am really impressed that this company is backing up their claim of a lifetime warranty. Not all companies do that these days. Making good on their warranty has earned some additional stars and my future business.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on March 18, 2016
Super sharp knives right out of the box! My mother could not be happier. They cut through anything with a noticeably different ease than the prior knife set. The in-block sharpener is amazing as well. With it being in the block it is easy to sharpen because you don't have to hold it still. A few ins and outs and the knife is ready for action again! Mistakenly we did not receive all the listed knives but we did get the correct number of knives.
on October 9, 2017
Great knives. Vey sharp and so far have stayed that way. Only complaint is the very tips of the steak knives get bent occasionally when being placed back in to the block. However it's almost impossible to see the bend and doesn't affect its daily use. It's nice to cook with sharp knives and these have made cooking better for me.
on September 3, 2017
We had a few defects with a couple of our knives that were minor overall. We've been using them for 9 months now and they're still just as sharp without having to have sharpened them yet. We've been sure to keep them out of water for extended periods of time (just wash and dry immediately) and no rust issues. Very happy with the purchase, and a definitely a much better upgrade than my college-aged knives from target I've had for years!
on November 14, 2017
I have been waiting for a bit to do a review on these. I have had them about a month now, use at lease one of them every single day, and they have been amazing! I hand wash, dry, and put away right after use and have had no trouble with any kind of rusting or anything so far and they are still sharp! I haven't had to use the sharpener yet, so I'm not sure how good that works. As of now, I am super happy with these knives and hope that continues to be the case!
on July 2, 2017
I bought this set after no one bought us a knife set for my fiancee's bridal shower. I don't have extensive experience with this set, so I can't speak to edge retention, but I feel confident that they will last a long time before they need a good sharpening.
on March 5, 2017
Much better quality than expected. We are very pleased with the knife set so far !
on August 29, 2017
This is a very nice set of knives for the money. very sharp and easy to keep that way with the built in sharpener. Don't read the reviews about them rusting. This only happens if you don't know how to care for good knifes. I'v had mine for a year now and they all still look brand new. Hand wash-dry and put away every time and you will have this set for a life time.
on June 15, 2017
Very nice set! I am pleased with them so far. The built in knife sharpener is an added plus and works very well!