Your Garage Best kids' books of February Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Beauty & Grooming Shop Popular Services GoldenGlobes GoldenGlobes GoldenGlobes  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis LaLa GNO Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 4,519 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,729 reviews
on April 8, 2015
This is so cute and funny Roenahn loves SpongeBob... animals are so smart... she watches this on my tablet..
VINE VOICEon September 18, 2003
Of course I'm going to buy it! This has got to be the first great cartoon of the 21st century, and I'm one of the adult "Spongebob underground." That is, the adults out there who watch this show but are afraid to tell any of their adult friends for fear of being laughed at.
Now, it's a bit annoying that after collecting several Spongebob DVD's, they come out with this collection so soon. I'm getting to where I'll never buy individual DVDs of a TV series again, because this happens over and over. If a show is phenominally popular, ignore everything untill the season-at-a-time box sets come out. I've got the message.
Now, how about the folks at Nick releasing some of the earlier classics. How about a Ren and Stimpy box set, or a Rocko's Modern Life box set? What fun those would be!
on April 19, 2015
Excellent for the kids.
on July 24, 2015
on August 14, 2004
SPONGEBOB IS ONE OF THE BEST CARTOONS EVER CREATED!!! There I said it & I mean it. A lot of people (not Spongebob fans of course) think this cartoon is totally senseless. But the ones I've actually been able to sit down & force to watch a few episodes have happily converted. Okay the premise is ridiculous, but that's the fun of it & the characters are great. Don't mind that a lot of the things that happen don't make sense, it's a CARTOON. Even the characters make fun of themselves, like how can they hear without ears & how can they make fire if they're under water? It's also kind of educational. WHAT!! Did I say "EDUCATIONAL"? YES!! Just watch the episodes & see what our favorite sponge & friends learn about lying, stealing, cheating, greed & being mean to friends & you'll see what I mean. Of course the lessons aren't thrown in your face, but they're in there & my son understands. It makes me a proud Spongebob fan (& father) when my (now six-year old) son looks at me & says, "Mr. Krabs only loves money & that's bad." Or "Spongebob wouldn't have gone through all that if he didn't lie." I know there are still skeptics out there (I was one) but a cartoon like this doesn't just become what it is without there being "something" special about it. One of my favorite things on DVD's are the "behind the scenes" & "making of" features & this DVD has it's own list of features that gives people like me more insight & understanding of what goes into making Spongebob special. This is a great buy! So stop reading & buy it! BUY IT NOW! GO AHEAD!!
on February 19, 2016
Somewhere in Europe, the German DVD re-release of SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete First Season does live up to its name. Let's explain that.

In North America the Region 1 DVD releases doesn't have the very first episode called Help Wanted, because it contains an oldies song (Livin' in the Sunlight, Lovin' in the Moonlight) by Tiny Tim. That episode can only be found on 10 Happiest Moments DVD, and The First 100 Episodes Box Set.
However, the German release does have very first episode which makes their set the most definitive release in the world and in English and German dubbed[¹].
Alongside all of the episodes from the first season, the DVD authoring playback of these episodes isn't marathon mode but feels just like broadcast version. So what's the point? It's SpongeBob as we all know it, NTSC or not!

¹: SpongeBob Schwammkopf - Die komplette Season 1 -- PAL Region 2
review image review image
on January 27, 2017
SpongeBob SquarePants Season 1 is only pure, silly entertainment. Do not expect it to be educational public television. With that being said we baby sit our 1 1/2 year old and he loves it. One of the first few words he spoke was "Ponge Bob".

We watch it on both from the Nickelodeon App our Apple TV and our Amazon Fire Stick. Both have merits. Show on the Apple TV are shown in full HD screen with a great picture, BUT there are Nickelodeon commercials. Spongebob on our Amazon Firestick play episodes back to back without commercials, BUT the picture is in standard definition with the black bars on the sides of the screen.

We've watched every episode so many times that we've memorized almost every line and its obvious that the writers anticipate some of the humor going over the children's heads and is aimed at the adults watching with them.

As a final note, when my wife worked at a Christian School this was one of the forbidden cartoons to show at after school. If you have to judge that type of thing, watch the episode at night before watching it with your child. Don't ban an entire series because of one or two scenes.
on February 29, 2004
I purchased this DVD collection because of my love of Spongebob. This collection is only the first season so there are episodes on the individual releases that are not on this one. However, this collection is not 'complete'. The pilot episode 'Help Wanted' was left out. The pilot episode shows where spongebob gets ready to apply for his job at the Krusty Krab. Then has to prove himself, as the great fry cook he is, by preparing krabby patties for a mass of customers. I'm not sure how you could call it complete w/out it. The missing episode was the only disappointing factor of this set. I am a huge fan of Spongebob as are my kids!!
on January 9, 2016
Watched this off and on with my nephew and a couple of his friends. I did watch a few episodes when it originally aired about 15 years ago. And it's nice to see that, much like Looney Toons and classic cartoons like those, this can bridge generational gaps.

This show does in a way remind me of another old Nickelodeon show called Rocko's Modern Life. It shares some of the same premise, and some of the same charm and humor. Though Rocko's Modern Life had oat more sly and age inappropriate humor in it. Spongebob Squarepants sits more firmly on the safe for kids side of humor.

But there is still some fun to be had for adults. A couple episodes did get some genuine laughs out of me. This show did always do well with viewers of all ages, and that's because the writing and humor are sharp enough for anyone to enjoy.

My nephew and his friends all enjoyed the episodes they watched. And even though this season is older than any of the kids that were watching it, they didn't seem to mind or care. It's a fairly timeless show.

In all, you could do a lot worse as far as entertainment options for kids go. And it probably won't annoyance older people watching it either. This is one I definitely recommend for both kids and adults.
on August 17, 2016
Was dragged kicking and screaming to the TV while being forced to watch with my grand kids. Pleasantly surprised and after the first few episodes I became a fan. Very clever. Primary characters' expressive animation is well done (and a little over the top). Many references to old TV shows about which kids would have no clue. Maybe that's a nod for adults dragged kicking and screaming to the TV. It's fun to exercise the kids' brains with obvious impossibilities - like underwater swimming pools and fires. Was nice to genuinely laugh at a TV show for a change. No gutter talk, innuendos, political propaganda or a phony laugh track. Quite refreshing, actually. I hope future episodes don't succumb to the usual Hollywood tilt.