Industrial Deals Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on December 30, 2016
This radio is *twice* the size and weight as the venerable Sony ICF-79S and the audio is noticeably better (audio quality in the shower is not critical for me). However, despite other reviewers' comments, I did not find the receiver sensitivity (AM or FM) to be an improvement - and receiver sensitivity *is* important to the listening experience.
OK - The Sangean does have a flashlight that the Sony lacks...

If you're shopping for your first shower radio, this is a good one.
If you're looking for a replacement for your ICF-79S, keep looking.
review imagereview image
22 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 29, 2015
Really like this radio. Bought it to replace a Sharper Image shower radio I've had for years. This unit is much more solid and well made. The reception for FM is excellent, AM is good and I even pick up a NOAA weather station although I am not near a large city. The unit (H201) has a thin white rubberized antenna cord about 38 inches long. It also comes with a large white plate to hang unit on wall, 2 fat screws and 2 plastic wall anchors, 3 thick double sided tape pieces and a detachable shoulder strap. The LED flashlight on the side is a neat bonus. The manual is very easy to understand and the set up is quick. The unit weighs 2lbs 13 oz with two D batteries installed. I did not purchase the adapter to plug the unit in as I'm trying to get away from cords in the bathroom. I don't listen to the radio for long periods so anticipate the batteries will last longer than a year. The shoulder strap is a bit short for me but I don't plan on toting this unit around. I'm going to buy another one for the kitchen. Will definitely recommend to others.
review imagereview imagereview image
0Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 19, 2016
 LOVE LOVE LOVE this shower CLOCK RADIO!!! I just used it today for the first time and played music straight from my phone! My phone was on the sink and I was in the shower! The sound is AMAZING!!! I bought this radio for the clock so I always know the time while in the shower! But the radio/bluetooth option is such an OUTSTANDING added bonus! This is a must buy!!!

I am posting a video with this review. Sorry the picture quality is so crappy. I used a phone to take the video and it looks great on the phone but very distorted on my computer. :( The sound is what is most important and you do get that from the video so make sure your volume is up! :)
11 comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 4, 2016
Just received this great radio after a month of sea travel from US to the Philippines of my Amazon purchases and this was the first box I've opened.
Because of my previous great Sangean purchases, I was excited to see this new variant of Sangean radio.

The first thing I've noticed is how huge and heavy this radio is.

Upon turning on, the reception is great as expected from any Sangean radio.
The auto-tuning is not as fast as my PR-D18, but it was able to receive a lot of AM stations while the FM station reception improves with the use of built-in wire antenna. The maximum volume level is loud enough for home use.

The quality of speaker is decent using its Bluetooth feature, how I wished it also had the Digital Bass Boost the other Sangean models have.

The built in flashlight at the side is a big bonus for emergeny purposes.

It uses 2 D size batteries, which you can easily purchase at nearby stores during brownouts. I used 2 AA Eneloop rechargable batteries paired with AA to D plastic adaptors.

Tested it in the rain and boy, it's indeed waterproof. My unit had a problem with the rubber
seal at adaptor connector not fully sealed but thanks to Amazon, my problem was quickly resolved.

Overall, I can highly recommend this radio...
review image
on June 14, 2016
Primarily, I bought this radio so that I would not miss parts of my favorite christian sermons broadcast while I am getting ready for work in the morning. One baby boombox radio (You know, the ones that are almost round.) serves my kitichen / dining room / living room area. So I put this Sangean in the back part of my appartment in the bathroom, up on a hook, on the wall above the back of the shower. Furthermore, with bathroom accoustics, the sound reaches into my bedroom for when I am dressing. The sound is strong and mellow, actually soo much better than my other baby boom box radio that almost rattles if reception is poor. The Sangean's reception is clear and unwaviering, unlike the little boom box with the telescoping antenae that continually need adjusting. And the preselected channel buttons of the Sangean H201 zeros me right in on the channel without wasting time. 5 channels are more than sufficient, especially since I use #1( a channel about 60 miles away) almost every morning. This has a good solid feel, but is not too heavy for my wall hook. I bought a 4.5 to 7 lb removable wall hook ( over twice what is necessary) on Amazon because I love my new radio and don't want it to fall. I'm glad I did not pay more for the H202 because this fulfills my needs wonderfully. This is an excellent basic radio. But if you are seeking more ways to interconnect/communicate with your radio, this one is not for you. Oh yes, I use its timer to remind me when it is time to wind things up at home and go to work. Hope some of this helps you decide.
on November 18, 2016
This radio has become basic to my family's life. We use it several times a day, everyday. One way to think about it is as a crisp and clear bluetooth speaker with a durable, waterproof, portable, easy-to-use radio and emergency light thrown in for free.

We bought it strictly for the shower, but we like to stream music and podcasts form our phones over bluetooth while we cook, so we found ourselves increasingly using this instead of our (also excellent) sangean pr-d5 (which dose not have bluetooth).

It sits in our kitchen most of the time, where we listen to the news, podcasts, etc. But we also take it into the shower or bath with us, to the beach, on picnics, and out to the patio where., for example, its waterproofing pays off as you use it while doing yard work in the rain. We have taken it to hotels and on camping trips to listen to music streamed from our phones

The hanging mechanism is durable, grippy and works as well clipped around a tree branch or canoe thwart as a shower curtain rod.

I can't stand devices that are counterintuitive and/or have little, hard-to read buttons and readouts. This radio appears to have gotten,the attention of serious designers who made it intuitive, easy-to-use, and focused production costs on durability and quality of sound.

We have since bought a sangean h201 (without bluetooth) for our bathroom, where we do not think we really need that feature, but still want a waterproof radio with clear sound.
on February 17, 2017
After 9 months, the radio would not power on. It hangs where the previous sangean (non Bluetooth version) had hung on the shower head for many years. This new H2O2 unit just stopped powering on. Changed batteries and nothing. No sign of water entering the unit or corrosion. Wish I kept the original version I had which still worked when I replaced it with this Bluetooth version. Called customer service and the man told me to take and leave the batteries out of the unit for a day and then reinstall and try to power it up again. It worked for about a week, then it happened again. This time it's dead and not coming back to life. Apparently, from his original instructions, he instantly recognized my complaint so there must be a known issue with this radio. Customer service is apparently one man who is unfortunately coming in 2-1/2 hours late today so I still don't know what going to happen. I am well within the 1 year warranty. I will update after the warranty situation is handled.

UPDATE #1: After about a week of calling Jorge' who supposedly handles the warranty repairs pout of California., Ive been getting the run around. HE blames "Tyrone" for the delay in helping me. When asked, he says his boss' name is "Tyrone". I said to him that is sounds like he's working in his garage because he can't connect you with his boss who is allegedly at extension #104. When you dial the customer support number you often get Jorge' directly. The first time I called I got a young lady who connected me to Jorge. Its a run around. I would recommend that you avoid spending money with this company for the time being. Its been very stall tactic oriented and scam-like.
on August 14, 2016
I MUST SAY, I HAVE TRIED MAAANNNYYY DIFFERENT FM SPEAKER RADIOS, INCLUDING THE SANGEAN PR-D19, PR-D15, AND GE SUPERRADIO. THIS HAS THE BEST FM DX RECEPTION THAT I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED ON A RADIO OF THIS SIZE! IT ONLY ADDS TO THIS THAT IT IS WATERPROOF, HAS OUTSTANDING AM RECEPTION THAT RIVALS MY C CRANE, BLUETOOTH CAPABILITIES, WONDERFUL, WARM SOUND, AND IS FULLY WATERPROOF! WOW! THE LED FLASHLIGHT IS NICE AND BRIGHT AND THE WEATHER BAND ALSO PERFORMS BEAUTIFULLY. IT IS RATHER HEAVY BUT THE HANDLE IS A NICE ONE AND WORKS PERFECTLY. AFTER YEARS OF SEARCHING FOR A GREAT FM RADIO, I AM A VERY HAPPY BOY.

NOTE: THE C. CRANE SKYWAVE'S FM RECEPTION IS NEARLY IDENTICAL TO THIS UNIT WHEN THE ANTENNA IS UPGRADED TO 34". AS IT COMES FROM THE MANUFACTURER THOUGH, THE SANGEAN FAR SURPASSES IT!

ONE NOTE: THE SELECTIVITY, WHILE VERY GOOD, IS PROBABLY THE WEAKEST ELEMENT OF THIS RADIO AS I HAVE EXPERIENCED SOME SIGNAL BLEEDING ON RARE OCCASIONS. NO HEADPHONE JACK :(

DEFINITELY A 5-STAR RADIO NONE-THE-LESS!
VINE VOICEon May 20, 2013
I have read a lot of good reviews about Sangean's H-201Sangean H201 AM/FM Digital Shower Radio, so when this new improved version with Bluetooth wireless connection became available on amazon.com, I didn't hesitate a second and ordered one right away. The radio came in today, here are my thoughts about it after my 1st couple of hours' experience with this radio.

What I like:
1. What strikes me the most is how beautiful this radio looks, it's got a good size, somewhere between a portable radio and tabletop, and it has some weight to it, feels very solid holding in the hands. The enclosure is made of plastic, but good quality plastic with glossy finish. The only minor issue is its texture picks up fingerprints and smudges very easily.
2. The U/I is very well designed and thoughtout. I tried out all the radio's functions and features without once seeking the help from the user manual. Everything seems to be self-explanatory. The radio has a fairly big LCD display with back-light, which will turn on automatically and stay on for 15 seconds if a key is touched. The 5 pre-set memory is really handy, especially for a shower radio. Try to picture yourself in the shower reaching for your cell phone and try to change to a different station to listen to using one of those cell phone based radio apps, you will know what I mean.
3. This thing is really water-proof, it is more than adequate to use in a shower. I have not tried to drop it into a bucket of water yet, therefore can't say for sure if it will float or not.
4. The speaker seems to have good sound and tone quality, there's no distortion at all even at its highest setting. But I somewhat wished it could be louder, think about all the ambient noise there is while you are in the shower. An educated guess would be that it probably has something to do with the fact that the speaker has to be water-proof.

What needs to be improved:
1. Radio reception is mediocre on both FM and AM. This radio doesn't have a telescopic FM antenna, instead it has a soft wire that extends to a little over 3 feet inside the battery compartment, which may explain why FM reception falls short, but for a radio with its size, I would expect a much better AM sensitivity that the way it is. In fact, When I compared this radio with my Sony pocket size AM/FM radio, I was very much surprised that my Sony picked up more AM stations in better clarify than this Sangean radio.
2. Bluetooth wireless connecton is easy to set-up, I had no trouble pairing it up my iPhone 4s, but it only plays music, no phone calls can be made. A huge disappointment.
0Comment| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 18, 2016
I am very happy with this radio. It gets good reception on the station that is far away from me. It is well made and stout. I like the round handle that can be up or retracted. It takes 2 D batteries and I just had to change them for the first time (September) and I got the radio July 1st. I use it a lot so I was happy with how long they lasted. I carry it around to different rooms of the house and take it in the shower. I really recommend it. I don't use the wire antenna that's in the battery compartment. Prior to this I had a CCrane that I liked the small size, but it didn't last and had irritating electronic issues before it quit completely after only 3 years of use. It cost the same. This Sangean is a much better radio. The only thing I wish it had different was a headphone jack.